Posted: Sep 20th 2011 1:36PM aurickle said

I like that they'll unlock the veteran rewards based on prepaid time.

I've always thought it was silly that you could buy a six month subscription but then have to wait until those six months were up to see the reward. They won't refund your subscription if you quit early so why should they wait to give you the rewards? Especially since you've shown extra commitment to the game just by forking your money over early like that!

Once again, Trion shows that they're really trying to do right by their players.

Posted: Sep 20th 2011 2:14PM real65rcncom said

@Ren54

Trion's cash shop is different. They will add that probably to RIFT by the summer from End of Nations where pppl can use trion credits as they are called.

Personal vending is different

Posted: Sep 20th 2011 1:46PM Valentina said

Yep, I agree! Also, It's not too wonky of an idea that 6 months in they would begin vet rewards, many modern MMO's have done that. Also, it's a system that starts from whenever 1.5 starts, onward. There's nothing for the first 6 months of the games life. The vet rewards are ones that make sense, too. Not lame potions, but cosmetic/wardrobe gear, personal shop, traveling mailbox, cool stuff!

Posted: Sep 20th 2011 1:49PM Nautius said

STUFF!!!

We love stuff!

Posted: Sep 20th 2011 2:29PM moiax said

An update about additional items that will be available and whatnot:

Personally, I feel like the idea that you get the items based on how much money you throw down, not on how long you've played seems silly, and rather out of line with the idea of them being "Veteran" rewards. It seems like a "Subscription Bonus" more than anything else.

Also, in regards to the rewards: "Additional utility consumables like XP potions / PAXP potions etc, are something we are looking into for future updates. Since the Planar Attunment system is new we wanted to make sure that the system settled in and got tuned appropriately before we gave people a way to boost their progression through it." I dunno.

Posted: Sep 20th 2011 2:51PM Irem said

@moiax
It is based on the time you've spent playing. In terms of sub fees, money thrown down = time; if you've gone out of your way to buy 3-12 months of gametime in advance, you're probably dedicated enough to the game and having enough fun that you're not ready to scamper out the door at a moment's notice. That's a lot of money, and only people with axeloads of disposable income would consider paying that far in advance -just- to get the rewards without also planning to use that time to play.

Posted: Sep 20th 2011 3:07PM aurickle said

@Irem
Exactly. If these were cash shop items, your rewards would be based on how much money you're willing to spend. But the way they're doing it, you're getting the reward based on how long you're willing to subscribe for, which is equal to how long you've played. They're simply assuming that if you've paid for play time you're going to use that time.

Posted: Sep 20th 2011 3:12PM WyattEarp89 said

I am really excited to get the armor! I play on the guardian side and I always did like the armor the NPCs would wear and now I can get similar armor and use it as cosmetic. The other stuff is really cool, can't wait to get it. I hope the rewards beyond 18 months will be great too.

And if people are really saying that this is like a cash shop... good grief people will come up with anything to complain about. If you could buy this armor and it had stats on it that level up with you THEN people getting upset and complaining would make sense. This is why I stay away from game forums since it is filled with angry people, those that enjoy the game are playing rather than wasting their time on the forums complaining that the game is not perfect.

Posted: Sep 20th 2011 3:43PM Balraw said

@WyattEarp89 Yup staying away from game forums is usually the best thing to do to ensure that you will continue to enjoy any sort of gaming be it an mmo or otherwise.

As for these rewards they look pretty cool and I am looking forward to getting my own personal vendor the most. This will save me loads of time as I am one of those people who collects everything and has to make frequent trips to vendors at hubs for a bag clear out. Now the vendor comes to me and I will be able to collect all the junk continually with few breaks /bliss :)

Posted: Sep 20th 2011 3:44PM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
Rewards should be given out on length of continuous game play, not how much game time you are willing to buy. Sorry, SWG vet rewards were like this as well and they were given out on how long you had an active subscription.

The game is 6 months old, everyone who has been here since day 1 paying their subscription should have the same rewards as those who paid for a years subscription. Because all it owuld do is reward the people who slapped down the $10000000 early on. This does not equal loyalty.

I am on a recurring 3 month founders plan. Plan on keeping it active another cycle or two at least.

Posted: Sep 20th 2011 3:47PM (Unverified) said

@(Unverified)

Actually I see what they are doing. They will have rewards say for 24 months. If you paid for a 12 month sub then at the end of it pay another 12 month sub, you could buy the 24 month rewards whereas someone paying monthly will have to wait for the 24th month to buy the rewards.

That's what i got out of it. Correct me if I am wrong.

Posted: Sep 20th 2011 4:33PM Budukahn said

I don't have a problem with them giving out rewards if you pay for the time in advance, although it seems to me from what I've read that you'll be able to get them all (including 12 month rewards) for a 3 month sub that undermined the point of "veteran" rewards a bit to me.

Personally though, I really think this is a bum deal for Defiant female characters. Have you seen defiant female centurions? Them gals don't get a lot of Armour for their reward, even by the standards of fantasy women.

Posted: Sep 20th 2011 4:36PM Gaugamela said

"This is a sign that Trion is desperate"
"Rift must be losing subscribers because they are doing these promotions all the time"

yadda yadda yadda.

Haters gonna hate.

Posted: Sep 20th 2011 5:20PM Valentina said

Considering other MMO's which have been massively successful have had veteren reward programs for ages, the people who say it's a bad sign are ignorant. It's a staple of MMO's, mostly fluff or cosmetic items. People have been wanting the uniforms for their faction since beta

Posted: Sep 20th 2011 7:01PM real65rcncom said

@Valentina
prbaby a bad sign because in those 'other games' you mentioned, you actually HAD to be a veteran, not someone just paying six months or three months upfront

I remember EQ2 had actual vet rewards you had to have been subbed to the game for a certain amount of time before you got swag

here is the cart before the horse to garner subs

Posted: Sep 20th 2011 6:45PM hereafter said

Can we check how long we've been subscribed in the past? I think I have maybe 3 months total, but I'm not certain.

Posted: Sep 20th 2011 7:00PM real65rcncom said

• Half a heart
Sounds like pay to win.

You get vet rewards and you don't even have to be a vet to do it? Pay for six month or three month upfront and get the items

Heres guessing at the real one year anniversary they'll have mounts as a reward for paying up front then

im not sure why they dont put the cash shop in then

Posted: Sep 20th 2011 8:21PM real65rcncom said

@Ren54 no, its not an evil thing but I saw Rift fans harping on TOR for having the same type of thing included in their package and saying it was cash shop and such.

now that rift is having the same thing, it's quite okay with their fans becuase it's not EA that did it. it was Trion so that makes this a "good" thing

Posted: Sep 21st 2011 2:46AM (Unverified) said

@real65rcncom You mean like the mounts we got as the reward for paying extra for the collector's edition?

Posted: Sep 21st 2011 8:59AM (Unverified) said

@real65rcncom

World of Warcarft offers vanity rewards just for logging in on their birthday.

Your argument is irrelevant.

MMO Week in Review: ArcheAge has arrived

Posted on Sep 14th 2014 8:00PM

EVE Evolved: Has the industry revamp worked?

Posted on Sep 14th 2014 6:00PM