Posted: Sep 27th 2011 2:10PM Halldorr said

Absolutely LOVE this game. Spent the last few months testing it and it's a lot of fun. It has a fantastic community as well, a bunch of friendly and helpful people. In fact, they make up my largest G+ circle :-P

Posted: Sep 27th 2011 2:32PM terroni said

I tested it for awhile. I could never really figure out the "point" of the game. Sure I could craft lots of crazy things, but for what purpose?

Posted: Sep 27th 2011 3:05PM Softserve said

@terroni I agree with you. I mean, you can say that about many games... But I never really felt like I was doing anything of interest in this one, based on my time with it.

Posted: Sep 27th 2011 3:32PM Halldorr said

@terroni I, personally, liked helping build new zones (aka streets) in the game and of course attending to my home and massive number of pigs :-P

Posted: Sep 27th 2011 8:47PM Pingles said

@terroni

I don't particularly need a point but it would be nice to have a bit more direction than I found. I may try again (my time was VERY early on in testing) but I always felt a bit like I was walking through empty screens wondering what to even do.

Posted: Sep 28th 2011 6:18PM Furyia said

@terroni There is no point. I was also a tester, it's improved a lot but it's still pointless. You can argue all games are pointless but it just feels like there aren't any long term goals, any point in playing the game.

It's a complex MMO in the style of a casual Facebook game.. I don't get it at all. Can't see it lasting. Wasn't there news recently of Zyngas profits falling massively? I don't see this game as much different to any of those games.

Posted: Sep 27th 2011 2:44PM Yarr said

I gave up when I saw almost anything nice for your characters will require being subscribed, in addition to having to pay for it. Neat and weird little game but that was a deal breaker for me.

Posted: Sep 27th 2011 3:15PM JuliusSeizure said

FACT: It is the absolute most hipsterish thing I have ever seen.

(I am neither anti- nor pro-hipster. This is simply an observation.)

Posted: Sep 27th 2011 4:26PM Saker said

@JuliusSeizure It looks cute, but I don't know... Side scrolling... And you say hipsters huh... I tend to despise those creatures....

Posted: Sep 27th 2011 4:42PM Beau Hindman said

@Saker Well, to be fair, he used the word "ironically." :)

Beau

Posted: Sep 27th 2011 4:44PM JuliusSeizure said

@Saker

Well, I have no idea whether the playerbase are predominantly hipsters. The designers certainly are, as Beau described in more detail near the beginning of his post.

Posted: Sep 27th 2011 4:46PM JuliusSeizure said

@Beau Hindman

Oh, no. I'm totally serious. The game is the distilled essence of hipsterdom.

Posted: Sep 27th 2011 3:26PM Bhagpuss said

I started following this game a long time ago. It was one of the betas I was keenest to get into and when I finally got an invite I was so excited. I made my character (loved the character creation) logged in and started to explore (loved the graphics).

Then I hit several instances of toilet humor in the first few minutes of play. That really soured me on the game. It seemed to be completely out of keeping with the look and feel and I found it so off-putting I logged out in a bad mood.

I tried it a couple more times but after that I could never really get comfortable with it. I also found it quite difficult. For the material it seemed a bit twitchy. I got a neck ache trying to catch the butterflies because it made my shoulder tense up.

Shame. I really wanted to like it, but I just don't.

Posted: Sep 27th 2011 5:18PM Gamewench said

It's a neat little game, I don't mind loggin in for a lil bit to mess around =)

Posted: Sep 27th 2011 6:38PM shannon1212 said

This game is awesome! Another amazing non violent game that reminds me of this is karma kingdom. It's pretty rad, I have all my friends playing it right now.

Posted: Sep 27th 2011 7:02PM shipwreck said

Love it!!

Posted: Sep 28th 2011 12:31PM Saker said

Am trying it now, have to admit it's pretty cute so far! (in a good way)

Posted: Sep 28th 2011 9:52PM (Unverified) said

Can't get in to try yet argh, looking forward to mess around in it though.

Posted: Sep 30th 2011 3:36PM PhelimReagh said

It's very addictive when you first start out, but eventually, the "pointlessness" of it really does come into play.

But for F2P lovers, the actual gameplay is all F2P. The only thing you can buy are a some teleports and cosmetic items.

I also found the community and devs to be a little too militantly politically correct. One person criticized the male clothing as being a being a bit too "gay" (which at the time it really was), and the SF/NYC/Canadian hipster crowd chased him and any who defended the lack of "normal" clothing out. The dressing-down crowd included the devs as well, lecturing people on tolerance and thowing the "ignorant" term around fairly liberally.

As much as I hate the immature crowd that calls things "ghey" for no reason, I'm not a fan of that militant hipster PC crowd either. The art style sort of draws 'em in naturally I guess.

Posted: Sep 30th 2011 5:00PM Nef said

I've played it for a few hours or so now. It's hard for me to really place the game's style -- I'm not really up on what's hipster or whatnot -- but it's definitely pretty liberal. (Meditation, anti-capitalist mail carriers, non-violence, etc.)

It's a sandbox-y game so the point is what you make it, though there are quests that pop up regularly to help give some structure. Honestly, overall gameplay-wise, this game is kind of like a non-violent, Facebook version of EVE Online. You spend your time gathering resources, you set destinations on the map and zone hop, train skills in real time, etc.

PAX Prime 2014: Strife learns from the past