Posted: Sep 30th 2011 5:57PM Beau Hindman said

@Nef I'm not sure I get why people use the term "Facebook" game or "Facebook style" so much. Can you clarify what that means?

If it has to do with being in a browser, I find that odd. There are literally thousands of browser-based games, and those have nothing to do with FB either. I mean, Glitch has social abilities and systems, but they are the same as any MMO.

Anyway, not to sound put-off, but I was just curious.

Beau

Posted: Sep 30th 2011 6:08PM Nef said

@Beau Hindman

I'd say the term is used in more of a general sense, sort of like saying a theme-park MMO is very 'WoW-ish'. So the meaning is likely going to vary from person to person and cover a lot of things -- browser based, more 'simplistic' (not in a bad way) gameplay/graphics/approach/etc, and probably more 'casual' oriented with lots of social options.

Also, people are more likely to understand what a Facebook game is like, compared to any standalone browser-based game, I think.

Posted: Sep 30th 2011 6:19PM Beau Hindman said

@Nef I think I am going to write a column about this, being that it is such an issue. There are so many ways to describe a game like Glitch (or even WoW hehe) but what Facebook has to do with it, I am not sure.

The odd thing is that the main games people think of when they think Facebook are games like Farmville, Sims Social, etc. The MMOs I have covered that might allow for Facebook sign-in or connectivity have nothing to do with a "social" game in that classic sense. They are true MMOs, or I wouldn't cover them.

I guess I have an issue with how quickly certain terms become popular or used so commonly. "Facebook" has never been a good word for a true MMO, simply because the true MMOs have used Facebook as a sign-in option or launch pad are simply using FB for that...a launchpad. It just seems odd to me.

Thanks though! I'll have to look into it more and write it up. Interesting thought! :)

Beau

Posted: Oct 2nd 2011 1:35AM Vazzaroth said

I have been playing this all day (Some of that day being at work :D) and it's ultra engrossing.

I'm a little weirded out at the awesomeness of the names I've seen around! The players of this game are... creative! I havn't seen a single xXLeGoLaSXx or anything! Instead I saw an Elenor Rigby, or Mozerella Sticks. And do players name those chickens? Some of them have made me laugh out loud at the reference or joke when you read "You see a chicken named Dr Kevorkian" , and I havn't even seen a single one named "MassiveCock" or w/e.

It's like the internet is a nice place to be !