Posted: Oct 1st 2011 11:30PM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
@Ehra

Hey, if you're happy with less than 10 minutes of gameplay and reading about 'impressions' of it by a less knowledgeable and informed game journalist, then be my guest.
I'd feel ashamed if I had to give my impressions of less than 10 minutes of gameplay regardless if it was an MMORPG or a singleplayer game. Especially since the vast majority of game journalists seemed to have gotten a whole lot more gameplay time.

And don't give me that bullshit about it being negative and that's why the reactions, I would have raised my eyebrows and deemed the 'impressions' as trivial if they had been positive and less than 10 minutes, and still thought the same 'wth, he hardly played the game?'
And if he wouldn't have known that the combat mechanics weren't aim or twitch based but would have excited about his ingame experiences, then I'd still have frowned and had little respect for his journalistic skills, if he/she as a game journalist , an *MMORPG* game journalist wouldn't have known such a basic fact of a major MMORPG that would be launched within months.

Posted: Oct 1st 2011 11:31PM Valdur said

@Khalus

Agreed 100% and those same websites(professionals) gave AoC high praises then and we all know how it went after a month.

Posted: Oct 2nd 2011 9:46AM real65rcncom said

@RTaveira8

What? A ten minute review isn't enough for you? /snicker

Posted: Oct 2nd 2011 9:55AM Ehra said

@(Unverified)

lol.

Next time you reply to me try actually replying to the point I made.

Posted: Oct 2nd 2011 11:57AM Brianna Royce said

@(Unverified) wrote: "And frankly, I'm surprised, BW has had whole days and weekends where all renowned game and MMO sites were present to play SWTOR from 7 to 14-15 hours. Where were you people then, been sleeping? Don't tell me no one of your people were invited for those, they were I think in March and in December."

I attended the first of those events for Massively and played SWTOR for several hours. My write-up -- a positive one, as a matter of fact -- is right here: http://massively.joystiq.com/2010/12/15/hands-on-with-swtors-jedi-knight-on-tython/ . But perhaps you were sleeping. :)

You could also look up anything by Larry Everett, our actual SWTOR expert; he's obviously keen on the subject. While every journalist carries bias into an impressions piece, you can be sure our biases are our own and not the paid-for adverts of any games company, which is what you're getting on most other sites.

-Bree

Posted: Oct 3rd 2011 6:21PM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
@Brendan Drain

10 minutes is not time to do jack. Yet, you wrote half an article over that. Please get real and just announce yourself as a GW2 troll fanboy.

Posted: Oct 1st 2011 1:34PM Nottom said

I'm not someone that feels Bioware can do no wrong, and I'm not entirely pleased with some of the design choices they've made for SWTOR, but you come across as very biased from the outset of this section.

What you're really criticizing in much of the piece is the failure of the game to live up to your preconceptions and gameplay preferences.

It's fine if you don't like the game, but to use the gap between where the game is now in beta and what your expectations were for it going into the demo as grounds for concern regarding the launch is pretty foolish.

Posted: Oct 1st 2011 2:04PM Brendan Drain said

@Nottom The impressions in this article are solely my opinions based on my own experience of the demo at Eurogamer Expo. No-one can be said not to have bias when approaching a new game, especially one in a genre like this where we all have our own views of what gameplay mechanics would make a good game. At best, I can try to explain the mindset with which I approached the demo and why I took away the impressions I did.

I approached the demo already knowing that SWTOR looked very much like a Star Wars themed WoW clone. I fully expected the gameplay to be in line with traditional MMO standards, and I can't fault them for that. But I hoped to hell that I would be able to take away two things from the demo:
1 - That the voiceovers and storyline made the game incredibly immersive.
2 - That the game had innovative combat mechanics which suited the star wars universe (such as twitch-based lightsaber combat and directionally aimed force powers).

Seeing either one of those would have made this game a big hit for me, and I was let down on both counts. Those may have been naive expectations on my part, but having played MMOs for a long time and seeing

Expecting innovation in combat mechanics is probably a case of my expectations being way too high -- I knew fine well Bioware was sticking to the WoW model for gameplay and should really have guessed that this would include things like melee combat using the standard select-and-cast system. The lack of immersion was a bit of a surprise for me though, and something of a demotivator. That was either a failing of the game itself or of the demo at Eurogamer Expo.

The fact that I felt the immersion was broken means either the game wasn't immersive enough to keep me into the storyline between conversations and cutscenes, or the demo area we were allowed to try out didn't do a good job of delivering immersion. If a high degree of immersion can be found elsewhere in the game, why not demo a slice of it? Guild Wars 2 demoed a high level dynamic event because it showcased the best of what they wanted to show people, so why didn't Bioware do the same?

In short, if Bioware was putting its best foot forward with that demo, I'm not terribly impressed. If it was holding back something more awesome to be demonstrated before release, then I'll prepare to eat my words and lodge a pre-order. I genuinely want the game to be good, but with so many MMOs on the market I'm struggling to find a reason to play it other than because Star Wars is an awesome setting. I'm still signed up to the beta list and I'll probably still buy the game on launch to give it the one-month test, but I'm a lot less optimistic about it than I was before I tested the game.

Posted: Oct 1st 2011 2:13PM mechanicalturk said

@Nottom & @x4str0m3ch

Weird. Somebody stating their opinions and feelings toward a topic in an article about 'impressions'. Has the world had gone mad? An author expressing their bias, expectations, and tastes in commentary? Absurd! A game journalist not following the crowd? He dares to contradict the masses of rabid gamers who are sure to love the game? Catastrophic!

It's fine if you don't agree with Brendan, but to expect him to keep any personal preference and bias out of an opinion piece is pretty foolish.

Posted: Oct 1st 2011 2:15PM mechanicalturk said

@Nottom & @x4str0m3ch

See what I did there?

Posted: Oct 1st 2011 3:40PM x4str0m3ch said

@mechanicalturk

I didn't say a single thing about his writing in specific, nor did I say i thought his opinion was trash.

I only stated that is site is constantly on SWTOR's ass for being a WoW clone, and whether or not that's true, it gets old. I don't even really care that he didn't like it, or whatever else, to each his own. Thing is, he doesn't mention much about anything positive. And in fact, the only positive statement that I really leave the article with is:

" If all you're looking for is a new Star Wars-themed MMO with familiar gameplay, then SWTOR is sure to be a big hit with you."

Read: If you wanted to play WoW in space... buy this.

So that's where I'm coming from. You could be less of a jerk.

Posted: Oct 1st 2011 4:05PM RavenCries said

@Nottom

If folks are looking for an unbias point of view, I suspect the best practice would be to wait until Star Wars is released and play the game for yourself. You can't really complain about the author expressing his opinion in an opinion based article, it's simply how he felt.

I think with TOR I'm going to try and avoid forums as the launch day gets closer, and certainly try to avoid them after. I will probably read the review from a site I'm relatively comfortable with to be (or at least attempt) balanced beyond that I don't think there's much weight in reading other peoples "reviews".

All in all, TOR is looking pretty good, not revolutionary but certainly evolutionary. Looks like it'll be a whole lot of fun.

Posted: Oct 1st 2011 4:21PM mechanicalturk said

@x4str0m3ch

Good...your hate for Brendan's opinion has made you powerful. Now fulfill your destiny and take Brendan's place at Massively's side!

Posted: Oct 1st 2011 4:23PM Brendan Drain said

@mechanicalturk That is the single best comment in the history of the internet, I am now covered in coffee!

Posted: Oct 1st 2011 7:04PM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
@Brendan Drain

Lol. What kind of game journalist are you? A good MMO journalist would at least already have known that SWTOR didn't make use of aim based/shooter based mechanics nor twitch-based sabre combat.

Christ, this is 1 of the first things that an MMO/game journalist should have known already in 1 of the big AAA MMORPG's that's on the verge of arriving, just as an MMO game journalist that does his job alreaady should know that TERA is one of the upcoming AAA MMO's that uses that type of aim based combat.
Seriously, how long have you been doing this job if this, one of the basic elementary things to know about a new big title MMORPG, you didn't even know, even if this was already known for SWTOR for 1-2 years??

Posted: Oct 1st 2011 7:06PM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
@Brendan Drain

Other game journalists did feel impressed by the questing, in fact the majority did as well as common gamers who played and beta testers too, but they all had more playing time than 10 minutes and less.

Posted: Oct 1st 2011 11:08PM x4str0m3ch said

• 1 heart
@mechanicalturk

...

Wipe this pathetic article from the face of the galaxy.

Posted: Oct 1st 2011 1:51PM hereafter said

You can't go into TOR expecting a revolution. I have to disagree about the controls though. I played at E3 and the commands felt very responsive and intuitive. I developed a nice strategy with the abilities available and the auto-attack being replaced by an active button press helped it feel more dynamic than WoW. The focus on multiple enemies is also a change of pace and dealing with a full squad was actually pretty satisfying. dealing with multiple enemies in a given fight, plus having a companion with a full suite of abilities will probably keep the fights moving at a nice pace. I like that kind of multi-tasking and it's something WoW no longer has in most of its fights and never really focused on in the leveling game.

You really just have to play it and decide for yourself. I remember watching the screens outside the play area and thinking it looked a little more dull than I expected, but then I played it and had a blast.

Posted: Oct 1st 2011 1:54PM (Unverified) said

Considering people love KotOR, which uses similar mechanics to ToR as far as combat, I can't agree that clicking buttons to do weapon attacks or force powers doesn't work in a Star Wars setting.

Posted: Oct 1st 2011 2:48PM DevilSei said

@(Unverified)

Eh, I would have to disagree on the mechanics. Knights of the Old Republic was very much a D&D-based game. From what I've seen, they are going with the WoW/standard MMO mechanics, which work far more differently and are much simpler than that of Kotor.
They share some basic mechanics, but then again those same basic mechanics are found in just about every game out there.

One Shots: The sacred bosom dance