Posted: Sep 22nd 2011 12:43PM Halldorr said

I really wanted to play this game more but my wife couldn't get into it. She felt there was too much crafting in the starter town we went to and would prefer to kill things...vicious woman...think Boneclaw would help?

Posted: Sep 22nd 2011 1:17PM josephwillmon said

@Halldorr Definitely. It sounds like you might have started in the crafting specific starter town. There's a little description under each starting town that will let you know what you can expect by going there; head to Boneclaw or Clinton Farm if you just want to click on things until they die ;)

I urge you to retry it, because with all the crafters in the game already they totally need someone to sell their stuff to!

Posted: Sep 22nd 2011 3:01PM Feydakin said

I've been back and forth into Fallen Earth since 11/17/08 when I got my alpha testing invite. It is amazing how much the game has changed, mostly for the better, since then. While I would have rather seen the original crew stick around and the game do well from the beginning, I think all things considered I am glad that it still exists. Going forward I just hope that GamerFirst take good and careful care of FE and don't take away what makes it special. I don't play FE as much as I want to (not enough hours in a day), but it always feels like a special experience every time I log in...

Posted: Sep 22nd 2011 3:27PM Eric Francis said

I bought the game when it came out because i want to encourage indie devs who try something different.

Unfortunatly, apart from the setting, i didnt find alot of difference between that game and say, WoW.

Let me explain.

One of my favorite MMO games is Shadowbane. One of the things i found utterly amazing in that game is how different levels of monsters where spread out all across the map.

This type of design in one that fosters exploration. You are not forced into a rail-type design where you do village A, do all the quests, move to village B, do all the quests, do village C, do all the quests, rinse repeat.

You can just roam with a group of adventurers and try to find things, a particular set of mobs that drops a particular set of stuff. A great waterfall with nesting creatures that do a pattern of going out for food while you take something from their nests. Main idea being, you are not forced into the village ABC mold, you have a whole world to explore and you can take off and do just that.

The village ABC design is what turned me off the most in Fallen Earth. The setting begs for some exploration, for setting off into the sun and explore the world.
At some point, thats what i did.
Walk across the land for 30minutes straight only to find mobs strictly above my level and the only thing waiting for me was a 30minutes walk back to my village and back to the rail-design leveling threadmill.

Instead, i logged off and never logged back in.

I would really, really, like a game where exploration is rewarded, and you are not forced into a mold about which part of the world you can explore. Of course some regions are expected to be harder, but as a general rule, a free-roaming style is direly needed to rekindle my MMO flame.

Posted: Sep 22nd 2011 5:28PM epilepticemu said

@Eric Francis Yes! I remember from EQ when you had to /con mobs to see how difficult they were compared to your level. I kind of miss that. These days, you don't even look at the strength of a mob, because you know that if it's in the area you're in, it's the right difficulty to fight.

Posted: Sep 22nd 2011 7:00PM Yukon Sam said

I have a lot of respect and affection for Fallen Earth. It's not a perfect MMO, but it's a damned good one. Happy anniversary, FE, and many happy returns!

Posted: Sep 22nd 2011 7:30PM Keeop said

I've tried this game 3-4 times since launch, and while I think the setting is fantastic, I never got sucked in. Definitely wish them a happy anniversary, though.