Posted: Sep 28th 2011 9:06PM real65rcncom said

I tend to think just about everyone who tried RIFT and didnt stay subbed didn't "hate" it because it's an okay game.

It's just.. I've never been so bored with a quality mmo in my life. It has a lot of things you'd think would make it great but it just lacks umpff. I honestly can say I've never enjoyed and then gotten bored in an mmo as fast as it was for me in RIFT (and no, I'm not burned out lol. Going to play SWTOR and GW2, and having fun in EQX right now.)

There just isn't any fun factor past two months because it's all about grinding in dungeons and lackluster events. They make a lot of them but what does that matter if they bore you after two weeks?

Posted: Sep 28th 2011 9:42PM Janitor said

@real65rcncom thats how i felt about it. It didn't have any "life/energy/backbone" to it...it was just there...it didn't draw me in.

Posted: Sep 28th 2011 10:01PM TortoiseCan said

@real65rcncom

I think you hit the nail on the head for me as well, although it's really hard to put my finger on that "oomph" factor that it's missing.

Is it lack of content? Lore? Usually if there's an issue with a game, I can pinpoint it. With Rift, I'm not quite sure what the problem is, it's just not compelling.

I'm hoping that whatever the problem is (I am guessing lack of content) will eventually be fixed because I really appreciate the quality of this game.

Posted: Sep 28th 2011 10:43PM Spacegrass said

@real65rcncom

I had the exact same problem. In addition to the repetitive quests and dungeons, I think one of the big problems is that there aren't enough warzones. The Black Garden and The Codex can be fun, but Port Scion can't be accessed until level 50, and Whitefall is just awful; whoever gets the first flag will inevitably win the match, and it's just a waste of time until the match ends.

Posted: Sep 28th 2011 10:43PM real65rcncom said

@Ren54

Quitting RIFT to play TOR? I don't think you actually read anything anyone says but looks to see if they say something nice about RIFT.

If you read what I said, it would be pretty obvious even to Stevie Wonder that I would be quitting RIFT even if there was NO TOR at all. It's just not that exciting a game. It works ok, looks ok, has a great price (cant beat $8/month unless it's FTP), and the company seems "nice". But that's just it.. it's a mild game like Leave it to Beaver mild.. mayonaisse and whitebread mild.

You can sit there and push three macros and play this whole game. The fights are all AoE taunt/heal/dps. Every single one. The gear is horribly itemized. Early PvP is fun, but later PvP is.. brutal. Just so much of the game screams "Milktoast".

If you like it, that's good. Thats not a judgment on your taste as a person, heck lots of people like mayo and whitebread and hate hotsauce and sourdough. But stop attacking people because they find it otherwise.

Posted: Sep 28th 2011 10:47PM (Unverified) said

@Ren54

Do you read anything you reply to? He said he was bored with RIFT. That's why he quit.

Posted: Sep 28th 2011 11:26PM TheClaw said

@real65rcncom : couldn't agree more. There's nothing about Rift that made me say "that sucks", but there was also nothing that made me say "that's awesome!". Just a whole lot of things that made me say "y'know, that's pretty much the same as WoW."

I've been playing Guild Wars, which I'd never touched prior to this year, and despite its age, I'm finding it much, much fresher and "newer" feeling than Rift, simply because it's not the same as all the other class/race/level/solo questgrind/raid MMOs.

Posted: Sep 29th 2011 1:00AM (Unverified) said

@real65rcncom While I have no personal interest in the games you listed (waiting for TERA myself, even went back to dabbling in WOW), I agree with the premise. I played RIFT a month, and while I had nothing terrible to say about it, it just fell very flat as a quality product. Everything was technically good, and all the elements of a good theme park MMO were there, but it just seemed to lack some kind of spark. When I played FFXI or WoW, something about them just captured me from day 1. RIFT had all the trappings I was looking for, but seemed to lack that world or 'life' that captures me in MMOs.

I suppose the one big complaint, which was by no means game breaking to me, was the generic appearances of things. Armour looked consistently bland, and races were so similar that unless somebody was a dwarf I'd have to zoom in and spend some time trying to figure out what race they were. For all intents and purposes, 2/3 races on each side were pretty much exactly the same (Human and Elf). Not a game breaking issue, but it was mildly annoying.

Posted: Sep 29th 2011 1:01AM Addfwyn said

Posted: Sep 29th 2011 2:15AM JuliusSeizure said

@Ren54

You've completely cracked now, haven't you? You've ceased to even look like you're trying to make sense.

Incidentally, I gave up on RIFT ages ago out of boredom. Now that I've finally tried CoH, I think I may have my game of choice for the next little while. Oh, and my interest in SW:TOR is only marginally higher than it is in RIFT.

Posted: Sep 29th 2011 5:49AM Graill440 said

@real65rcncom

Well stated. I would add the ridiculous amount of healing and buffs. You MUST heal or your going nowhere.

Posted: Sep 29th 2011 9:00AM Equillian said

@TheClaw

Ren54 works for rift.

Posted: Sep 29th 2011 9:24AM Deadalon said

I have to agree that tho RIFT is a pretty solid game - It is abit lifeless and quite a few of the quests - specially the mid lvl ones are just horrendously bad designed and boring.

I love the diffrent souls that are available but I would like to see more features in every soul and some uniqe ones as well.

For the Lifeless part - I think it has abit to do with the sound that I find rather dull - and at least for my audiocard has quite a few issues when it comes to 3D effects. It becomes way to loud and overwhelms most of my own casts that make casting very annoying cause the CD system in the game is not that great.

In terms of story and lore - the game world feels small and repetitive. Something that could be added to with new lvl 50 zones and hopefully that will happen sooner rather than later. But personally - I would like to see devs go back and fix some of the worst quests and mob placements during the lvling before that happens.

My sub ran out 2 weeks ago and because of beeing extra busy RL - I did not renew. But RIFT is atm the go to game over any other MMO game. I be back at some point and I hope the game has improved even further when that happens.

Posted: Sep 29th 2011 8:23PM (Unverified) said

@Ren54

Where did he say he wasn't sure why he was bored? He specifically sited lackluster events and dungeon grinding as reasons.

And where did he say that TOR was his solution to that boredom. Nothing can solve that problem except changes in RIFT. And then you again put words in his mouth, saying he's quitting for TOR.

You did answer my question though. You must be reading, but your comprehension is incredibly poor.

Posted: Sep 28th 2011 9:08PM rotcafnogaw said

i like rift for what it is. ive been playing since beta. but for me, it requires frequent breaks. usually play for about 3 weeks to a month and then take a 2 or 3 week break, resub, etc. ive been insanely addicted to terraria lately :O so i havent been on in awhile but w 1.5 just launching, ill resub over the weekend.

otherwise, great write up

Posted: Sep 28th 2011 9:51PM Janitor said

I think the next "Choose My Adventure" should deal with smaller mmos/"hidden gems". I am very curious about Perpetuum, that I would love to see a Choose My Adventure on, then add other (smaller) ones, maybe even FlyFF? I dunno...just a change of pace =)

Posted: Sep 28th 2011 9:53PM Celtar said

Nicely written article Larry, I have to agree with all points and honestly can't add anything your article besides "me to". I wanted to really fall in love with Rift due to knowing Scott from the old days at Gemstone from Simutronics, and because Scott himself is just such a wonderfully nice guy and a real fan of the genre. His passion really comes through and the customer service ethics that Trion has showed also really warmed me to the whole company.

Sadly basically your article summed up across the board why I didn't stay. I'll always keep an eye on Trion and Rift just because doing those Rifts was so fun and reminded me of the 1990s and dealing with massive invasions in Gemstone and Dragonrealms after that. So many things Trion got right but so many other things that were the deal breaker "for me" they got wrong.

I wish them well and hope they continue to be successful regardless of my not playing.

Posted: Sep 28th 2011 9:56PM Celtar said

As an additional note while I'm thinking about it, I really don't expect much from SWTOR to be any differently. Blizzard set the bar for success and no matter how much of a hobby this is, it still is a business.

My own hope lies with Arche Age or The Secret World. Though I don't hold my breath in regards to Funcom, more often then not I'll find myself frustrated in regard to them. Arche Age if I am recalling the name correctly looks really interesting, we shall see.

Posted: Sep 28th 2011 10:36PM real65rcncom said

@Ren54

Ren, no one saying RIFT sucks. Do us all a favor and please stop defending it like it's up for the death penalty in Texas, okay?

It's a fine game, but because you and many RIFT fans are so rabid (just like WAR fans were) about anything said you don't register that.

RIFT is like a brand new 1980 Volvo. It's not flashy, nor is it fast or exciting or extremely attractive (armors), but it's very safe, dependable, predictable and will deliver you to Point B (raiding) without a scratch (easy leveling).

Posted: Sep 28th 2011 10:45PM Spacegrass said

@real65rcncom

I actually liked most of the armor in Rift; it manages to be cool-looking without being as cartoonishly unrealistic as most of the armor in WoW or, sad to say, SWTOR.

The Stream Team: Elite Dangerous returns