Posted: Oct 2nd 2011 8:03AM Lenn said

@xBludx "I don't know why people are so emotional about this article. "

Blindly hating or fanboying SWTOR is THE thing to do. Haven't you noticed? The same can be said of Guild Wars 2. People see an article like this and will go "hey this guy/gal hates/loves this yet-to-be-released-and-therefore-impossible-to-review-to-any-real-degree MMORPG as much as I do! I simply must leave a comment to make sure everyone knows how I feel."

It's silly to think the game is a "WoW clone" based on someone who played it for 10 minutes, just as it is silly to think it will be the Second Coming. Just wait for the real reviews or, even better, play it yourself, before passing any kind of judgement.

That reminds me: has Massively ever done any article/column/soapbox on "WoW clones"? What makes a game a WoW clone? Why are we so friggin' obsessed with that term?

Posted: Oct 2nd 2011 12:10AM drunkingamebar said

I've said it many times and I'll say it again. I was truly excited for SW:ToR, but years of playing WoW I couldn't bring myself to play an all new SW themed WoW type game. The game play had really turned me off early on, and later the animation quality did the same - reminds me of a F2P Asian game (I'm not impressed) looks to be very stiff, compared to WoW even with it's "cartoon-y" graphic style it has very good animations; everything from key-turning to combat looks really smooth. SW:ToR you spin on your heals and all the combat animations look the same, no matter when you are doing.

WoW has brought a whole new level of quality to the table, it may not be the best at telling stories, but the game play alone just feels great. That is where a game shines, no matter how good or bad the story is, if it plays like a cardboard cutout it will bore people to death.

I honestly think think people who drop WoW for ToR will end up resubing to WoW within a few months, if not quitting altogether - maybe even waiting it out for GW2.

Posted: Oct 2nd 2011 1:08AM doublerainbow said

Nice reviews, and frankly for anyone hoping for a good SWTOR site to see lots of beta gameplay you can head to alterswtor.net

I personally cannot wait for Guild Wars 2. That game is just gorgeous, and the fact that they don't have an end game gear grind is awesome. They also are avoiding a steep leveling curve as well.

Can't wait for EON, cause I loved Westwood Studios, and frankly i can't wait to see what they cooked up over there.

Posted: Oct 2nd 2011 1:21AM (Unverified) said

I couldn't be happier that Bioware has decided not to go with an "array of aimed abilities and real twitch-based evasion mechanics." If I wanted those, I'd be playing Call of Duty, or Halo, or Battlefield, or Team Fortress or whatever.

Posted: Oct 2nd 2011 1:32AM OutThere said

It's foolish not to gather all available information about a game before deciding to spend time and money on it. Opinion pieces like this help to point out areas that need to be looked at carefully. If these points don't contribute to your enjoyment as a gamer, then ignore them. Personally, I don't really care that much about immersion. I'm more interested in ease of navigation and combat. So comments about breaking immersion aren't going to sway me one way or the other. But comments about combat do matter and will help me decide whether to buy a game or not.

The long delay in getting this out already has me worried. And there were red flags in this piece. 1) no character creation, usually the center piece of any AAA MMO; 2) only a few play booths at a huge gaming convention, indicating either that the dev is distracted or hunkered down, but in either case, not paying attention to this opportunity; 3) only a 10 minute game window, limiting the depth into the game one could get and the bugs one might find.

Whether these turn out to be indicative of deeper problems, we'll all know in a few months.

Posted: Oct 2nd 2011 1:45AM (Unverified) said

Have you guys ever considered that opinion isn't biased if their opinion is, they don't like something? I don't like beans, but that doesn't mean i have an agenda against beans.

I would like you guys to list "every" site that has a positive review for TOR. Listen, i'm gonna play TOR. I was INCREDIBLY excited about TOR until i saw GW2. Now i'm more excited about GW2, but i still want TOR.

The video game blog Kotaku has had nothing but negative and what i thought to be incredibly biased article about TOR. I had the same opinion about them as you guys seem to have about Massively.

But then i learned about betacake. It's a blog that posts info about MMOs; even NDA breaking stuff. Now, i would say about 70ish% of the Q&A and opinions from testers of the beta for TOR have an overwhelming negative opinion of the game for the very same aspect Massively calls out. This revelation has shaken my want for TOR, and i'm considering not dropping $250 for the collectors and just getting the regular edition.

I'm not saying you guys are babies and TOR is crap, and i'm not saying it's good. I can't give you my opinion on it until i do what all these writers have and played the game, but i'm not going to walk into a $250 dollar wall blindly if dozens of people are warning me not to.

If you look only at the good, that's all you'll see. Look at the whole and make the best opinion for you.

Posted: Oct 2nd 2011 3:15PM (Unverified) said

@(Unverified)
Yeah... I wouldn't use the betacake Q&As as a reliable feedback source if I were you.

Posted: Oct 2nd 2011 3:47PM Khal said

@(Unverified)

People that are happy with the game for the majority won't break NDA and run to sites like betacake. It's only the disgruntled. That's what humans do. When they don't like something they scream in every format they think will get them heard.

When they do like something they get quiet and suck on the bottle, just like a newborn baby. (course if you don't have kids you may not get that analogy)

Posted: Oct 3rd 2011 1:59AM (Unverified) said

@(Unverified) : I wouldn't walk into a $250 dollar wall blindly even if dozens of people were telling me it was the greatest thing ever. It's a ridiculous amount to commit to any unreleased game.

Posted: Oct 2nd 2011 2:05AM (Unverified) said

Nice article. Just from watching demos of Guild Wars 2 and SWTOR I am pretty much of the same opinion as the author. Trust me I 'want' SWTOR to be a mind blowing next gen MMO but from what I have seen, it just doesn't tick many boxes.

Guild Wars 2 really have added some true innovation to their game and that is 'exactly' what the MMO genre needs.

I will definitely purchase both games, already have SWTOR pre-ordered, but for me based on what I have so far seen and read, its GW2 that looks more impressive.

Blizzard will be sitting back watching these games with interest, they are in the box seat, no question about it. Their new MMO Titan will be a massive success, they have a few more years to watch, polish and innovate before they release it. WoW will get knocked off its pedastal in 2012, no question about it but expect Blizzard to bounce back and slap its competiiton ... hard!

Posted: Oct 2nd 2011 2:25AM (Unverified) said

"Swtor is so bland and underwhelming. But let's talk about it every chance we get anyway! Hell, let's talk about it way more than guild wars 2 even though we like to point out how clearly superior it is in order to maintain our street cred! Breaking news! Someone from bioware sent a bunch of mails by mistake (but it's really to taunt us, amarite?). 90+ comments yay \o/"

Posted: Oct 2nd 2011 2:41AM memoryx22 said

Lol. Sometimes I think 90% of all people forget that Bioware isn't working on SWTOR alone. Tbh I am a hardcore Bioware fan whom is always looming over the ME3 Website in hopes of getting some news. I knew that Bioware wouldn't make such a crappy looking game. So it had to be the infamous creator of Star Wars itself. Lucas arts, yeah!
So anyways, I did a simple search of Lucas's STWCW show on Cartoon Network, and looked at it side by side with a picture of SWTOR, and GUESS WHAT?!? They look EXACTLY the same.

When this game "fails" (Held up by fanboys), I will blame it completely on Lucas arts.

Posted: Oct 2nd 2011 11:33AM Lenn said

@memoryx22 Oh, come on now. You're talking about the artstyle. It has nothing to do with gameplay or how innovative or not the game is. I think Bioware stayed true to the style of the original KotOR game. Stylized realism is a smart choice anyway. It means it will not look outdated as quickly as other games do.

Posted: Oct 2nd 2011 2:54PM memoryx22 said

@Lenn

I don't think that it was just a coincidence that the Star Wars animated series and the game look exactly alike. They call it art design because it was stated in some contract they had to sign in order to use the licence. If Lucas Arts decided what the game was gonna look like, what else have they decided? I'm starting to think that it's really just a Lucas Arts game with Bioware RPG aspects. And tbh the game already looks fairly outdated. Some the upcoming MMOs have waaay better looking graphics than it, and even a lot of already released titles. I guess it looks good if all you've played is WoW and its predecessors.

Posted: Oct 2nd 2011 5:50PM Lenn said

@memoryx22 I would imagine Lucas decided on many things, since Star Wars is his baby. And so what? I happen to like the Clone Wars artstyle. It's all a matter of taste. If stylized graphics were detrimental to gameplay, WoW would not have reigned for as long as it did.

Posted: Oct 2nd 2011 3:05AM Valdur said

I would assume that Massively readers are mostly old timer MMORPG gamers and some of the new generation.This means that most of us has grown with the SW and that most of us want to see a SW game succeed since SWG pre NGE.But as much as I like the IP I'm on Brendan side on this one.

I was expecting more from Bioware EA(what remains of Bioware) in 2011 just like what Blizzard did in 2004.They took what already existed and refined it but Bioware EA went the copycat way instead of innovating and setting some new standard.

Personally I don't like the game even though I love the IP because I find the art design ugly and the animation stiff with a mid 2000 feel .Even though they copied the WoW style UI to the nearest it looks awful and flashy and I only watched a 7 mins video not even playing it.One year later I asked some friends who are/were in Beta and confirmed my original impressions.

I don't know how much pressure EA put on Bioware or was it Bioware decision to go down that path but trying to emulate WoW game.I think game will fail in the long run (6-9 months) due to that style of gameplay because a lot of player have been doing that for the last 7 years.The fifth pillar crap won't help any further because it's just a waste of big money for such little innovation.

Posted: Oct 2nd 2011 4:24AM Fuzzz said

I recall being excited when I heard about SWTOR, and when their website launched I was quick to check out development. But over the years, and having played some 100mmos, most only low-mid level and very few high lvl, I lost interest in SWTOR, because the EQ gameplay form never quite intrigued me, but considering they took WoW as their "exoskeleton" it would probably be more appropriate to say I never enjoyed the WoW type of gameplay.
some people say that Massively is biased, perchance it might just be that they all aren't really big fans of what they have seen and or had short experiences with.
the comment in the article "unexpected experience with" made me think that it was a positive experience with SWTOR, because I recall seeing the the first gameplay videos released on the the SWTOR website, and thinking too bad, now I'm not looking to rile up the the SWTOR dungeon dwellers, I myself have been GW2 rat since anet released the rumours of GW2, and GW2 saw its share of flaming before they started launching info, so to say that massively is biased toward a specific game =S I recall them stabbing a bit at the gw2 pod before it hatched info.
I will probably play a trial of SWTOR when that time comes, for the sole reason of it being SW, although gamemechanic wise I don't think I'll subscribe, but if it catches my interest, obviously I will sub, but by the time they release a trial I'll prob be playing GW2 and AoW and it will require a miracle for me to play something else, dedicatedly anyway.

Posted: Oct 2nd 2011 8:51AM zugu said

But what's new here? SW:TOR *WAS* suppoesed to be a WoW clone. Why are everyone's expectations so high?

Posted: Oct 2nd 2011 12:00PM Lenn said

@zugu Hype. "It's BioWare! It's Star Wars! How could this game NOT be Jesus in disguise?"

Personally, I don't mind "WoW in Space" one bit (whatever the hell is meant by that). WoW is a solid game. After five years it got stale to me, so I quit, but it wasn't because of the gameplay mechanics. TOR looks to be a game with pretty much those very mechanics firmly in place, with a few twists. Plus it has emphasis on story, and it's a completely different setting than WoW's. So I'm pretty stoked.

Posted: Oct 2nd 2011 9:45AM real65rcncom said

Wait, a ten minute demo review? I thought gaming sites didn't do that anymore because they hold no credibility?

How'd the writer get all that info from a ten minute demo? My guess... watching other people play the game while standing in long lines which doesn't make for good honest reviews but meh...