Posted: Sep 22nd 2011 10:09AM OmegaDestroyer said

• 1 heart
I find it really difficult to get excited about this game. I understand why they are limiting it to Vampire: The Masquerade but it feels like a wasted opportunity. There are so many interested characters and concepts floating around in the World of Darkness, being initially limited to humans and vampires is disappointing.

Posted: Sep 22nd 2011 10:30AM Pilgrim said

@OmegaDestroyer

Not sure if you know any of the games, but if they would put in Werewolves, Fae, Hunters, Mages, wraiths and the likes it will be a big game to put out and it will be more thne over 60 different char types, char concepts etc.

Also, it would mean mage would be in, and even tho I like the mage setting, it will be hard to work those out right from the start and have them perform their magic.

What I am more interested in is, will the sabbat and independents be implemented later on, I want my damn Assamite!

Posted: Sep 22nd 2011 10:31AM Yellowdancer said

@OmegaDestroyer

So there is this formula in hollywood for monster movies. Create vampire movies when the economy is bad, Frankenstein movies when the economy is good.

But that has nothing to do with this game. :) It comes down to what can you deliver that's not going to get ripped apart by forumites. Not everyone has 100 million to dump into an MMO. And looking at the current landscape of MMO's, budgets are going to get scaled back because MMO's can't survive with the subscription model to help recoup that investment cost. A deep, entertaining vampire game will do much better than a diluted WOD experience. And at the end of the day you're going to be pushing a vampire MMO not a WOD MMO. WOD is not a widely known IP.

Posted: Sep 22nd 2011 10:47AM paterah said

@OmegaDestroyer Dude you have way too high expectations. The game has a big development cycle as is already, imagine them trying to fit in everything that exists in the IP.

Posted: Sep 22nd 2011 10:49AM Elamshin said

@OmegaDestroyer

I'd rather see a working game world with only humans and vampires at start than a mess with every and all critter WoD has spawned. Expansions are there for a reason.

Besides, it's the CCP and sandbox way to start slowly and have a very long MMO lifecycle.

@Utakata

The way I see microtransactions is it allows developers to circumvent monthly subscribe or quit decision on customer's part. Can't say if it's universal fix to every lagging MMO, probably not.

Posted: Sep 22nd 2011 10:56AM deejrandom said

@OmegaDestroyer I think it is more a matter of focus. Rather focus on one setting and get a good game out than have a shotgun effect of all the settings and have a mediocre game. The other stuff can be blended in to the setting later, through expansion packs and what not, once the main game is complete. That is the gist I got from the interview, anyway.

Posted: Sep 22nd 2011 12:08PM Spacegrass said

@OmegaDestroyer

I think part of the problem is game balance. An average werewolf in the World of Darkness can tear an average vampire apart without much effort. A mage, with sufficient preparation, can teleport a vampire or werewolf into the sun.

Posted: Sep 22nd 2011 6:41PM Utakata said

@Elamshin

How do you know, they're not planning to have a subscription anyway? From the way I see it, CCP will likely be using a simialr model as EVE. That is the dreaded subcription + MT's. And we've all seen how they price items on their cash shop. So yes, there is a huge worry outside of anyone who supports this model and to anyone who thinks EVE's cash shop is outlandish. For which I strongly suspect is the majority.

Although any MT based model should be suspect, IMO...because it delineates between the haves and have nots regardless of the products it sells. Ulitmately the game should reward those with skill and perseverance. And not by the size of the player's wallet. It"s why it's called a game.

However, if CCP really needs to I will grudgingly accept Freemium model that allows players to gain such cash items threw gameplay with a reasonable amount of effort. I've to a degree have grudgingly accepted City of Hero's Freemuim model which more or less allows that. And as I've stated previously in regards to DCUO's Freemium conversion, It's a far better MT model than strickly subs + MT's which is wholly unfair.

Posted: Sep 22nd 2011 7:07PM blackcat7k said

@OmegaDestroyer

There's always the future. Werewolf: The Apocalypse could be an expansion.

Posted: Sep 23rd 2011 11:45AM Skyydragonn said

@OmegaDestroyer
Thats exactly why thier limiting it though. There would be just way way too much to do any of them justice if they were to incorporate Mage, werewolf, Changeling, demon, Hunter etc all from the outset. This way they can build a stable platform and envirionment to build on and later add the other "settings" as expansion content. Once the core is complete and the game is out there.

Posted: Sep 23rd 2011 4:17PM Cluedo said

@Pilgrim

Is Pisha an Assamite? If so, then I want them too!

Posted: Sep 26th 2011 9:58AM Ivarov said

@Cluedo - Pisha is actually Nagaraja, a very rare bloodline originated by euthanatos mages, just like the House Tremere was once mages of the Order of Hermes. I would not hold my breath on such implementation any decade soon. :P

Posted: Sep 29th 2011 4:00PM Allegos said

@Cluedo

She was a Nagarajah, the cannibal clan introduced in Dirty Secrets Of The Black Hand.

Posted: Sep 22nd 2011 10:26AM Utakata said

With all the worry about perma deaths and maturity ratings...it's the last "changing market" bit (read: cryptic micro-transaction apologetics) that might end up killing this game. Just saying.

Posted: Sep 22nd 2011 11:00AM Silverangel said

@Utakata The attempt to tie the game to a fashion and vampire/Goth culture is really, really interesting. Love it. Overt monetization and goals of profiting from this culture do seem a still more difficult.

Posted: Sep 22nd 2011 11:35AM Floodland said

@Sephirah I wouldn't worry. The Twilight kids will discover fairly quickly that this isn't the vampire game they think it is. Probably when I sidle up with a Brujah antitribu and go Protean on them.

Posted: Sep 22nd 2011 11:35AM Floodland said

@Floodland Lulz, I obviously meant Gangrel there.

Posted: Sep 22nd 2011 11:37AM Utakata said

@Silverangel

Not sure what your getting at. But goths have likely being playing that game micro-transaction free for years. If CCP where to emulate WoD to it's PnP couter part, they need to take that into consideration. Just saying.

Posted: Sep 22nd 2011 11:41AM Utakata said

@Utakata

...I also need to drop the "Just saying." as my signature. It's beginning to even irritate me. Sheesh. :(

Posted: Sep 22nd 2011 12:35PM Silverangel said

@Utakata There is no doubt that there is a lot of money to be made, and possibly with real White Wolf branded items as well as the usual in-game pixels. I'm not an expert, but I meant to suggest that this real vampire culture/lifestyle that DeFreest seems to be describing (not the Twilight variety) will not mix prettily with crass cash shop greed.