Posted: Sep 27th 2011 9:19AM Fabius Bile said

they prolly have the first content update/patch half done by now, most companies do just that, it has become standard practice.

Its all about the good PR you get for releasing hefty amounts of content fast after launch, when actually anyone with half a brain should complain about holding up that patch and purposedly releasing a game with less content than it could have just to look better later.

Posted: Sep 27th 2011 11:24AM (Unverified) said

@Fabius Bile

Yeah, I am sure that Bioware is working on a update. Bioware has been pretty quick about DLC in their other games. I am really looking forward to the game after I got a chance to play in the Beta.

Posted: Sep 27th 2011 9:32AM Distaste said

• Half a heart
They are going to need nearly monthly patches to keep people interested if all they have is story and I simply don't see it happening no matter how aggressive they are.

Posted: Sep 27th 2011 5:35PM Distaste said

• 1 heart
@(Unverified)
It doesn't much matter to me but the same people voting me down are the same ones that will be crying about running out of content and when that snowballs into people quitting they will be crying about needing a server transfer.

The fact of the matter is that devs cannot develop content as fast as people consume it, especially in Themeparks and even more so when each class has needs a storyline and VO. Just look at RIFT, as fast as they are adding content they are losing subscribers even faster. The same thing will happen in SWTOR, it will be a fun ride to 50 but it simply doesn't have a system in place to keep people playing. Raiding has lost it's luster and many simply won't chase that carrot anymore.

Posted: Sep 27th 2011 7:31PM Bladerunner83 said

@Distaste

For a single player game 8 to 20 hours is enough to consider the game sufficient for its cost.

EA has stated that SWTOR will be released with 200 hours of game-play per each class, not including PvP and Raid content.

I have been playing New Vegas in the mist of the lack of quality of MMOs these days. After around 2 months, 182 hours in, I have completed nearly the entire game, including the DLCs up to Old World Blues on hardcore mode. I play around 2-5 hours a day, depending on the day; Saturday I play more, while Wednesday is a busy day and I play less.

I think people have expectations and assumptions on games, due to previous experience with less quality games. I truly believe that people will realize SWTOR is bigger than they expected. And even though it may be a theme park; Imagine it as a theme park that is 5 times bigger than your average theme park, like Bush Gardens with 50 roller coasters.

Posted: Sep 27th 2011 9:39AM Khal said

• Half a heart
Well, Lucidus, those two have ran Bioware for a long time now. I would imagine that them being scooped up by EA sounded like a good idea to them as the beginning of an exit strategy from running a game company. Failure or success of this MMO, I imagine both of them have a nice little retirement agreement.

The one you deem loving the CE role is probably more ready to move on and do other stuff in life and the other probably still pines to be making games but knows he doesn't want to do it for the rest of his life and so is conflicted.

Posted: Sep 27th 2011 9:44AM Fabius Bile said

@Khal
that reminds me of someone, but Im not telling who

ok ok, a clue.
it starts with MARK and ends with JACOBS

Posted: Sep 27th 2011 10:02AM bobfish said

@Khal

Well, they love RPGs, so maybe they were enticed by the fact that they'd have control over all EA RPGs past, present and future.

I mean, EA may not be renowned for their RPGs, but they have a lot of good IPs to play with.

Posted: Sep 27th 2011 10:34AM Khal said

@bobfish

*shrug*

Maybe. But if you asked me right now if I saw either of these two guys still at the helm of Bioware EA in 5 years my answer would be a firm "no". As I said one seems as if he's ready to get out of gaming and I just don't think the other one would be "happy" without his pal making games alongside him.

Who knows, though.

Posted: Sep 27th 2011 9:41AM Khal said

@Distaste

They have PvP, crafting and a whole list of other features that you can find with a goggle search if you are truly interested in knowing them.

If you aren't interested and only wanted to be cynically witty by spouting the snark of the day, then nevermind, please carry on. :)

Posted: Sep 27th 2011 12:30PM socialenemy2007 said

• 1 heart
@Khal WoW + Lightsabers and Mass Effect dialog does not = next gen.

Posted: Sep 27th 2011 6:40PM Khal said

@socialenemy2007

I...don't see where I said anything about "next gen".

Posted: Oct 2nd 2011 9:58PM Skiim said

@Khal

wowwww that is some major speculating haha

Posted: Sep 27th 2011 10:10AM (Unverified) said

I need to create an account on the other site to read the interview, really?

Posted: Sep 28th 2011 12:19AM Space Cobra said

@(Unverified)

Yeah, they do the same with some even more famous/popular sites, like the New York Times on many articles (except certain recent ones, that they eventually pull into archives after a month).

I can see both sides why they do that, but meh, I get too lazy leaving my email to their policies that may work or not. I just wanna read, not post and gateways are a bit fishy.

Posted: Sep 27th 2011 10:13AM Deadalon said

• Half a heart
Oh... they are actually gonna support the second class EU countries at some point ?

Or is the plan to let them rot ?

Fantastic to see a company destroy their own PR by not supporting the game to the same countries that have been supported in all others MMos at launch in last 7 years.

So.. Bioware has the worst support any MMO game has right of the bat. Gratz.

Posted: Sep 27th 2011 10:21AM Oskiee said

@Deadalon

El. Oh. El.

How long are you going to complain about this. They will release it in your country in due time. WoW didnt release in Chine until a year after it came out in the States and EU. Relax man.

Posted: Sep 27th 2011 10:43AM Donau said

@Deadalon

What? Have you seen the list? The vast majority of EU nations are getting it on release, the ones missing are mostly Eastern European nations with small populations that speak the localized languages (English, German, and French). And I bet if someone from Moldova really wanted a copy they could just hop on a train or order it in. The only group I don't see listed are SE Asian nations.

It would be insanely expensive and time consuming to localize this game for each country in every language (The audio component, not text).

Posted: Sep 27th 2011 11:32AM Rhodanum said

@Deadalon

I'm thinking the list on the official page isn't really available anymore. For one, I live in Romania and when I tried to pre-order the Digital Deluxe edition on Origin, the system actually let me access the shopping cart and everything, so they've probably removed that limitation. You should check it out as well, since they might have opened up to your own location. Believe me, I understand your annoyance -- by this point I've pretty much resorted to rolling my eyes whenever I hear anything along the lines of 'launching in select EU countries' because it's a given that anything to the east of Germany is getting the short end of the stick.

My other advice would also be to not rush in for early access or even the first month or so. I have a feeling that the queues are going to be insane, hence the incremental launch. If by then it's still not available in your region, go the old 'ask a friend in the US/UK/Western Europe to order and mail it here and wire them the money.' I only checked to see if it's available in my country -- I have no intention of pre-ordering or playing until the rush doesn't die down a bit.

@Donau

Hopping on a train and going to buy from a supported country is pretty much one of the last resorts. However, in regards to your example, I can say from personal experience that few people from Moldova have the resources to hop on to a train to the nearest large Russian city solely for a game (I was born there and the place hasn't changed much from how it was a decade ago).

Posted: Sep 27th 2011 5:52PM Kalec said

@Donau Yeah just hop on a train leaving the country, go buy the game and come back just because you're a couple of hundred miles east of Germany? Yeah that sounds like the trip of a lifetime ... I'm sure any American would just hop on a train to Canada if he ever needs (free) healthcare because that's they way the world works, isn't it ?

Well it shouldn't be that way, and frankly your statement is incredibly offensive.

MMO Week in Review: Are you Elite or Dangerous?

Posted on Dec 21st 2014 8:00PM