Posted: Sep 22nd 2011 10:51AM nimzy said

YES. Is there a time to go with that date? I need to conveniently schedule a break from work at exactly that time.

Posted: Sep 22nd 2011 10:54AM nimzy said

Nevermind, found it: 3PM EST. Should just coincide with lunch.

Posted: Sep 22nd 2011 10:54AM jaydia said

Same here!! yay cant wait!

Posted: Sep 22nd 2011 11:20AM Dumac said

I'll be watching. I'm very curious about the game.

Posted: Sep 22nd 2011 11:23AM Grumms said

After reading about it, I'm DEFINITELY keeping my eye on this!

Looks awesome. Can't wait for the livestream.

Posted: Sep 22nd 2011 11:45AM Pingles said

The crafting MMO that features PvP and permadeath.

*scratches head*

Posted: Sep 22nd 2011 11:57AM nimzy said

@Pingles To understand this, you have to know where the developers are coming from. Salem is the spiritual successor to a F2P game Seatribe made called Haven and Hearth (http://www.havenandhearth.com/portal/). That game concerns itself with the concept of the emergence of civilization at the dawn of time. Heady stuff. One of its key features was the fact that it considered death as a very serious thing in its setting. You die, you die forever. However, that doesn't mean the end of your story. You have the option of respawning as your own descendant, inheriting skills and land from your old character. The amount you can "take with you," as it were, is strongly influenced by your character's belief in change or tradition. And as for PvP--in a game governed by skill points, the capability of taking a large portion of your enemy's skill points by killing them is quite the incentive. Permadeath also figures largely in the game's concept of law, where the offending party can be tracked down and killed.

Posted: Sep 22nd 2011 12:10PM mechanicalturk said

@Pingles

Not sure why you would be so confused by this. Honestly, crafting in most games is meaningless (even if crafted items are valuable). Seems silly to me to have scarce resources go uncontested in a game where survival in a new world is the theme. This game seems to encourage exploration, crafting, and community based on that theme.

This makes the ideas of pvp and permadeath all the more compelling. If done well, risk / reward evaluation and clever game play will overshadow the typical grind-to-win play styles. I think Fallen Earth could learn some things from Salem.

Posted: Sep 22nd 2011 12:15PM mechanicalturk said

@nimzy

Thanks for the info. If it's possible, that just increased my interest level in Salem. I hope they have some form of the mechanics you described.

Posted: Sep 22nd 2011 1:46PM Pingles said

@mechanicalturk

I don't know enough about this game or the developers intentions to make any statements one way the other, hence my head-scratching.

That being said, any game with PvP and permadeath is, in my opinion, a PvP game. Not a crafting game.

In fact, PvP and permadeath sounds more like Griefers Delight than even a PvP game.

Even games with Outlaw code very rarely turn into nothing other than a forum filled with "Just get a Guild to protect you" as the solution to the games problems.

Who knows, maybe these guys will do it right. I will keep an eye on it.

But I am skeptical.

Posted: Sep 22nd 2011 4:24PM lostparadigm said

Sounds like an interesting setting. The Creative Director listed H.P. Lovecraft as a major influence, which is awesome! I've never played a game with perma-death, so I'm not sure how I feel about that but I'll at least give it a try.

Posted: Sep 27th 2011 5:16AM corpusc said

i thought "crafting" was a jokey way of referencing the WitchCRAFT that will be part of the game.

Global Chat: Through a monitor, darkly