Posted: Sep 24th 2011 2:57PM (Unverified) said

I gave this game a chance and played so far for 2 weeks. Visually, it's a very nice game, although the areas surrounding Gridania (Black Shroud I believe it's called) is one copy-pasted area after another. There is no way to tell where on the map you are by visual identification alone. The zone around Uldah is much nicer, or seems to have more variety. The crafting seems pretty good also. The menus/UI, while not a gamebreaker can definately use some improvements.

On to the bad. The combat. Good God the combat! Bascially you click on a skill, wait a couple of seconds, the targeted mob reacts to your skill, and then and only then the animation shows. Compared to many other games, it's very very slow feeling. This one aspect alone is a dealbreaker for me. The other thing I don't get - the market ward system. I can't imagine you all having no search feature at launch LOL. But even with it in place, it's still way more cumbersome than an AH style system, and really has no advantages over that system. What were they thinking?

To end on a positive note. I found a nice linkshell right away and they are very active and helpful. There are also a lot of people playing at all hours. The community is a plus. I might check back after 1.2 whenever they implement the new jobs system or "fix" the combat.

Posted: Sep 24th 2011 3:32PM hexaemeron said

• 1 heart
Eliot,

I have to say I really try to approach your op-ed pieces with an open mind, but your constant bending over backwards to kiss SE's ass is really tiresome.

It's a bad game. It was not ready for release. It's not ready for release -today- and it won't be for quite some time.

Your baffling enjoyment/defense/bliss/whatevereuphamismyouchoosetouse of this game just comes across as ham-fisted, and obvious. Really, there's no shame in admitting you are wrong.

Posted: Sep 24th 2011 3:48PM (Unverified) said

@hexaemeron

Not to discuss the merits of the game or anything, but, there is a significant number of people who are playing the game. Clearly there are many people who like the game and calling Eliot an "ass-kisser" just because he sees something you don't is lame.

Posted: Sep 24th 2011 3:49PM Ehra said

@hexaemeron

"Really, there's no shame in admitting you are wrong. "

Wrong in what? Liking a game you don't like? Yeah, how dare he.

Posted: Sep 24th 2011 4:09PM Syesta said

@hexaemeron

Seriously dude. Opinions.

Posted: Sep 24th 2011 10:47PM Bramen said

@Syesta
lol nice pic

Posted: Sep 24th 2011 4:45PM shojikareza said

Hmm if only i have time for games :< i love this game now and more better, there are some changes that i didnt like, but overall is not a real deal breaker to me, Market Wards are alright for me, is not that cubersome at all, only when on launch it was terrible as hell, now the system is ok.

Might need to make more better system for this or maybe more wards to put in more retainers or some sort, overall the market system is ok, economy wise is ok, the only difference is that AH is much more of a faster efficient way. But is not that i hate MW and vote for AH, is more like an immersence to me that a market wards is much more livelier than a AH. well in my own opinion anyway. And yes before ppl hit me with saying AH is far off better, i already stated it is better than MW, just that i like MW more than AH, in terms of more livelier maybe.. :P

anywho, hopping to finish my project soonish so i can start playing back FFXIV!

Cheers eliot! Nice article btw.

Posted: Sep 24th 2011 4:56PM Laren said

I enjoy reading these articles, because it is a neat insight into the human mind. How can one person love something so much, when so many more are thoroughly disgusted with it?

What makes that one person tick? Are they in denial? Do they really like the game, or are they so stuck in a position that they just can't back out of? Do they enjoy the gameplay, or do they just take immense pride in doing something that no one else is? Is this person being compelled to enjoy the game somehow?

I keep going back to the fact that our Author gets paid for his contributions. So he _has_ to like the game for his job. I absolutely believe that he does like the game.... no one can fake it this well. But is his subconscious telling him: "I'm sort of stuck doing this, so I might as well enjoy it"?

ah well, whatever gets readers I guess. =)

Posted: Sep 24th 2011 6:40PM Raikulxox said

@Laren Reasons to like the game:
It has storylines. Not quest dialog leading you from place to place.
It has a nice atmosphere (hard to describe, but that's the only way I can sum it up).
Crafting actually matters, since besides just making things players have to repair others gear.
The Armory system.
And finally, the music and graphics.

Posted: Sep 24th 2011 6:52PM (Unverified) said

@Laren

The real "insight into the human mind" was revealed by your own post. You theorize on what motivates this "one" person to like a game that so many don't, and yet you seem oblivious to your own bias against it. Neat, yes, I agree.

Posted: Sep 24th 2011 7:23PM Laren said

@(Unverified)

I'd like to respond to you, but honestly not sure even you know what you meant to write. :P You think it is 'interesting' that I have bias? hmm. k.

Elliot has loved this game from day one, but it got a 3.8/10 on meta critic. We don't see the whole story here...

At lunch, with my closest friends, I'll laugh at things that happen around work. But when I'm in the office, I'd defend our product as if it was my first born. I do wonder if this is the predicament Elliot finds himself in. Forced to enjoy something he doesn't, and now just accepts that he does enjoy it.

Posted: Sep 24th 2011 7:38PM (Unverified) said

@Laren

I'm pretty sure the writers aren't shackled to play these games. Some have stopped playing games in the past and thus they've stopped writing the articles that go with those games. And for Eliot's case, he writes other articles on the site as well so he's not really restricted.

I think it's believable that Eliot likes Final Fantasy XIV. He does a bunch of roleplaying, which tends to be user-created content so the possibilities are endless. That can be a very social hobby so it'd be easy to keep him coming back.

Posted: Sep 24th 2011 7:55PM (Unverified) said

@Laren

So what if it gets a 3.8/10 on metacritic? Does that score mean no one likes the game? You imply that there must be something else going on ("we don't see the whole story here") and you find it hard to accept the article or writer as genuine. I find that interesting because, to use a loose analogy, you are "blaming the victim." Why, Eliot must have some hidden agenda otherwise he would be agreeing with the majority, who as we know is always right:P

Posted: Sep 24th 2011 5:37PM pcgneurotic said

Games are like people. You like that guy over there, you think he's cute, you don't mind that he whistles between his teeth all the time. But three other people right there can't stand him. And someone else doesn't give a ship either way. Do you hate the one person who does like him? No. At most, you might think he's a little weird.

Games are like cheese sandwiches. You like that cheese sandwich over there, you think it's tasty, you don't mind if there's a little pickle slice in there because the cheese is so good. But three other people right there can't stand cheese sandwiches...

STOP THE HATE!

Posted: Sep 24th 2011 6:37PM Gamewench said

@pcgneurotic Well said =)

Posted: Sep 24th 2011 6:08PM Ryukan said

Why they just don't go f2p already and get it over with is beyond me. They might actually be able to bring in some revenue from the game if they did. I can't see this game making a comeback as a sub game, it would be hard pressed to make a comeback as f2p. They already have the points system setup for f2p with the stupid Crysta system used to buy a subscription.

Posted: Sep 24th 2011 6:57PM (Unverified) said

@Ryukan

You mean as opposed to the sub they are currently charging? Oh wait....

Posted: Sep 26th 2011 2:05PM Beltyra said

@(Unverified)
You're not thinking Fourth Dimensionally!

Posted: Sep 24th 2011 6:38PM (Unverified) said

Are people really so jaded that they can't even accept that someone might like a game that they don't without wondering if the other person is somehow substandard or dishonest? There are some horrible games out there (IMO) that I would never play but other people love them. As long as I don't have to play them, I'm happy for the folks that do. What do I care? Seriously, I don't get it.

Posted: Sep 24th 2011 7:18PM shojikareza said

@(Unverified)

^this, in all serious note, check out some game you hate and see if there is still a person playing that game, and ask your self, seriously.

I hate wow, but ppl still play, so each to their own really.

MMO Week in Review: It is your Destiny