Posted: Sep 26th 2011 8:13PM JuliusSeizure said

@Kark

Hi. You must be new here. WoW's not exactly popular in theses parts, but blatantly insulting the players of it with abusive and untrue ad hominems is just begging for downvoting and deletion of your comment.

PS - He's not that right. His statement about the next generation of MMOs is a big bag of passive-aggressive nonsense. Generation is such a subjective term that he might as well be saying 'there won't be any games that change the scene until there is one that changes.' If, hypothetically, GW2 is that game changer and SW:TOR is the only game in between, then you bet he'll try to claim SW:TOR was a generation unto itself. Somehow.

Posted: Sep 26th 2011 8:15PM JuliusSeizure said

@JuliusSeizure

Oh, look. Deleted while I was typing up my reply. Awesome! :D

Posted: Sep 26th 2011 7:44PM myhumps said

I'm still waiting on that next gen FPS. When are they gonna change?

Posted: Sep 26th 2011 10:02PM (Unverified) said

@myhumps Maybe Planetside 2. At least I hope so.

Posted: Sep 26th 2011 11:52PM Distaste said

@myhumps
Bad company and and a greater extent bad company 2 are next gen. Destructible terrain/buildings is a huge step forward in the FPS genre and there is a reason that all the new FPS engines are putting in destructible terrain. Nothing changes gameplay more than being left out in the open when your cover gets destroyed.

Posted: Sep 27th 2011 9:02AM Birk said

@Distaste

Red Faction actually did that back in 2001!

-Birk

Posted: Sep 27th 2011 9:35AM fallwind said

@Birk
I think you mean Tribes did it in '98 :P

Posted: Sep 26th 2011 7:44PM Khal said

I wonder if Mr. Morrison can direct me to some MMOs that are refining the experience of Ultima Online or Asheron's Call. Emphasis on "refining the experience" so don't point to Starvault or Adventurine.

All I'm seeing (with the exception of 2 or 3 lately) are attempts to chase the WoW model or by some's view the EQ themepark model (though walking away from some of the more complex things in EQ and using only the simplistic mechanics).

Posted: Sep 26th 2011 7:57PM JuliusSeizure said

@Khal

'Refining' is too vague a term in this context to the point of being meaningless. WoW itself could be considered a very refined experience, having distilled the key elements of earlier MMOs while discarding many of the messier, coarser details.

Posted: Sep 26th 2011 8:10PM Alluvian EstEndrati said

@Khal There are a few that are giving it a shot. Dawntide comes to mind.

Posted: Sep 26th 2011 11:06PM Mighty Lawn Gnome said

@JuliusSeizure

Completely off topic alert!

So I couldn't help but notice that you seem to have a working avatar on Massively. A feat few people seem to be able to accomplish.

I've tried a dozen uploads, and googled for more than an hour to no avail. Any suggestions?

Posted: Sep 27th 2011 2:06AM hereafter said

@Mighty Lawn Gnome
I've been trying to figure that out too. I've tried everything. I resized to 64x64, same as the default image, I tried bmp, png, fiddled with the settings, still nothing.

Posted: Sep 27th 2011 4:25AM mysecretid said

@hereafter

Are you using Firefox as your browser. One of the Massively folk suggested that this makes the icon process work at a higher rate (for reasons yet unknown).

I use Firefox, and I've had a custom icon here since my first day.

Hope this helps.

Posted: Sep 27th 2011 5:24AM hereafter said

@mysecretid

funny story, I just tried that on a whim and it worked! Thanks for confirming it though, I asked once way back when, but the person was probably had no clue and chose not to answer.

So yeah, note to anyone that reads this, Chrome might not allow the image to upload

Posted: Sep 27th 2011 7:24AM Space Cobra said

@Mighty Lawn Gnome

Off-topic image avatar help:

When you log in, look for the green bar running across your screen near the top; it should be under an ad banner and sat "Welcome back, Mighty Lawn Gnome" and the rest. Click on your name after "Welcome Back".

You are then shown your stat screen (Public Profile) where you can change your password and Edit your picture. You can browse/upload the pic of your choice from your computer (and I think the internet, too).

Posted: Sep 26th 2011 8:04PM Thorqemada said

I think refine is euphemistic for streamlining to death^^
Sadly he is often very on the spot in his blog, but almost nothing of it ever will show up anytime soon in what mmo soever.
Companys should realize that there is a big bored crowd of veteran players that really, really, really want do a step forward gameplaywise with a next generation mmo and still the deepest mmo experiences regarding to diversity of mechanics, virtual world apporach etc comes fomr the very old mmos and not the fresh ones.

PS: For the crafting, i have many experiences, many ideas but nothing will help AoC as the players left have gotten used to the situation and changing it radically now will end up like the NGE for SWG.
You may drive away what is left without getting follow up players.
If AoC is used as testbed, well, look back at the Classic Pre-CU SWG and how craftng worked there.
Also Horizons and Vanguard had some interesting aspects in their crafting...
Now improve that - translate it into a fantasy conan like setting and become aware yu have already lost the players that would have been catched with a good economy+crafting.
Make it better for TSW!

Posted: Sep 26th 2011 8:09PM (Unverified) said

Acutally I disagree that theres no game doing this within the upcoming generation look at all Guild wars 2 is changing, no more waiting endlessly for tanks and healers, no one running up and stealing mobs or nodes, no more endless quest text few read anyway, the sense of community needed for dynamic events seems amazing. Personally I cant wait for the changes that I hope will set standards for other games. Oh nearly forgot moving while casting that one might be hard for me at first :P

Posted: Sep 26th 2011 9:37PM drunkingamebar said

@(Unverified) I love the fact that GW2 does away with a great deal of the animosity that other mmo's suffer with. Ninja's will have nothing to steal, no more late-late nights farming while everyone is asleep just so you can get ore, herbs ect.. No more boosting - ahh the list just goes on!

I think ToR is going to run into a lot of problems later down the road when people eventually bored of playing solo, and try out the whole grouping / raiding side of the game. Like WoW, by the time new players get to level 85 they don't even know half of the skills they have or even what they do. (IMO grouping helps a ton) but it's not needed until end game, when it's just to late to keep up. This is a big problem in WoW, people complain about getting kick from groups, called names and every thing else. Vanilla players, played in groups, expansions did away with the need to, and ToR has done away with the need to group as well..

I think it's going to get messy.

Posted: Sep 27th 2011 2:17AM hereafter said

@drunkingamebar

There are still significant benefits to grouping in TOR if you want to do group quests. If anything, it seems like it's going to be more important than in WoW, where most of the once-elite zones have been nerfed to complete soloability. And let's be honest, the kind of easy grouping that RIFT has done and GW2 is improving doesn't actually improve socializing. Back when grouping in WoW actually mattered, there was a lot more socializing. Loot troubles are not what killed WoW grouping, nerfing the content did that. As fun as GW2 is shaping up to be, I can almost guarantee that you won't see much chat after the first few weeks, maybe months. RIFT has easy drop-in/drop-out grouping, and almost no chat. GW2 is making it so you don't even need to "group" in the traditional sense, so even less reason to actually communicate. I just hope for GW2's sake that the community is naturally talkative.

Posted: Sep 27th 2011 1:19PM drunkingamebar said

@hereafter I didn't say loot troubles killed WoW, I said the lack of grouping do to 99.1% ability to solo content and then the forced to group end game is what hurts the game. Again with ToR it's like a single player game with a multi-player option, it does the very same thing that WoW does wrong. GW2 does it differently, just because you are not forced to 'party-up' you still work in groups. In WoW and ToR(I think) it's "First come, first tag" mentality that sparks animosity between the players, yet it does ignite the chat, but not in a good way. Also in GW2 you will run into a lot of the same people doing events, Works the same way as it did in WoW, meeting people doing dungeons pre-LFD. Usually helping someone or being helped begins a new friendship - Let's hope it's not a 'Lets talk just to talk' Barrens Chat 2.0.

My opinion grouping is great, forcing players to be in a party to participate sucks.

Global Chat: Through a monitor, darkly