Posted: Sep 28th 2011 8:09AM (Unverified) said

I think the way Aion handled their entire first year of Veterans rewards was excellent.
They actually gave you items that made your game experience worth the veteran status. an example were the wings.

I know some months went by with regular stuff, but we got free pets and i think the most important stuff were really the wings that gave us that extra flight time without having to shell out huge amount of Kinah to buy them.

I stopped playing it at 16 months. But their 2years look awesome. In addition to this post. you should also mention the Collectors Edition perks.

rift gave a piece of shit turtle that wasnt even as fast the 100+ silver horse you were able to get just wihtin a few hours of playing the game.

Their collectors edition perks in comparison to, aion was Garbage.

Posted: Sep 28th 2011 8:18AM willdenham said

@(Unverified) Just for the sake of clarification, the turtle mount you receive from the CE of Rift is exactly the same speed of the Horse that is purchasable within the first hour of game play (and the horse costs 1.5 platinum, not 100 silver). At the beginning of the game, the turtle is 60% movement speed and then grows to match the movement speed of other mounts that you acquire in-game.

Posted: Sep 28th 2011 8:32AM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
@willdenham
Well, they must have updated that since i quit the game within the first month and clearly, i had to buy that Horse because my turtle was so dam slow.
And yes, you are right on the price, i dont remember the amount but it was high enough and that turtle was garbage

Posted: Sep 28th 2011 9:19AM Caerus said

@(Unverified)

The turtle was the same speed (60%) as the first mount you could get, and had been since at least CBT6. The only faster mounts are at level 40 and 50; I think you're remembering it wrong.

They added the mount speed scaling in a later patch, maybe 1.2, so I can guarantee that your turtle was the same speed as any mount in the game before level 40 if you quit around launch.

Posted: Sep 28th 2011 10:18AM MtthwRddl said

@(Unverified) I think Veterans Rewards should be great but Collectors Rewards should be mainly cosmetic. Just because you're dropping extra cash in the beginning doesn't mean you should get an amazing gift right from the start.

Honestly it seems like the person above has let his poor thoughts about RIFT cloud his mind because he's clearly making up information on the spot to make it look bad.

Posted: Sep 28th 2011 8:16AM StringBoi said

Well, vet rewards should have never started. Theres always going to be lots of ppl who get the same thing you do (pet, mount, pots) that it doesnt even make you, or the item feel special for being a long time subscriber and supporter of a game. To be honest, there hasnt been a single vet reward in any game that made me feel special or that I even cared that I got. Same thing with Collector Editions of games, you get some crappy in game item for spending more REAL cash, and they are usually worthless.

Posted: Sep 28th 2011 8:32AM Dumac said

I think veteran rewards is a dumb concept and i don't really care.

Posted: Sep 28th 2011 10:35AM Utakata said

@Dumac

You must like WoW's veteran rewards system.

Posted: Sep 28th 2011 10:59AM Dumac said

@Utakata
I'm not sure what you are referring to. The free copy of WoW classic thing ? That's not such a bad idea.

Maybe saying it's a dumb concept is too harsh, but i am rarely swayed by things that are just handed out like vet rewards. Status items are nice to have, but the manner in which they are obtained has a bearing on what they mean. A hat that says you were subscribed for 12 months isn't saying anything particularly noteworthy. A free game is obviously a notch better.

Posted: Sep 28th 2011 6:26PM Utakata said

@Dumac

The lack of rewards that veteran players recieve from WoW is what I am referring to. A couple of limited time pets and that thing you where mentioning....is all that I've seen rewarded to players who have had long standing subscription with them. So maybe that's a game for you. Just saying. :)

Posted: Sep 28th 2011 8:39AM HiroProtagonist7 said

My Veteran Awards Wishlist:

1) Something real that represents the game - a little figurine, t-shirt, hat, whatever. Something tangible.

2) If there is an item shop, allow full access after 12 months of subsctiption

3) More minions. I'm always running low on minions. How am I supposed to play 3 games at a time if I don't have a platoon of minions to do my work for me?

Posted: Sep 28th 2011 8:45AM smartstep said

Don't care tbh. Veteran rewards are NOT what decide for me to stay subscribed / playing for long or not.

Actually over the years playing mmorpg's ONLY thing that can keep me hooked for longer is feeling of a 'living in a fictional world' that mmorpg's used to give.

Becasue mmorpg's evolutioned in a way that does not give this feeling anymore (gear grind treadmill , comabt only focus , detoriation of community) they feel like single player games with multiplayer options of running 'missions' (instances).

So because they feel lately similar to single player games I am not hooked long-term anymore.

Veteran rewards don't have any meaning for me.

Want me to stick with a mmorpg for long time even years?

Create worlds again.

Posted: Sep 28th 2011 9:46AM KDolo said

@smartstep

"Evolutioned" made me lol.

Anyway, they're not interested in you specifically to keep subbing but large groups in general. If what you want doesn't line up with that, I think you'll be SOL for a long time

Posted: Sep 28th 2011 10:19AM HiroProtagonist7 said

@smartstep
on a more serious note - I completely agree.

I do need minions though. If you run across any, send them my way. I'm getting really desperate so just plain old short people will work. I'll just spraypaint them red and attach horns or something.

Posted: Sep 28th 2011 10:48AM smartstep said

@KDolo

yeah well obviously English not my native language and massively don't allow edits :/

Sure I am aware of that. Actually I am aware of that for quite a bit of time , one of the reasons I am not playing any mmorpg's for a half year already.

I am ready to have even a few years break from mmorpg's , cause you know I tried to play current mmorpg's , how they are made. For an almost a year it was even fun , but it just got old very fast.

F2P just nailed the coffin for me , and yeah I tried to play both f2p and freemum games. For first weeks it was ok , but then I just realized how bad for my gameplay experience this model is , this flaw which is in core of this model (cash shop selling in-game things) , just kill the fun.

-----

Anyway to cut the crap. I am very aware that I will have to wait years or worse for a P2P game without crappy cash shop and game that build a world.

Well I just realized that current mmorpg's are just not a kind of game (not talking about separate features that I don't care that much tbh) I want.

If there will be ever again game like that I will be able to shell out good money for it. If not , well au revoir , do widzenia , good bye - mmorpg's was fun while it lasted.

Posted: Sep 28th 2011 11:21AM Floop the Squirrel said

@smartstep

Well said.

Posted: Sep 28th 2011 8:50AM nimzy said

The only veteran reward that ever mattered to me was the veteran tag next to my name in Battlefield 2142 (because I had played so much in Battlefield 2, natch). But I digress.

Really, what we're talking about here is rewarding people who have stayed with a game for a long amount of time. If you're a game like EVE Online, you don't need to reward your veteran players because they've already rewarded themselves now that they have, and will always have, better skills than someone that's been a subscriber for less time than the veterans have. In other MMOs the super-rare items are already the exclusive realm of veteran players. The reward, then, should be cosmetic and extremely superficial, like a title.

If you want to get extremely radical, perhaps you could give them a permanent discount on the subscription fees of accounts that have been active for longer than say 16 months. Maybe 75% off. Or eliminate it altogether. Now that's a reward for veterans.

Posted: Sep 28th 2011 8:56AM Thorqemada said

I dont care for Veteran Rewards, they dont make me stay, do not make a bad game good, be no substitute for mmo-leaving friends.
Deliver a good game, a game that is not a refined version but an evolution of the old first generation mmos and deliver good updating, fixing, expansions.
If its good enough i may even come back every other month when i was trying new mmos out.

Posted: Sep 28th 2011 9:03AM fallwind said

isn't that just a variance on Pay To Win? or rather "Pay to wait to win"?

Posted: Sep 28th 2011 9:47AM KDolo said

@fallwind

Not in RIFT's case. Apparently you can pay up front to win.