Posted: Sep 27th 2011 3:26PM (Unverified) said

Game was pretty solid for about an hour... and then you start noticing how much every thing costs. Rezzing / Identifying / etc. and then more and more things cost more and more (of the store points).

The one smart thing they did from a design point (for making money), was to drop me a max level robe (used by my class) that was legendary... It was a nice trick in order to make me want to keep playing, until I saw that I would need hundreds(?) of thousands of the micro transaction currency in order to even identify it. Those sneaky guys.

Posted: Sep 27th 2011 3:35PM heerobya said

But is it REALLY a MMORPG or is the whole thing heavily instanced and separated into missions/levels?

Posted: Sep 27th 2011 3:38PM drunkingamebar said

1 million registered and 500 active players.

Posted: Sep 27th 2011 3:45PM drunkingamebar said

@drunkingamebar DSO Forums:

What did you like? 29 threads. 124 posts.
What didn't you like? 135 threads. 1036 posts.

Anyone really spending 200 bux on Andermant to get a few basic arpg items?

I almost got to level 30, I just couldn't grind any more grindy-grind. You can't even buy health pots with gold anymore, you have to spend 3 bux on 10 pots, seriously lol's -

Posted: Sep 27th 2011 3:44PM heerobya said

Be very careful with your account information/registration with Bigpoint - they don't use any kind of encryption what-so-ever for their username/account database.

At least they don't for Battlestar Galactica Online.

Posted: Sep 27th 2011 4:20PM Graill440 said

Seriously? 1 million REGISTERED? Means absolutely squat. Pathetic filler.

Posted: Sep 27th 2011 5:27PM Gamewench said

@Graill440 True, I haven't played past the first 30 minutes of game play.

Posted: Sep 27th 2011 6:03PM drunkingamebar said

@Graill440 They are just trying to make it sound good to the idiots who actually buy into this sh*t. I gave it my all, all but my money, imo the game is a cash grab trying to cash in on an ARPG game before D3-TL2-Grim Dawn and PoE comes out. One of the biggest drivers in a game like this is a cool story, nice upgrades, cool skills and great game play... DSO doesn't have any of that, funniest thing about this game is this:

246,700 Andermant Save 35%! $200.00
112,200 Andermant Save 29%! $100.00
51,400 Andermant Save 22%! $50.00
19,100 Andermant Save 16%! $20.00
8,900 Andermant Save 10%! $10.00
4,200 Andermant Save 5%! $5.00
1,600 Andermant $2.00
4,000 Andermant Pay via landline $4.99
5,500 Andermant Pay via cell phone $6.99

This game demands andermant for everything, it's almost 200k andermant to max your 'bag space' and 4.00 to identify a yellow item.

Of course you could farm andermant; however they nerf'd the drop amount - I played this awhile back and could pull about 1k an hour, now it's about 1k every 2hrs.

But hey, it's FREE 2 PLAY!!!

Posted: Sep 27th 2011 4:22PM Cyclone Jack said

The cities are multiplayer hubs, the 'world' levels seem to be somewhat open, while the dungeons are instanced. All in all, it's a decent game (mechanics) with good graphics. The downside is that you quickly tell that it was designed to to be a money sink. If you resist the urge to buy the overpriced, everything, then you can have a bit of fun with the game, even with the various limitations that it has. Depending on how desperate you are, it may be something to tide you over until Diablo 3, Torchlight 2, Grim Dawn or Path of Exile come out.

Posted: Sep 27th 2011 4:31PM Zethe said

Game is bad i paid like 10 oounds on it when i was rather drunk and wish i never did, aint played it since.

Bad grind game with ten skills between BOTH classes.

Posted: Sep 27th 2011 5:37PM Janitor said

Torchlight + Diablo is all that I need =)

Posted: Sep 27th 2011 8:18PM Azaetos said

Marketing BS in overdrive again I see.

So let's see if I have CashPoint's business/marketing model down correctly:
1) 1,000,000,000 people signed up ... and how many play on a regular basis again?
2) Game breaking mechanics to enable cash shop purchases
3) Blatant money grubbing prices for cash shop items

Just another example of why I've come to despise F2P games.

I'm also getting pretty tired of gaming sites pushing this 'F2P/Microtransactions are good' drivel. What's wrong, have publishers/developers threatened not to talk to you if you don't white knight F2P/Microtranactions.

How about reporting on how much it actually costs to play these games. I'm sure people would like to know before they download them, only then to find money grubbing mechanics and end up removing the game from their hard drive.

You know things like what it costs to raid at mid to top level or be effective in PvP. I don't know about others, but these are the things I want to know, not the fact that someone diddled around in the game for an hour where your generally not yet hit with the cash shop wall.

Posted: Sep 28th 2011 10:50AM (Unverified) said

Rift did the same thing a while back, there were news items when they got 1 million registered users on their forums, but I don't think we know the number of players to this day. :D

Posted: Sep 28th 2011 1:36PM NeverDeath said

@(Unverified)

Rift is definitely doing better as far as player retention is concerned than any MMO since WoW, which is largely due to the fact that their game works, is technically proficient, receives constant fixes for known issues and most importantly, receives constant updates in terms of content and class changes.

I'm not playing it right now, but I have tremendous respect for Trion and hope they continue to do well.

Posted: Sep 28th 2011 11:11AM EndDream said

I am reading The Lean Startup by Eric Ries right now and this is what the book would call a "vanity metric".

The Stream Team: Vanguard's final week

Posted on Jul 26th 2014 11:00AM

WRUP: This is why we can't have nice things

Posted on Jul 26th 2014 10:00AM