Posted: Sep 27th 2011 9:40AM Fabius Bile said

• Half a heart
actually after FF8 the saga went downhill and everybody knows it, so I wouldnt worry too much if I was them, the series had barely no reputation left to ruin...

Posted: Sep 27th 2011 10:11AM Alboreo said

@Fabius Bile IX is my personal favorite next to VI, so it started going downhill after that for me. ;o

Posted: Sep 27th 2011 12:44PM Raikulxox said

@Fabius Bile Opinion. Just like FF IX is my favorite numbered title.

Posted: Sep 27th 2011 12:44PM Seldra said

@Fabius Bile
It all depends on personal tastes, but for me ff8 was my least favorite of the series followed by the ff10 games. ff7 was the best for me lol.

Posted: Sep 27th 2011 1:32PM Naru now in 3D said

@Fabius Bile

FFIX is the pinnacle of old-school FF games (since it took many of it's cues from pre-playstation final fantasies), and in my opinion, the best FF game they've ever made.

Vivi :D

Posted: Sep 27th 2011 3:36PM JuliusSeizure said

@Fabius Bile

Add another FF IX fan to the crowd. The picturebook atmosphere was both gorgeous and more interesting than anything else in the series. Doesn't hurt that it was also a great game.

Posted: Sep 27th 2011 5:02PM Squidsnthings said

@Fabius Bile That is BS FFIX is amazing. Considering that you like FFVIII shows that you value flash over substance.

Posted: Sep 27th 2011 9:41AM Lafajet said

For me personally FFXIII did more to harm the brand. When I played the beta for XIV I didn't really have anything close to a good time between the horrible download times and the lack of fun I felt when I finally got to play it, but it didn't really negatively impact my view on the series as a whole. XIII on the other hand showed me that SE don't really seem to get what I loved about the series and instead churned out beautifully crafted and horribly soulless cut scenes.

To be honest, if anything FFXIV makes me MORE hopeful for the future of the series as a whole, not less. The fragments of a great FF game seems to be in there somewhere. But then again, I'm still not seeing any reason to actually play yhe game. Ah well.

Posted: Sep 27th 2011 12:15PM socialenemy2007 said

@Lafajet I was just gonna say, 13 was horrible.

Posted: Sep 27th 2011 3:47PM JuliusSeizure said

@Lafajet

I liked XIII, but that's probably because I just let it be what it is instead of forcing expectations on it. No, it was not a great game, but it was an attempt to refresh the genre that perhaps cut out the wrong parts. The combat mechanics are quite gripping if you grok onto how to optimise your performance, and the story is as strong as an FF game has ever had thanks to the linear gameplay always pushing you forward.

I just wish Snow would die horribly.

Posted: Sep 28th 2011 4:07AM (Unverified) said

@Lafajet
Have to agree FFXIII did far more damage then FFXIV. Partially because 14 is an mmo so it's already a spin-off sort of compared to most of the other FFs. The fact that SE is making a ff13-2 baffles me and really shows that they don't want to make games but rather movies. Hopefully ff13 versus doesn't just go the route of ff13 but in a dark setting.

Posted: Sep 27th 2011 9:43AM sortius said

If it wasn't the poorly run beta, it was the worse run launch. Nothing was tested properly because no one could test it.

Posted: Sep 27th 2011 9:44AM Mikx said

Wow! I respect them a lot for this. Companies rarely, rarely admit there can be severe long term ramifications to shovelling crap out the door for a quick buck.

Investors, take note.

Posted: Sep 27th 2011 9:48AM (Unverified) said

this game still doesn't have a sub fee? Its been months, why not just advertise it as a f2p? that would bring in people and atleast populate the world.

Posted: Sep 27th 2011 9:56AM (Unverified) said

@(Unverified)

I'm really looking forward to 1.19 but I think they know it's not quite ready for primetime yet. I appreciate the free time as an early adopter but I don't think it would be smart to invite the general public yet. I would bet there's going to be some kind of 2nd open beta period when they think the game is sufficiently improved. They're making great strides but I don't see that happening until after the new year.

Posted: Sep 27th 2011 9:59AM Eamil said

@(Unverified)

Because you still have to buy a box copy to play.

Posted: Sep 27th 2011 12:03PM rockman0 said

@Eamil So, there's no subscription fee? On the website, it says 8.99 pounds(?). Is that only for the PC version?

Posted: Sep 27th 2011 1:10PM chum said

@rockman0

Can confirm still no sub fee. B2P until SE deems it worthy.

Posted: Sep 27th 2011 9:53AM (Unverified) said

If you consider game slike FF9 FFX all the remakes the FF7 universe games and Dissidia a downhill for the brand well i don't think you even liked any Final Fantasy to start with.For me they will always be the best console games and i have not and will not touch the MMOs.

I am not saying all of them are Aces(ex. FF X-2 and maybe 13) but they are games that get you into their stories a lot.8 was very good imo and so was 9.Even 13 has an amazing battle system.
And if you have truly lost all hope..well check out Versus.I think its gonna be a blast

Posted: Sep 27th 2011 3:52PM JuliusSeizure said

@(Unverified)

Hey, X-2 was awesome! Completely silly and girly (which isn't a surprise because Final Fantasy is more popular with women in Japan), but the gameplay was top-notch and it was outright hilarious throughout much of it.