Posted: Sep 22nd 2011 2:07PM seannewboy said

Well its good to know Stephen has been there all along and is intimate with the team and its procedures. Even the Enterprise occasionally gets a new captain.

Posted: Sep 23rd 2011 2:44PM ddarko said

@seannewboy So the new chief is the lead developer who "helped design and implement nearly every aspect of the game present at launch." You mean the guy responsible for the hideously thought out and implemented ground combat? The launch day bugs such as missions that couldn't be finished that persisted for months (some of which still aren't fixed)? He may personally be a fan of Star Trek but the mediocre quality of his past work on this title doesn't fill me with optimism.

Posted: Sep 22nd 2011 2:18PM Lateris said

@ Brandon- thank you for the article I know I feel insecure about him leaving which reflects my involvement with the game. I am hoping for the maps to get merged.

Posted: Sep 22nd 2011 2:35PM Seldra said

@Lateris
The plan was last I checked was for sometime around Season 5, it's currently still Season 4, so I'm sure you'll see it around next year.

Posted: Sep 22nd 2011 2:25PM Kark said

• 1 heart
Nice sugar coating of a burning ship where even the rats have left.
Alot of staff have left Cryptic the last 18 months. First they were sold off to the chinese, then it's going F2P and then the Captain leaves the ship.
And now players after a 8 months content draught are beeing told no new content until the game goes F2P. (BOFF system etc is not content)
And not only this after all this time new people to the game can still not make a KDF faction player from start, after the game is F2P one must first lvl up to lvl 25 federation faction before unlocking the KDF faction, beyond EPIC FAIL. And that is after all of this btw , notice how the person who made the thread is banned http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=217322

Posted: Sep 22nd 2011 2:29PM (Unverified) said

@Kark Sir, thank you for the feedback. I will direct you to paragraph 3 of the article, though. Also, paragraph 4: turnover is very common, especially amongst the EP role (they get bigger, and better offers because their work is public).

Posted: Sep 22nd 2011 3:52PM Interitus said

The timing is pretty terrible, with the F2P model being rolled out, it would have been nice to have stability for older members in the form of a familar face (or name).

Posted: Sep 22nd 2011 4:45PM (Unverified) said

Timing is probably not the best, but Dan is a fellow human who needs to look after himself first before anyone else (the sense of entitlement that I've read in the forums can reach epic proportions!!). I'm also getting a little sick of the ludicrous negative nanny posts (not to mention doom/gloom) in the forums - all of them are eyeroll inducers (or laughs).

Good luck to Dan with his future endeavours.

I would take a guess that STO will continue along with the current plan, and they probably won't get a new EP until next year when F2P has been launched and going for a while.
But who knows, they may keep Stephen :)

Posted: Sep 22nd 2011 5:41PM Quarlo said

I will miss Dan when he leaves the big chair on the bridge of STO. He did alot to restore the faith of the players after a rocky launch. Dan communicated with the players and much of what the players were clamboring for has been added, including The Foundry (which is a FANTASTIC tool for players to create their own stories). But there is still alot to do (Klingons?) and we can only hope that the pieces are place to take STO to the next level.

Whatever company gets Dan will be a better place the moment he walks though the door.

Posted: Sep 23rd 2011 12:39PM The Grand Nagus said

If Cryptic hadnt just been bought by PW I would say this is a bad sign. However PW actually has the resources to support their products, which Atari didnt. And as has been explained, Dan's leaving is purely for personal pursuits and has nothing to do with the state of the game or company. So regardless of Dan's depature, I think STO is in better shape now than it was under Atari.

In response to the writer's comments about his articles being his opinion, I would like to present a personal challenge to write an article where you discuss both sides of the given issue without emphasizing one over the other, just to see if you actually can.

Posted: Sep 23rd 2011 1:03PM (Unverified) said

@The Grand Nagus This sounds more like a news post than a column, where is should be unbiased. In a column, it is all based on biases.

Posted: Sep 23rd 2011 1:11PM The Grand Nagus said

So your not up for it?

Posted: Sep 23rd 2011 1:19PM (Unverified) said

@The Grand Nagus If it happens, it happens. It's not that I'm not up for it an if you read through all 29 of my column posts it has happened before. It depends on the topic and depends on my outlook. If it's not what you like to read, no one is forcing you to :)

Posted: Sep 23rd 2011 1:52PM The Grand Nagus said

@(Unverified) Hey its cool man! Its your column, so if you are only interested in writing one sided articles then that is completely your right =)