Posted: Sep 24th 2011 1:19PM Utakata said

I sometimes wonder if I spend more time on CoH to start a fashion line than actual gameplay. I don't have a toon past lv 36. And when I get one going, I stop to work on another concept....I'm just glad that I have plenty of character slots I've accumalated over the years to do this with impunity...

...so yeah, how I look is important. I guess it's part of the story I developed for every character I've rolled playing MMO's.

Posted: Sep 24th 2011 2:39PM Baby Choo Choo said

Extremely important. I will spend hours in the character creator if need be. If I'm going to be staring at this digital character for hundreds, and possibly thousands, of hours then I want everything to be perfect.

Posted: Sep 24th 2011 2:55PM StClair said

Extremely important. I'm the sort who loves to make costumes in CoH (and fret over them not being Just Right) and collect matching or at least complementary sets of armor in WoW.

Posted: Sep 24th 2011 5:02PM (Unverified) said

love the cosmetics on EVERY game that offers it. After being introduced to mmo's via World of Warcraft for five years looking like everyone else it's sadly missing from some games that need it. I have to look different because i am an individual. I've even spent money on Lotro to get outfits that are unusual for my toons. It's a need to be different that drives the shop economy.

Posted: Sep 24th 2011 8:30PM Necromas said

For a long time in Guild Wars, until they changed the armor mechanics, I wore suboptimal armor on my necromancer because the armor that gave you more energy was basically nothing but a set of brown briefs and tattoo-like scars that cover your whole body.

Posted: Sep 24th 2011 9:06PM Poordevil said

Avatar appearance is one of the most important parts of an MMO. If I get sick of how my character looks, and can't change it up so I am pleased with it, it won't be long before I loose interest in the game. It is hard to relate to a funky looking character, or maintain interest in him.

Posted: Sep 24th 2011 9:26PM Yukon Sam said

I sense an emerging consensus.

I also have been known to set aside otherwise good games because I couldn't customize my character to my satisfaction.

Posted: Sep 25th 2011 8:31AM mysecretid said

My look is definitely important to /me/.

Unlike some, I don't dress to impress other players -- it's simply that, if I'm going to spend most of my game-time looking at my avatar, then I'd better like what I see.

Posted: Oct 1st 2011 10:25AM Poordevil said

How would you like it if in RL you had to go out in the same set of clothes every day? Same pants, same Jacket, same shirt, same dress, same skirt , same shoes? Every day, with little opportunity to make any variation in your appearance?

Well, actually in RL I probably do that more than most people :) But in my MMO I don't like it at all. So get a clue devs and make appearance tabs a basic feature of every MMO there is. You won't regret it!

Posted: Oct 2nd 2011 2:54AM Lumin said

INSANELY important.

A distinction that must be made however, is the difference between "perfection" and "cohesion." In games with facial/body sliders, I go with instinct on the sliders. I don't agonize over minute differences, such as whether the nose tilt should be 35 versus 37 degrees.

Choosing the right combination of face/hair/colour scheme is the important part for me. I want my characters to be both "pretty" as well as distinctive. I'm not a fan of shock value, nor stereotypes. I want my characters to turn heads not because of how different/contrary it is, but because of how well put-together and eye-pleasing (I don't mean this in the 'maximum breast slider' context) the choices of face/hair/armor skins are.