Posted: Sep 23rd 2011 7:45PM Resurge said

Hmm, that's pretty cool, actually CoH was always a game i loved to play for about a month a year, just got too grindy foe me ..I'd love to go back and check out my Ice controller, and see what's changed since I left.

+1 CoH team

Posted: Sep 23rd 2011 8:06PM OnlyMe said

"...And while you won't get all of the VIP content for free, you will be able to enjoy the game and your old characters without owing a dime."

Depending on how many years they were subscribed prior to cancelling and some other factors, they may not get enough character slot tokens to unlock all of their characters. And if they don't have enough veteran badges, and some of their characters are the mastermind or controller types, they may need to pay to unlock those too.

Posted: Sep 23rd 2011 11:05PM Mystal said

@OnlyMe ]

So the only archetypes that I really enjoyed will cost extra?

So much for that concept. I'll wait for F2P STO I guess.

Posted: Sep 24th 2011 2:47AM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
@Mystal

Ahh the f2p grifters...

Posted: Sep 24th 2011 12:06PM Mystal said

@(Unverified)

Ahhh the ignorant trolls....

Posted: Sep 24th 2011 1:41PM Daemodand said

@Mystal If you have 12 months of subscription time in the game, the Mastermind and Controller Archetypes will be unlocked.

Posted: Sep 24th 2011 10:19PM Mystal said

@Daemodand That's good news, but I don't think I was subscribed quite that long. Oh well, we'll see how it goes.

Posted: Sep 26th 2011 12:10AM (Unverified) said

@Mystal

Actually, to unlock Controllers and Masterminds you need 13 reward tokens. From here on out you get one token for every month you're a VIP or for every $15 worth of points you buy from them. Previously though you'd have to have played for 33 months to have that many tokens.

Alternately they're selling (permanate) access to those ATs at $15 each. Personally I think it'd be easier to get the 13 tokens than flat-out buying the things. Especially since in buying them you'd have picked up 2 tokens anyway. Of course, I like the game so I don't have a problem spending some money on costume pieces and the like. Your mileage may vary.

Posted: Sep 23rd 2011 8:54PM mattwo said

And I was just about to get a month on paypal!

Posted: Sep 23rd 2011 11:24PM syberghost said

For me, it comes down to this; if I can use Global Chat channels without paying, I'll be back. If not, I won't. Period.

If I come back, I'll spend some money. So give me global chat and I'll give you money, NCSoft. Don't, and I won't.

Posted: Sep 24th 2011 12:16AM Resurge said

@syberghost really? global chat is the deal breaker? personally i dont want global chat rights as a free customer, too many spammers, and no way to control them. I do however, want to be able to send /tells and access characters i have already made in the past for free.

Posted: Sep 24th 2011 12:30AM StClair said

@syberghost
Like Resurge said, they /can't/ give out free chat access, not without being buried in spammers.
Last I heard, just $5 will get you all the chat you want. If a one-time payment of $5 is where you choose to make your stand on principle... that's your call, I guess.

Posted: Sep 24th 2011 10:32AM syberghost said

Update:

As a former subscriber (four years starting at launch), I have global chat access! *\o/*

The reason it's a deal breaker; my SG folks play on both factions on multiple servers. The only reason we can do that and maintain coherence is, we have a global chat. I can talk to all my friends while I play, and if somebody needs help with a mission, people can jump off whatever server and faction they're on and group up, on short notice.

Posted: Sep 26th 2011 12:15AM (Unverified) said

@syberghost

I think anyone who's tier 3 should have access to the global channels, which means anyone who paid for 12 months of game time.

If anyone's really close (like a token or two) and isn't completely adverse to giving Paragon Studios some money, the first time you buy points from them you get an extra reward token as a bonus.

Posted: Sep 24th 2011 1:11PM (Unverified) said

I dont like games changing to f2p, especially ones that were AAA.

BUT, City of Heroes has done it WONDEFULLY. And I actually am HAPPY with the f2p changes (I'm a subscriber/VIP)
EVerything in the store is awesome and epic, only a few xp boosters, etc... The GREAT part is that you can buy a BUNCH of things for just the 400pts u get a month, and if you have 800 pts of more, you will be happy. Whilse some things cost 400 and 800 bucks EACH(the equivalent of $5 and $10 - there is A LOT of stuff thats only 200 pts, or 100 pts, and costume pieces are ONLY 20, 40 and 60 pts!(most are 40pts) Thats like 50cents per new costume piece unlocked on ALL characters, new and old.

If you played coh/cov a while ago, COME BACK -its 10000x better now. You pay 15/mo and get evertything unlocked, 400pts extra for the store, and THE ENTIRE Going Rogue xpac content, costume pieces and maps -FREE.

COH will continue to get better and better- once you adjust to the art style and way combat is, you will LOVE it. (Wait until you get to level 10 before you judge the game. I hated it the first two times I played. Now I will ALWAYS be subbed, AND I play DCUo too! CO sometimes(its too fast paced, which makes it easy to not appreciate all the amazingness of the game - they need to cut xp in half)

COH will only get better and better and look better too! COME BACK and look me up!

ALL PLAYERS WHO COME BACK, msg/mail me and tell me you are from massively. I will GIVE YOU 50,000 INFLUENCE for ANY charcter under level 15 you message me with. (must be new to game or returning)

Freedom Server = Xalos(Vill)

Virtue Server = Xa-Lon(hero) and Xaylon(Praetorian Hero-Resistance)

See you soon in CITY OF HEROES!!!