Posted: Oct 1st 2011 7:05PM Irem said

I loved the beastmen in XI, especially the Yagudo, for all the reasons you mentioned. A big part of my main's RP concept was his fascination with the beastmen and willingness to try to negotiate and reason with them rather than fight--something that helped him and his companions and got them into huge trouble with pretty much equal regularity.

Posted: Oct 1st 2011 10:35PM Bramen said

I have always wondered why the Mithra were not considered beastmen.

Posted: Oct 1st 2011 11:08PM Irem said

@Bramen
According to legend among the people of Vana'diel, Mithra are one of the five "civilized" races created from Altana's tears.

Posted: Oct 2nd 2011 8:48PM Bramen said

@Irem Oh, thanks!

Posted: Oct 2nd 2011 8:50AM Azules said

Sylphs in XIV are pretty rad, I'm glad they're not enemies to the players, as they're ridiculously cute and I'd feel terrible smacking them around.

The 'plight' of beastmen in both games has always been, as is said above, very sensitively put. They live in Vana'diel with us in 11, but because they aren't the goddesses 'special races' they're treated like abominations, It often makes me feel like the chosen races are kind of entitled/ have a sense of superiority.

Posted: Oct 2nd 2011 8:50PM Bramen said

@Azules
You are right! I have felt that a good spin-off game to XI would be to play as beastmen fighting the "Civilized races" because of their racism/classicism. Near the end you would be fighting against the Gods' favoritism too.

Posted: Oct 2nd 2011 1:16PM Madrush said

This article makes me ask, yet again, "Why can't I ever play a beastmen race?" There is an entirely untapped lore just waiting... especially since the online FF games have gone through great lengths to show me the beastmen civilizations.

I just dont get why it has to be tall-skinny humanoid, short-plump humanoid, humanoid with tail, and bulldozer sized humanoid.

If they can build the Yagudo race (my faves!) and saturate the world with their story, why can't I learn that story beginning from the character creation screen?! Why can't a "beastmen" type race be built into the civilized world? Tribal in heritage, barbaric in tendency, but willing to begrudginly accept civilized law... when they absolutely have to.

Posted: Oct 2nd 2011 9:46PM Irem said

@Madrush
You have no idea how much of my immortal soul I would have been willing to personally mail first class to SE for the opportunity to play a Yagudo.

Posted: Oct 2nd 2011 3:42PM LA1111 said

The beastmen from FF11 were such a cool part of the game. Exploring their fortresses and hideouts was so neat :)

Giving them a greater presence in FF14 is a great idea

Posted: Oct 3rd 2011 12:33PM Magnux said

It would be interesting to play one of the beastmen tribes. They use the same jobs we have in the game, they probably have better moves :) and if we could interact with them they could teach us those moves.

But it would be kind of hard because they are so massive most of the time. Most people would not want to go with them it be like some of the WoW servers where the Horde outnumbers the alliance, except the other way around there be more regular humanoid vs beastmen.