Posted: Sep 29th 2011 2:12PM nimzy said

Then of course there's guys like me that sit down with our alcohol of choice and just roll with it. It's less a focused guild than a theme party you happen to be hosting.

...if everything is going well that is.

Posted: Sep 29th 2011 4:26PM (Unverified) said

I embody the Motivational Speaker. When I raid-lead for my team, I was often the cheering voice constantly encouraging them to strive for better and better results. And more than a few times I got told that while they appreciated me trying to help out, they wish I would just shut up for a minute. Of course, it was all in good humor ...

... until loot jealousy ruined our team. Yeah, now I'm sad. And without a raid team.

Posted: Sep 29th 2011 5:26PM (Unverified) said

I had to deal with a yeller in my guild, but the concept of a guild mirroring that tone was completely subverted. It was primarily a girl guild, though I was allowed in, with my wife as a "sponsor". Many of the guild members fell in the non-leader equivelant of den-mother, and it clearly clashed with the raid leader, whom was not only running our raid nights, but raiding with the top guild on the server as their main tank. He was a hard-core raider, and our guild was much more casual.

The stress eventually got me removed from the guild after he said something he really shouldn't have, and I responded in kind. Two people disagree, and one has the gun (aka "remove from guild"), so it happens. The stress he was going through was a bad cycle, though. Guild members were casual, but no one liked turning hard-mode off. Everyone wanted to keep smashing face against a boss, but no one was really able or willing to raid enough throughout the week to make as many attempts as we wanted, while still clearing things we already had down.

Of course, when I say "Everyone," I mean the most vocal raiders. The rest were casual enough to just roll with whatever. And this was all under the leadership of a hardcore raid leader who couldn't tell whether this little guild wanted progress or just to kill some stuff.

Hrm, conflict with the raid leader aside, I hope that division doesn't kill the guild. I liked most of the members a lot, but things were coming to a head as I was about to quit on my own.

Posted: Sep 30th 2011 7:58PM Shazzie said

Den mother is EXACTLY what I was in my EQ1 guild! Fortunately I *knew* that I was biting off more than I could chew when I was promoted to guild leader, and that burnout was likely, so I installed an Officer Council (made up of some great motivational speakers and even a couple of yellers)... and it worked out fantastically.

I still miss that guild. More than any guild I have been in since. Far more.

One Shots: Cruising for Borg

Posted on Dec 22nd 2014 10:00AM

MMO Week in Review: Are you Elite or Dangerous?

Posted on Dec 21st 2014 8:00PM