Posted: Sep 30th 2011 11:38AM MustardCutter said

• 1 heart
What a suprise, a long list about pve with a few lines about pvp with low priority, not even any new pvp content in the works (world boss is not pvp content). You'd think Funcom would realise by now that their unique combat system doesn't give anything to the game in pve, but it shines in pvp, there has been huge pvp potential in AoC since the beginning but the pvp crowd have mostly gone because Funcom want to focus solely on making just another pve grinder like every other game, but with not particularly interesting pve...

Posted: Sep 30th 2011 11:56AM urgan said

Is it possible to play that game without getting ganked yet? (Honest question)

Posted: Sep 30th 2011 12:30PM Jef Reahard said

@urgan

Sure, play on the PvE server. You'll only be subjected to random PvP if you willingly enter the border kingdom zone or a minigame.

Posted: Sep 30th 2011 12:05PM Seffrid said

There simply isn't the level of interest in PvP to make the application of significant development time worthwhile. Funcom are looking to expand the playerbase and it's primarily improvements in the PvE that will do that.
The AoC playerbase was never large and the PvP element was only ever a small part of that.

The only MMOs for which significant development time on PvP is worthwhile are those aimed specifically at the PvP crowd, which AoC is not, and they tend on the whole to be minutely small niche products of a poor quality or else your typical Asian PK grindfest of cash shop clone quality.

Given that, I think it's a decent list of things to come in AoC and it sounds like it's becoming a more stable product commercially which is a good thing.

Posted: Sep 30th 2011 1:18PM MustardCutter said

@Seffrid

Before Bori it was the pvp servers that were the most populated, and if you go back to launch the populations of pvp servers easily exceeded the pve ones. Basically when thie game had pvp potential it was busy and successful and after years of pandering to the pve crowd it has become a not particularly successful pve grinder with a constant shrinking population, I don't call that commercially successful.

Posted: Sep 30th 2011 3:21PM Poordevil said

@MustardCutter

The game population is not shrinking. I began playing months before the FtP launch and the game has livened up noticeably since then. The population really boomed right after FtP went live, then it settled back down some. But it is still much healthier than it was before FtP arrived. The real turn around for this game has been the FtP business model. Not the Conan movie, not the Dreamworld engine upgrade, not the new PvP server, it has been FtP and the accompanying cash shop that have breathed new life into this game.

You can tell by the tone of his recent updates that Sil and the devs are pleased with the progress AoC is making. I think the cash shop has been a big hit for them, which would be alright for us as players as well because it keeps the money coming in, and that is the grease that keeps those development gears turning!

Posted: Sep 30th 2011 2:45PM h4ngedm4n said

If anyone is still playing this game and wants the collectors edition box & contents for the cost of shipping, send me a pm and we can work something out. It is just collecting dust and a shame to toss the art book and soundtrack into the garbage.

Posted: Sep 30th 2011 10:14PM Faction 3 said

I hope they don't dick around with the Bear Shaman in that "Priest Update".

Hey Jef, what ever happened to the "Oakarm the Bear Shaman" threads? Was that an ongoing thing? Or just a "Choose my adventure"?

I enjoy reading those still.

Posted: Oct 1st 2011 12:05PM M1sterLee said

@MustardCutter

PvP Content? By which you must mean more players? Since PvP = Players vs Players then surely anything other than new players would be PvE not PvP content?

So then by continually improving the game overall and attracting new people to the game (not to mention opening a brand new server specifically for open world pvp, which I've no doubt you have never played on) must be 'adding new pvp content' since by definition there are more players?

Posted: Oct 1st 2011 1:33PM MustardCutter said

@M1sterLee

I have played on the blood and glory server actually, and it's a pointless server, it's the same as the normal pvp servers, people grinding KK for pve AA and pug mini games, just with no guards and bori switched off so there's a bit of open pvp whilst levelling and virtually none at 80. Funcom addressed none of the pvp issues with blood and glory, nobody asked for this new server. The EU one is near dead.

Additonal players ARE NOT pvp content, pvp content is different match types, world objectives, new maps. All these bring different flavours through new positioning, tactics, different ways of fighting etc. Only pve players make that kind of statement, your argument in a pve context is like saying new pve content is not needed because you can keep doing vistrix with different players each week, or saying pve players only need 1 mob in a blank, flat landscape because pve is essentially just fighting a mob. If your argument was correct, fps type games wouldn't add new maps or game modes to freshen up or renew people's interest in their game

Posted: Oct 1st 2011 4:52PM Poordevil said

@MustardCutter

Aren't new maps included in the PvP server just as the PvE ones? Turan is not a new map? Can you not PVP on the Turan map? If you say B&G, an open world PvP server is pointless... what does that say about PvP overall?

What kind of open word objectives would seal the deal? PvE has questing and raiding, what does PvP need to make killing live players worth while? If that alone is not nearly enough to make PvPing worth while, what kind of objectives would pump it full of fun and purpose?

Posted: Oct 1st 2011 5:29PM MustardCutter said

The B&G servers are identical to the old pvp servers, just with guards removed and bori switched off, this is not pvp content, why is this so hard to understand? Open world pvp died when Funcom tied pvp gear progression to tokens that were not available through open world pvp. AoC is gear dependent, you have to farm the gear and aa in minis to compete, if you are pvp-ing in open world you are not progressing. There is no carrot to get people fighting in the open world other than ganking questers for 'fun'.

Posted: Oct 2nd 2011 12:41AM Poordevil said

@MustardCutter

It is hard to understand how an open world PvP server is not PvP content, because you don't have a convincing reason why it isn't. Running around popping anyone you see, or who sees you, is PvP content. If you are PvPing in open world you are not progressing? What does that mean? I thought the object of PvP was to beat the opponent. That's what PvP is.

Secondly you haven't laid out a single example, in your opinion, of what genuine PvP content is. All you say is PvP is not what Funcom offers now. The gear system is wrong, the tokens are wrong. So what is the magic carrot that will encourage all the bravado PvPers to get out in the open world and fight ? What would be a form of progression that would be acceptable to you? What would really fill the B&G server with happy PvPers?

Posted: Oct 2nd 2011 3:56AM MustardCutter said

@Poordevil

B&G servers are not new pvp content because it is the same as the pvp servers that were already there!!!! And there is virtually no one wandering about in the open world at lvl 80, they are in kk or minis to progress through gear and AA which is essential to compete in pvp. And that's exactly what happens on the normal pvp servers, so there is no need for veterans to start again on the new server. Same shit, different name, not to mention splits the already small pvp population.

There are a million and one suggestions on the forums that funcom ignore, like king of the hill, world pvp quests, world pvp factions etc. etc. B&G is a fail because it did not address the fundamental issues with pvp in that you had to grind pve to get essential pve AA, and you only got enough pvp xp and AA through instanced minis. The only pvp activity in open world is to kill questers with zero reward/progression. Your character would be a total gimp if all you did was level to 80 and then hunt people question, and you'd harldy ever run into anyone to kill. AoC pvp is massively gear dependent Would you call that fun pvp?

Have you played this game or are you just one of Silirion's fanboys that take anything he says as gospel?

Posted: Oct 2nd 2011 1:10PM Poordevil said

@MustardCutter

Yea I play the game. I have brought a couple of characters to 80. After bringing the first one to max level I tried the expansion, and the AA stuff, and the faction quests, but I was kinda lost as far as direction and purpose, so I rerolled another toon and started over.

I have played some on Tyranny and have a character on the new PvP server, but full time PvP really isn't my thing. PvPing isn't why I play Age of Conan, I prefer the PvE stuff, questing, grouping, exploring. I can really get absorbed in the lore and beauty of the game, that is what attracts me.

Posted: Oct 2nd 2011 1:28PM MustardCutter said

@Poordevil

So you haven't really experienced endgame pve or pvp, nor been around long enough to know the history of the game, it's development and Funcom's track record then.

Posted: Oct 2nd 2011 2:01PM Poordevil said

@MustardCutter

I have been playing for about a year or so before FtP went live. Not since launch or before the expansion came out. I have played several different characters through Tortage and into their 30's or 40's. I have 2 Barbs at 80 which is the class I enjoy playing the most.

I am doing the end game PvE with my most recent 80 barb. If I can get into playing the Grasslands I'll stick with it. I haven't decided if I really enjoy the AA and faction stuff. I thought the game from 1-80 was a blast! Among the most enjoyable games I have ever played. I think it is a great Conan game and the only MMO I have any interest in playing at the moment.

Posted: Oct 3rd 2011 1:30AM MustardCutter said

@Poordevil

If you haven't really touched khitai (which is probably bigger than the whole 1-80 old world content) or AA, then you haven't really experienced endgame pve (highest you could have done is BRC and the easy 6 mans), so you'll also not know the difference between pvp with the essential pve AA and pvp without it to really understand one of my points.

WRUP: Lucky Korea