Posted: Sep 27th 2011 5:35PM Miffy said

• 1 heart
The Artwork of Planetside was horrible, I'm going to be honest because it was the thing that put most people off. You need a good looking game artistically to interest people or they wont want to bother playing your game. I personally saw through that because it was and still probably is the biggest FPS out there. However none of my friends though the graphics looked good and were only interested in Doom 3 or HL2 from the E3 that was around the time Planetside launched.

It only got worse after launch as SOE rushed all the content as usual. It's always the way with their game, they have their best quality on the original game and everything after that just plain sucks and looks so bad and rushed.

I personally now love Planetsides look, however you cannot deny the game isn't pretty and never was. I really want to like the look of Planetside 2, however yet again it just looks so bland and just doesn't interest me or my friends. The only reason we're excited is because it's another Planetside with thousands of people on one server, which is amazing for an FPS. However I cannot get people who are into COD excited for it as it just doesn't look very good graphically.

I'm just hoping that it's all early and will drastically improve.

Saying all that, again I think the game looks great lol.

Posted: Sep 27th 2011 5:55PM eLdritchZ said

@Miffy tbh if they are into CoD they won't like Planetside 2 anyway... Planetside and Planetside 2 (from what we know so far) is going to lack any of the simplicity that people apparently like about CoD... Planetside has a lot of "Why exactly did I just die?" moments that you just don't have in any of today's dumbed down shooters.

So if graphics is all "they" care about then, well... how about BF3 instead, hm?

Oh btw - Aesthetics =/= Graphics Quality

Posted: Sep 27th 2011 8:07PM paterah said

@Miffy Dude Planetside is an oldass game, to say it doesn't look good is not very fair no matter what way you look at it. Planetside 2 imo looks very good and I love the concepts we've seen so far, the graphics are on COD level if not better especially with this new engine of theirs, but to get your friends who play solely modern military FPS in a fururistic setting who is also different on many other levels from COD, I think that's the problem.

Posted: Sep 27th 2011 6:14PM Neiloch said

Who the hell looks at concept art or screenshots and bases their 'play' decision on that? For me graphics/aesthetics needs to meet a relatively low 'minimum requirement' while the rest of what I judge a GAME on is the GAMEplay. If you like aesthetics more than anything might I suggest a purely visual medium and not one where MAYBE half of the product is visuals.

Just kind of both angers me and baffles me that there could be a theoretical game with the most innovative top of the line game play in the market and there are people that would say 'meh i'm not gonna play it, I don't like the art style' That's like dogging on a movie because you didn't like it's DVD's 'extras'

Posted: Sep 27th 2011 8:02PM (Unverified) said

@Neiloch Just because you don't get it doesn't mean it is not a valid argument. When you are playing a game all you are interracting with are pixels on a screen if those pixels look terrible, to some people, it makes a huge amount of difference in the overall enjoyment of the game. You can be angry all you want but some people take visual design/art/style or whatever you may call it very seriously. Some people (myself included) base their livelihood around it.

Posted: Sep 27th 2011 7:18PM Miffy said

I dunno I played BF3 beta and BFBC2 looks better lol

Posted: Sep 27th 2011 8:40PM Darkmoone said

All i needed to read was Miffy's first few words to know he was a total idiot.

You can't have 300 people fighting on one continent and expect superior graphics. It's called sacrifice. You either have a nice looking game 8 vs 8 or do the best you can with graphics while maintaining a good fps and have a 300 person war, period.

T.Ray is the man for pulling off a game that was way ahead of it's time. He's pure genius

Posted: Sep 27th 2011 9:40PM Pingles said

@Darkmoone

In the F2P game Zentia there is an option to give every player onscreen the same player model.

Sure, that doesn't do much for how the game looks but for heavy PvP you better believe that everyone turns that on.

In other words, for PvP games performance always wins over visuals.

This game can look however it wants. If it plays well I'll be playing it.

Posted: Sep 27th 2011 10:09PM Donau said

@Darkmoone

It won't be 300, they have stated they are shooting for over 1000 on a continent/planet (I never really got which it was after the expansion).

Posted: Sep 28th 2011 9:45AM paterah said

@Darkmoone Not only that, the game came out back in 2003, to come out and say the graphics are bad 8 years later while we are on the brink of its sequel is stupid by itself.