Posted: Sep 29th 2011 2:38PM real65rcncom said

"According to Gannon, End of Nations may be feeling the SWTOR pressure, too. The Trion Worlds MMO RTS was recently pushed back to 2012 as well."
**********************************

I'm with this guy on this one so hand me my tinfoil hat. If RIFT was doing well subwise, then I think they wouldn't have delayed EoN.

They would have been bringing in enough cash to keep pushing on it, but I have a feeling that given the new info they understood they have to pump RIFT up as much as they can, so they probably pulled people off EoN and Defiance to get these patches (1.5/1.6) ready before SWTOR launches.

There isn't any way I think they could have kept EoN up and running with less people working on it. Given the amount of servers low or shut off from the population, there is no doubt subs are falling pretty hard so they have a "all hands on deck" atmosphere at Trion more than likely.

Especially given the fact that longterm six-months subs are all expiring next week, and most vets seem to want to wait and see what 1.6 brings, because 1.5 wasn't designed as a major content push (zones, races).. just tideover things like AA for the 50s to have something to do.

Posted: Sep 29th 2011 2:43PM heerobya said

@Ren54

How is life in happy-go-lucky RIFT only Ren land?

No one is scared of TOR? LAWLALWLAWLALWLWLAWLWLALWLALWLALWWLALWLAWLALWLAWLWALWLAWALAWLWALWALWALWALWALWLWLALWWLAAWLWLAAWLWALAWLWLAWLWLALWWLAAWLAWLLWLAWWLALWALWAWLAWLLWLAWLAWLWLALWLWALWLWALLWLAWWLLAWLALWWLALLWLWAL

Posted: Sep 29th 2011 3:07PM real65rcncom said

@Ren54

This is the EU server status. http://www.riftstatus.net/shards/eu/stats

Two days ago all but three of those servers had RED numbers noting decline. All but three.

Yesterday, they drop a NEW patch and you're bragging about server status? Really?

You're saying that ONE DAY after a game releases a new patch with content, the US and EU servers were only able to get all "medium" with only a "few" at high? That's all it can muster? Not more than "most are at high"? Checkmate.

I'll tell you what: next week on October 6th, put this link up and we'll revisit your statements. You know.. the week that all the six month subs expire?

And way to derail another thread with your fanboism. I simply don't know why you don't combat the tons of people on your own RIFT forums talking bad about the game. You got enough to never have to post here ever.

Posted: Sep 29th 2011 4:45PM BigAndShiny said

@real65rcncom
IN three months right before GW2 launch you lot will be here telling us how TOR is empty, and how it was crap and how GW2 will be so much better. And so on, and so on, and so on.

Massively. Massively never changes.

Posted: Sep 29th 2011 6:56PM real65rcncom said

@BigAndShiny even if that were true about me (which it isn't) I fail to see what that has to do with the "conspiracy" theory I was talking about.

Fans will be fans though so I may allowances for your post as we all do for Ren.

Posted: Sep 29th 2011 3:27PM Valentina said

Actually ren54 is right, I check shard status on my phone when I'm bored and both in the U.S. and Europe the same servers have been high pop, and stayed that way for a while now, while the rest are medium. The population is NOT declining right now.

HOWEVER! When SWTOR comes there will be a decline, as is natural for MMO's when a new one comes out. The thing is, though that Rift will never die out because it's a popular game with time invested in it by many players, and it's got it's own things to offer. Plus, Trion handles their game so beautifully it'd be hard to never play Rift again just cause a new major release is coming out.

If Rift ever goes f2p, it's because it'll make sense to do so, not because it's "failing". I'm somewhat surprised SWTOR isn't launching as a "freemium" title, it's just the method that makes the most sense for a MMO. I always prefer subscriptions, by the way but it is what it is and I've come to accept that.

Posted: Sep 29th 2011 7:02PM real65rcncom said

@Ren54 "Trust me if Aion is still p2p it would take Trion just going AFK for a year straight and that might not even do it. Hell VANGUARD IS STILL p2p."

Your arguments never make sense because you seem to know little about the games you bring up in regards to RIFT.

Aion is a largely KOREAN based game with a huge korean audience and has been that way for years. They don't put AION ftp because the Korean community makes sure it runs just like FFXI doesn't go FTP because the Japanese keep it running. You have no understanding of market share and PRIMARY markets.

Vanguard didnt' go FTP yet because SOE owns EQ and Everquest2 which they (until recently) charged for so why would they put a game that is in direct competition with each other FTP like that? It's the reason SoE bought Vanguard in the first place; to keep a competitior away from turning it around and competing with EQ2.

I wish you would read more about the industry and rant less.

Posted: Sep 29th 2011 8:13PM JuliusSeizure said

@Ren54

'You have to be in bad shape to go f2p and even then companies still start banking it.'

Explain LotRO and City of Heroes. There are others that could be argued were doing well enough as subscription but went F2P anyway, but these two are undeniable.

And just as an aside, the implication that a game has to be bad to go F2P is based on a logical fallacy. If a game is bad people might play it for free out of curiosity, but they're not going to waste money on anything that doesn't at all appeal to them. Only a -subscription only- or B2P game can trick people into paying before they can formulate their own opinion on whether it's worth spending money on.

Posted: Sep 29th 2011 4:11PM scottsummer said

Stop hating the Chocobo Gary.
chocobo theme is legendary.

Posted: Sep 29th 2011 5:00PM myhumps said

So are they saying TOR would have come out sooner if D3 wasn't pushed back?

Posted: Sep 29th 2011 5:20PM WrecklessMEDIC said

@myhumps I think Diablo 3 getting pushed back just opened a bigger window of opportunity for SWTOR into December. BioWare probably had plans for a November launch but Diablo's delay gives them more time to test, test, polish.... test, test, polish.

Posted: Sep 29th 2011 8:18PM JuliusSeizure said

@Ren54

I'm sorry. Are you under the impression that profit reports will magically generate income for a corporation from the ether if a product is released earlier, or did you just phrase poorly?

Posted: Sep 29th 2011 8:55PM (Unverified) said

If Rift is dropping 1.5 in anticipation of TOR, shouldn't they release it closer to TOR's release date?

I don't think Trion's RTS would be affected by TOR, WoW or whatnot - different genres usually attract different segments of the market. I assume that's how Blizzard managed to turn a profit with Starcraft and WoW.

And finally, dang it FF14 need to implement the jump function as soon as possible. And hawkstrid- uh, I mean chocobos. Chocobos.

Posted: Oct 2nd 2011 12:54PM GMGOD2011 said

I been role playing World of Darkness paper and pen for nearly 14 years. My biggest concerns with the upcoming sandbox style mmo from ccp is. How they intend to choose a prince of the city played by a player who has control over all vampires vs a npc (gm). Especially when you're talking about Permanent-death and loss of another players character or controlling another players choices.And to have those choices dictated by another player who may or may not have proper training and disciplines himself/herself. One thing I have learned from playing with nearly 100 players over these years is everyone has their own style of game play, and own rules and guidelines. Each gm and players have their own expectations when it comes to game play.I thought ccp was going a whole new direction away from its hardcore player vs player system Eve Online? To me this sounds like they are taking a well established pen and paper game and tossing it into the garbage. I really hope ccp takes into consideration, this is a role playing based genre not a player vs player based genre. I curious how they plan to discipline a player who loses humanity or for breaking the masquerade. Is this going to just involve the vampire community? Or do they plan to introduce the entire WoD world?Such as Sabaat,Werewolves,Wyrm,Demons,Mummy,Ghouls, ,Changeling also? From what I have read and heard from watching podcasts I am somewhat skeptical at this point.