Posted: Sep 26th 2011 3:19PM DevilSei said

Lalalalalala-can't hear you! Lalalala! Release date is as far away as I want it to be!

Honestly though, I will agree that some titles feel like too much of a grind to do. God knows I'm nowhere close to Zaishen Support, Survivor, any set of weapons or armor, unlocking chests, breaking lockpicks... yeah... Best way I'm planning on handling it is grabbing the lowest tier I need for everything. No need to max something out if it won't offer any boosts.
Only thing I really wish was that some of the other PvP titles were... easier to get for casual players, at least up until it can be displayed. Or at the very least turn the Kurzick/Luxon title into a PvP title. I mean heck, the Zaishen keys don't need pvp to be earned, so why not?

Posted: Sep 26th 2011 3:20PM CZL said

This is sort of my story. Reading your guide to the Hall of Monuments piqued my interest in the game (which I naively assumed would consist mainly of guild versus guild PVP). Playing with the excellent MVOP community has convinced me to make it my only online game just so that I can become a good player and contribute now and in GW2. So, thanks!

Posted: Sep 26th 2011 3:28PM OrangeGamer said

@CZL Would you mind linking the HoM guide posted?:D

I'm quite lost with that aspect.

THOUGH, I've been taking my time and reading the quest text, and finishing all of an area... and I have to say I am loving the story and taking it slow. I breezed through WoW a lot, but I've noticed with MMOs recently I just stop to read about the lore.:D

Posted: Sep 26th 2011 3:45PM DevilSei said

@OrangeGamer

I'll agree on the MVOP guild, as well as the GWO alliance. Bunch of awesome people. I hopped back into GW after a long stint of being distracted by other games, and having a guild and whole channel worth of chat really helps when you are spending a majority of your time in instanced areas.
Even if my hatred towards NPCs might cost us some support down the line... *whistles innocently*.

Posted: Sep 26th 2011 4:11PM OrangeGamer said

@DevilSei Thanks for posting this! :D Looks like I have a ton to do.

Posted: Sep 26th 2011 3:22PM Gamewench said

I always take my times in mmorpgs except for WoW and Rift Beta I level all my characters rather slowly and pay attention to the story.
IMO if you purchase the game it's fully your right to play it the way you see fit.
Answering your question, I say yes there is still time. After all, GW will still be around when GW2 hits the rush or lack there of is on the player =)

Posted: Sep 26th 2011 3:22PM OrangeGamer said

I'm definitely one of those people who tried GW, couldn't get into it, but came back. I have to say, I LOVE the music, so engaging- and then I find out that of course... it's by Jeremy Soule! Amazing stuff.

Also, the graphics. It looks better than some of the MMOs that have come out recently, and really stand the test of time.

That being said, I'm only level 8. Quite a ways to go. Started in Nightfall, since Dervish seems to be the class that works for my play style.:D Though I die more often than I'd like still, haha.

Posted: Sep 26th 2011 3:23PM Genkides said

Interesting thoughts Rubi. I know for myself, I did not get GW for HOM at all. I did not even know about them till later. I started alittle over a year ago when I saw a video from some guy(do not even remember, but he was comparing GW2 to FFXIV at the time) That got me looking into GW because this GW2 looked soo good. So I picked up the box set for while I was on tour. I was so surprised how good it looks and it took me a bit to get a hang of it, but throughly enjoyed the experience. As I played more and more , it kept surprising me with how much content it had.
As with any game with rewards or something tied to it, you will have those that just want items without realy putting time in, to enjoy what it all means. That is just who they are we can not change them. I am not griding out the points.... once I figured what was resonable for me for HOM that also started to make sense. (with help from your guide) I am 20 now and I have desire to rush or hurry to get more. Some will come in time as I play the game and that is fine. I'm not a HOM point w****e.

One thing you and many others have is that time investment in being famiiar with all the characters and area. You have vested, emotional interest in the game and that comes from playing for a while. I on the one hand, am new time wise. One year just recently and feel I am behind so many people. But I am one that will go back and look at areas and try to learn more about the game so when we play GW2 I will have a better understanding. How cool is it.. to play a game like GW2 and say..OHHH I remember this area...or this temple...or these characters!! Makes it such a more entertaining experience!! Its like going back to see freinds and family after a long hiatus.

All in all, after my off the top of my head ramblig, is that like minds attract like minds. You find you stay around those that share your same ideas and views. Those that have a richer understanding of the world, those that enjoy the journy will just feel sorry for those that just WANT things in game to show off... with no real deeper understanding of the what it all means. That is ok.. its just a different crowd of people.

Posted: Sep 26th 2011 3:23PM Danteeeee said

Nice read :) I've actually been playing GW before it had any expansions.. but I'm still an awful player, I don't have any clue about good builds and I can just about hold my own as a few classes :) 8 points in my Hall, because I'm just that good. Most of the requirements are out of reach for me.

However, all of me being a failure of a player has been great fun.

Posted: Sep 26th 2011 3:28PM OrangeGamer said

@Danteeeee Hey, 8 points is pro! I have 0 points.:D

Posted: Sep 26th 2011 3:24PM OrangeGamer said

@(Unverified) Angry much? If you don't like a game, skip the articles. *facepalm*

Posted: Sep 26th 2011 3:32PM (Unverified) said

I actually came to GW specifically to get to know the lore of Tyria, to get to know NPCs, the cities, the landscapes, etc, before GW2 is released. It looks astonishingly good so I know I'll be playing it, and since I knew there would be plenty of juicy lore I wanted to get into it. When I read things like the One Shots piece on Ventari and Ronan by the Pale Tree in GW, I wanted to feel that sense of history when I rolled a Sylvari.

I read Edge of Destiny (terrible) and Ghosts of Ascalon (surprisingly good!) in the hope of feeling more of a connection with the world of GW2, but I knew that I'd really have to just buy the original GW and play around. I haven't been disappointed - there's some lovely stuff in it and it's definitely made me more excited about GW2.

That said, now that I've been pottering around Tyria for a few weeks and getting a feel for the place, maybe I should get started on those Hall of Monuments things...

Posted: Sep 26th 2011 3:33PM grimreaper00 said

It's never too late to discover Tyria, wonderful, wonderful Tyria.
Those who explore Tyria and it's lore will be rewarded with more than non-trade-able items...

I have to admit though, that fiery sword at 10 points looks cool. (For HoM)

Posted: Sep 26th 2011 3:34PM (Unverified) said

Bleh, I was hoping to at least finish one or two campaigns before summer's end but never got around to it, probably wont have any time to get more HoM stuff (only on 5 or 6 points right now) between now and GW2.

Posted: Sep 26th 2011 3:36PM Neri said

I picked up Guild Wars on a bit of a whim just over 4 years ago, played it for a couple of days and got bored. I never really thought about it again until I saw the Races of Tyria video for GW2, and the Hall of Monuments was announced. Since then I've played GW fairly solidly, working on finishing campaigns and earning points. How many have I managed in all that time? 15. I keep the 'Road to 50' series that you did bookmarked, but the fact is that there's so much to do that I find it nearly impossible to focus and get things done efficiantly.

However:

I read all my quest dialogue and storybooks, I look up points of interest on the wiki, often spending hours just finding details about the world that I would miss otherwise. And I read your articles every week Rubi, and all the comments that go with them.

My points total may not be impressive, and I'm under no illusions that I'll get anywhere near 50 points, but I've enjoyed the ride through the campaigns, and the feeling of the lore clicking in to place with what we know so far about GW2. I'm really just glad I was motivated to give GW another shot- I've really enjoyed the game, and the shiny titles and gear are just nice extras.

Posted: Sep 26th 2011 3:36PM jakofascalon said

Short answer. You still have time to enjoy the game while simultaneously getting quite a few HoM points. Some things are simply not obtainable at this point, but it boils down to how much time you can spare or are willing to spare to accomplish this feat.

Posted: Sep 26th 2011 3:36PM Caerus said

My experience with GW and seeing this article posted... _now_... is surreal.

I was in the beta for GW and couldn't have been more excited, preordered Prophecies (before they called it Prophecies) and everything, because it was supposed to be about skill and *NOT* time invested. The devs went out of their way to tell us how it wasn't going to be a grind-y game, and I was ecstatic. That feeling, that the devs knew what was and wasn't a grind, ended halfway through Factions when they introduced the atrocious Luxon/Kurzic faction grinds. The (overpowered) skills tied to those title tracks that directly reward grind has been the cornerstone of new content since then. Why would the majority of the community enjoy the world when there's grinding to do?

GW will always have a special spot in my memory even though I quit long ago, but this article could have been posted right after Factions was released and it would've been just as correct: the game is focused *entirely* on grinds and has been for a long time. I am truly astonished that someone who plays the game as much as you do hasn't noticed the playerbase is focused on that - and that alone - until now.

Seriously, on *launch day* in EotN and NF people were forming groups to grind out the title reps. I don't see how you can honestly say that the community JUST NOW became focused on grinding out titles when that's been basically all there is for so long.

This made me remember how much I miss Prophecies and now I'm sad :(

Posted: Sep 26th 2011 3:50PM (Unverified) said

@Caerus
I agree with you regarding grinding. It's one of the things I hate about GW and I'm honestly scared that it will rear its ugly head in GW2 at some point also.

Posted: Sep 26th 2011 3:40PM Pyzlnar said

Hmmm... Kinda.
I got GW almost 2 years ago without knowing a thing about GW2. I loved it got through the campaigns (and learned about GW2 some months after getting GW)
I did got to enjoy the game.
I only have 18 Hom points and I left GW a while ago because I didnt want to grind to get the rest. Also my friends don't play alot anymore so...

Posted: Sep 26th 2011 3:42PM Nychus said

The story is what dragged me forward for most of GW back before HoM, HoM just provided incentive to get past those penultimate missions which were the bane of my playing existence, (Its amazing how much differance adding 3 heroes to my 'sin was for doing that.)