Posted: Oct 2nd 2011 11:57PM blackcat7k said

Hmmm... Now I see why this system took so long to be implemented. I may be wrong, and grasping at straws. However, it's hard to be trusting after a development team falls to the F2P mantra after promising a huge new feature and then failing to deliver it patch after patch.

Only to have it surface after they talked about the great difficulty in implementing the system. If this theory hold true then there should be a ton of Klink only content rolling out in short order after this goes live.

Posted: Oct 3rd 2011 12:14AM Seldra said

@blackcat7k
One can only hope.

---

While I unsubbed due to lack of content and frankly speaking, just utter boredom. I feel cautiously optimistic about the direction of the game and hope the new leadership gives the IP the justice it deserves.

Posted: Oct 3rd 2011 4:48AM augustgrace said

I have a strong suspicion that the "difficulties" they were having had more to do with Atari holding back resources while they looked to unload the company, than with technical difficulties. I know a lot of people felt burned by the launch of STO, and even more people are leery of the company being bought by a company with a rep for "asian grinders", but the STO deserves more credit than they receive.

Atari has been looking for some time to divest themselves of bigger capital games like mmorpgs, and I wonder how much of Cryptic's failings with CO & STO should really be laid at the door of Atari. Both CO and STO have improved since launch, but the changes to STO have been far more dramatic. I'm eager to see what Cryptic can do with proper resources.

Posted: Oct 3rd 2011 4:50AM augustgrace said

@augustgrace

Another thought. The assignments system for Duty Officers sounds like it could be very similar to the system Swtor promises for Companions; send companions/duty officers off to mine resources, craft, explore, etc.

Posted: Oct 3rd 2011 6:41AM startruck said

@augustgrace

Its very similar, just remove the animations, voice acting, connection with a storyline ..make it a 2d interface and make it a mixture of a facebook style mafia wars mission system with a trading card game and that's what it boils down to.

Posted: Oct 3rd 2011 6:55AM augustgrace said

@startruck

What...?
Get some sleep, reread my post and then come back.
Most of those factors have absolutely nothing to do with what I mentioned.

Posted: Oct 3rd 2011 7:06AM Lucidus said

@startruck It ain't all that. Seriously.

Posted: Oct 3rd 2011 8:34AM Kalex716 said

@Lucidus

hahaha, if it successfully combines all those games respective elements, it would be brilliant. All those games have award winning hooks, and make tons of money, and have huge user bases, and are fun to the many that play them.

If a game can actually capture all those things and offer them up as a side feature it would be a winner.

Posted: Oct 3rd 2011 6:48AM startruck said

thats actually a bit harsh as i re read it, there are some neat things going on with the system, it does add a new metthod of customizing your game through passive bonuses etc.

Posted: Oct 3rd 2011 7:20PM startruck said

Hmm maybe no one read my original post, I said remove those elements, not that it contained them.

And it is a mafia wars style minigame, with a trading card element.

You get missions, you send the duty officers on them and then a result comes up, there isn't any visual effects or animations, just a sort of card game interface.

I think the dungeons and dragons tiny heroes facebook game is a good example, or the everquest 2 facebook game, actully it is extremely similar to the everquest 2 facebook game.

Posted: Oct 3rd 2011 7:40PM The Grand Nagus said

Really looking forward to the Doff system. Although its not necessary, I plan to use the system on my ship's bridge or my captain's ready room just for aesthetic reasons. It should provide a nice fun little break between doing normal missions =/\=

The Stream Team: A SWTOR housing tour

Posted on Aug 20th 2014 3:00PM

The Daily Grind: What do you buy in MMOs?

Posted on Aug 20th 2014 8:00AM