Posted: Sep 23rd 2011 1:13PM Nandini said

To me, this expansion feels sloppily cobbled together. The fact that behind the scenes, it's "Update 4" makes me feel like it was just used by the marketing folks as another opportunity for a cash grab by Turbine. Don't get me wrong: Turbine deserves to make money on this. They just need to do it in a way that doesn't depend on confusing their customers or inflating their expectations.

With any luck, this will be LOTRO's final "expansion" and future additions will come as regular updates, with content purchasable using the existing LOTRO Store models.

I know the marketing folks live for the word "expansion", but they really need to wean themselves from this crutch.

Posted: Sep 23rd 2011 1:29PM alphaman00 said

@Nandini *Update 5 actually. The only reason I say this is because Update 4 (or was it 3?) Echoes of the Dead was pretty good for one of the 'new model' regular updates. If they actually do change to releases that way, I agree, it would probably work a lot better. Perhaps not the big annual excitement of an expansion, but it would lead to consistency and a known measure of quality/what to expect.

Posted: Sep 23rd 2011 1:39PM Kyzgar said

@Nandini

So far "expansion" has always accompanied a level cap increase. Everything else is an "udpate". As long as they're consistent with that, I don't have a problem.

I am a bit disappointed by their TP store prices for the expansion, and really disappointed at how they're forcing VIPs to purchase the "Update 5" instances if they don't pre-order Isengard. VIPs are supposed to get access to update content for free, but I think they conveniently forgot that.

Then again, VIPs get 500 TPs a month (6,000 / year), not including those earned in-game, which can definitely cover the cost of Update 5.

In any case, I'm just glad we're finally moving forward again. Our characters don't really "grow" with just "updates". We get to see new things and find some decent stuff on occassion, but it's the gaining of levels that give us new/improved skills and access to better equipment that allow us to take on more difficult opponents and harder challenges, and those levels only come with "expansions".

Keep 'em coming.

Posted: Sep 23rd 2011 1:54PM Nandini said

@alphaman00

"Echoes of the Dead" was Update 2.
"Lost Legends of Eriador" was Update 3.
[Rise of Isengard comes in between here.]
The new fellowship and small fellowship instances this winter will be Update 5.

The level cap increase is about the only thing that qualifies this release as an expansion, in my opinion.

We all still have stuck in our heads from Mines of Moria (with Legendary Items and two new classes) and to a lesser extent, Siege of Mirkwood (with Skirmishes and Shared Storage), that an expansion will include new or significantly overhauled game systems. There seems to be much less of that this time around.

I suppose the case could be made that stats have been significantly overhauled, but from testing, it won't really change how people play the game.

Posted: Sep 23rd 2011 1:58PM (Unverified) said

@Nandini

Some of the class changes could alter things though and I see this as the biggest thing about isengard beyond the new content. Lower levels will be easier for Burglar with the dual wield and med armor available at level 1.

So many class changes will make things interesting for those not constantly raiding and those that solo.

Posted: Sep 23rd 2011 2:06PM alphaman00 said

@Nandini Right, I got that twisted around a bit. Thanks for the reminder!

Posted: Sep 23rd 2011 5:58PM JaySpeed said

@Nandini

The stat changes are the best part of the expansion IMO. It will definately change how I gear my toons and what I focus on. The pursuit of max morale is a thing of the past.

Posted: Sep 23rd 2011 1:52PM dudes said

They've taken the Hobbits to Isengard!

Posted: Sep 23rd 2011 1:56PM smartstep said

Store Isengard Update! See what's coming !

From what I read on forums , many of those items are store-exclusives , some are clear advantage :/

So enjoy... :(

Posted: Sep 23rd 2011 3:06PM OutThere said

• 1 heart
@smartstep

Turbine is DDO'ifying LOTRO. They are attempting to shoehorn the types of things they sell in DDO and make them work in LOTRO.

Despite all their pre-launch promises, the Store has significantly altered the game. You can see now that Finesse had nothing to do with the game mechanic, they just couldn't think of a way to sell scrolls for B/P/E. So they did away with it and invented Finesse, which they could sell in the store.

I feel sorry for the devs. I imagine this is not the way they would design the game if they had a choice.

LOTRO used to be a great title. Now it is just becoming a hawker stand for Turbine. I didn't think anything would make me quit the game, but I was wrong.

Posted: Sep 23rd 2011 5:18PM Ehra said

@OutThere

"You can see now that Finesse had nothing to do with the game mechanic, they just couldn't think of a way to sell scrolls for B/P/E. So they did away with it and invented Finesse, which they could sell in the store. "

LOL. I take it you haven't actually gone through the effort of comparing the Finesse rating granted by that scroll to the Finesse rating you'll find on an average piece of gear? It's about equal to what you'd find in an average item; meaning it gives about as much advantage as that stat tomes currently do (aka; not much). It's an extra boost for people that want to use an item that doesn't have finesse, don't have much currently, or just want that min/maxed 0.5% extra effectiveness.

Every expansion has had people crying up a storm because they think they're being ripped off (I remember the outrage over Lifetime members actually having to pay for Moria), I have no idea how the people at Turbine manage to not lose their minds reading some of the complaints from their oblivious players.

Posted: Sep 23rd 2011 6:02PM JaySpeed said

@OutThere

I have no intention of buying finesse scrolls or other items of "advantage" from the store. The only thing I will buy is convenience items like the reputation increase buff (rest xp for rep), relic removal scrolls, and maybe some new cosmetics. Items from the store are OPTIONAL. You do not need them to play the game and you can play just fine without them.

Posted: Sep 23rd 2011 7:24PM Ehra said

@JaySpeed

Don't you know? if any kind of power boost, no matter how small, exists in the store then that means the very moral fiber of the game is going to be destroyed by Turbine designing content that REQUIRES those store-bought items. There are already people complaining about how the current endgame is "too hard" and "forces" people to buy stat tomes in the shop, and you know they're going to be blaming Finesse scrolls on their Draigoch wipes.

There's just something special about people that are already bad at these games complaining about the existence of power boosts that are most beneficial to players just like them; ones that can't complete the content anyway and could use some help.

I've got a founder's lifetime account with a good 10,000 TP saved up in founders bonuses + monthly grants + ingame earnings. I haven't bought a single thing in the store except for mount training for low level alts and one cosmetic, and I'm here to confirm that all of these power boosts are completely optional. If someone claims that they can't complete content in this game without store-bought potions or stat tomes or whatever other power-boost people want to complain about then they truly are bad at this game.

Posted: Sep 23rd 2011 10:36PM Ehra said

@jastani

As far as I'm aware, the support/buffing role/traits were given to the class by default instead of being restricted to a single spec. Making LoM a full time tanking tree made sense since it's been trying to pull double tanking/support duty as long as I can remember and the support bonuses were made baseline.

Posted: Sep 24th 2011 12:45AM Ryukan said

I don't think this expansion is going to be ojn the level of MoM, but I still resubbed and got back to raiding with my guildies to get my Champ up to par for RoI. Looking forward to whatever new content there is, the class changes, the level cap increase and some more character development.

Posted: Sep 24th 2011 5:05AM stealthrider said

"And all through the land / Not a creature was stirring / Not even a Brigand"

Leaderboard: Which dead MMO is your favorite?

Posted on Jul 30th 2014 12:00PM

The Daily Grind: Do you prize MMO stability?

Posted on Jul 30th 2014 8:00AM