Posted: Sep 28th 2011 11:19AM drginger said

I cannot believe they did this. The manastone system is the sole reason why some people have left and/or are staying away from Aion all together. Pretty much everyone I know in the Aion community were waiting for socketing supplements which would substantially increase the chance of getting a succesful socket proc, but adding the new supplements to the cash-shop when the game already has a subscription is just flat out wrong.
So far, the cash-shop has not had any gamebreaking items. It has mostly consisted of weapon and armor skins, armor dyes and pets. But these supplements adds the Pay 2 Win aspect to the already Pay 2 Play Aion. Thank god my sub ran out 4 days ago.

Posted: Sep 28th 2011 1:51PM (Unverified) said

@(Unverified)

It was acutally "I can fly, but only in certain zones, and then only for an agonisingly short time, because it might be too much fun otherwise".

Posted: Sep 28th 2011 3:13PM Boardwalker said

@drginger

Hopefully we are on the same side and server, because then you can send me your stuff before you log off for good. I heard this news yesterday, shrugged, logged in, and still had a fun time. I didn't panic or anything. Go figure.

Posted: Sep 28th 2011 4:08PM Seldra said

@drginger
I see a lot of asian made mmos do this crap with their crafting and upgrading stuff. Nexon especially is a major culprit of this, if they didn't start the trend over at Maple Story. 60-85% failure rate on creating stuff plus the loss of all the mats and equipment you wanted to upgrade. Of course this is negated by buying for a low low price for 5 dollars in the cashshop. Hell even Pocket Legends the most popular mobile MMO does this too.

I support CS's if it's just vanity, it's stuff like this though that I don't support.

Posted: Sep 28th 2011 4:50PM drginger said

@Boardwalker
My sub ran out 4 days ago, and I can't take advantage of the reactivation event, because: " Inactive players as of September 15, 2011 (at 12:00 AM PDT) are not eligible."

Buy me some playtime and I'll be happy to send you the goodies ;) EU Perento asmo-side. I'm afraid my goodies were raped while trying to socket manastones.

Posted: Sep 28th 2011 11:25AM (Unverified) said

I think they've gone too far with this. I've read some folk not having any problems with this decision but I don't see how that's possible.
They promised there wouldn't be any game changing items for sale on the cash shop. Isn't 100% manastone socketing game changing enough? Promises mean nothing nowadays.
So many things Aion could have done to try and cater better to the Western subscribers, but they haven't and it seems they will never listen.

Posted: Sep 28th 2011 11:42AM smartstep said

Yeah. I was cheering for Aion as they were pumping out alot of patches lately , changing game for better , etc

But well seems they go with microtransaction crap , it was already bad that they added cosmetic cash shop to p2p game some time ago , but this what they have done now, well that just crossed the line , even though I can see other games following this pattern of adding bigger and more influential cash shops to p2p games.

Well Aion won't get single euro more from me, nor any other games following this path won't. Since most will follow this path sooner or later , that kinda sad state of affairs ,both for me as a player since I won't have nothing to play , and well not that they care much it seems , bit they won't see money going from my wallet to game publishers accounts as well.

Posted: Sep 28th 2011 11:45AM Fabius Bile said

the public talked and the market listened.

I heard you like pay2win cash shop items, so you put a cash shop item in your subscription so you can pay2win while you pay2win

c'mon massively, keep making articles about how cash shop is the future, its doing wonders for the playerbase dont you see?

Posted: Sep 28th 2011 11:57AM Sukiyaki said

@Fabius Bile
Its the also the fault all of those condemning these kind of sales supporting it by just looking away.

The problem nowadays is that these numerous new people whom not only buy but also started to demand these kind of sales, do not feel any pressure or guilt when buying advantages. Their friends and guildmates look away as they indirectly gain some advantage from their "partners" too.

Many say "oh yeah P2W is bad" then turn around and do not bring out any noice when facing their own friends and guildmates buying them and thus promoting the sales as viable to the publisher. Or worse buy them themself and just talk cheap to save public face.

Posted: Sep 28th 2011 1:16PM kgptzac said

@Fabius Bile

Are you saying Massively made NCSoft to implement this? Wouldn't it be more sensible to point the accusasion to Aion's own player base? Or maybe to "corporate greed" or whatnot?

Posted: Sep 28th 2011 1:41PM Fabius Bile said

@kgptzac
Im not saying Massively implemented it , Im saying the tone of this site for the last year has alarmingly become more and more pro-F2P and pro-Cash Shop. and pay to win items go hand in hand to those.

you cannot then surprise when the developers monetize their product to the fullest without giving a damn at the game balance, because they know there are plenty of wallet warriors out there willing to spend their lifetime savings in digital godhood, while sites like this one cheer them

Posted: Sep 28th 2011 3:59PM fallwind said

@Sukiyaki

you say that like pay to win is a new thing... eBay has been providing P2W since the 90s. Gold sellers, power levelers, rare items... none of this is new, and if it didn't destroy the genre in the first 15 years, why is the end is suddenly nigh now?

*sits back and waits for the downmods*

Posted: Sep 28th 2011 5:18PM Jef Reahard said

@Fabius Bile

I think that depends on who you read and what kind of article it is, tbh. For example, you won't find a more anti-cash shop writer than me, but that bias usually doesn't come out in news posts like this because we're supposed to maintain a bit of objectivity.

In columns and other op-ed pieces, though, the gloves can (and do) come off. The staff here isn't unilaterally "in favor" of cash shops, but we do recognize that the industry is headed that way and (unfortunately, from my perspective) we have to report on it.

Posted: Sep 28th 2011 11:48AM KnocG said

Wow! This really ruins the integrity of the game. Cash Shops should not sell power, especially pay to play or buy to play games with cash shop. The user is already supporting your game via buying the box and monthly fees as well as cosmetic purchases.

But sadly the more players keep buying these sorts of items, the more publishers will try to sell power. I could definitely see this 9/28 - 10/11 being a test run to see how the community reacts and how much profit they can squeeze out of it. If it looks promising I can see more items like this being sold on a more permanent basis.

If this is the future of MMOs then you can leave me out of it.

Posted: Sep 28th 2011 11:48AM Sukiyaki said

So much good new and positive response lately. They could have gone for a whole untainted new relaunch.

If the playerbase doesnt boycott this ACTIVELY its their own fault for supporting this by looking away.

If you have friends or guildmates TELL them your opinion on this.

Talk about how about your distaste against these sales IN the game channels aslong as the event runs..

Create a negative atmosphere and pressure on and about everyone who's promoting more events like these by buying it.

Posted: Sep 28th 2011 4:14PM Seldra said

@Sukiyaki
Sorry but it just seems rather self-righteous to do that. If someone has an issue with whatever that's their business, they're more than welcome to vote with their wallet. But what you suggest is more like jamming one's own opinions down someone else's throat.

Posted: Sep 28th 2011 12:04PM hassaun2006 said

I can't stand cash shops, honestly, because they are either tacked onto sub games now, or they are looked at as an alternative to subs for failing games.

the reason f2p got popular in the first place is because people like "free" even if it really means is they have to pay a little for it. what they dont realize is that they end up paying gads more for these games than they would have if they'd just paid the 15 bucks a month.

This kind of thing can only last so long before people collectively say "yeah, I got it. I'm sick of paying all this money for something that has Free written all over it. I'm gonna see what's on my ps3."

Posted: Sep 28th 2011 12:08PM Misq2k said

NCsoft only does it cause the player base wanted it how come MMO's that go free to play all of a sudden have 4 times thier income?? People want to buy to get ahead thats a fact.

Dont like it then dont do it no point crying about it.

Posted: Sep 28th 2011 12:18PM (Unverified) said

Looks like a last gasp grasp for cash.

Posted: Sep 28th 2011 12:22PM dudes said

Pssst. pay to win 'kthxbbye!

Betawatch: October 18 - 24, 2014