Posted: Sep 20th 2011 3:09PM Azev said

Firefall is pretty much doing everything right. The more info released the better it sounds. Crossing my fingers in hopes I get into beta to help get any bugs out.

Posted: Sep 20th 2011 3:19PM engrey said

@Azev I played this game at PAX East and fell in love with it right away. I got to chat (While playing) with one of the art directors and the whole team is very chill. If you like TF2 and if you liked Global Agenda at all, this game is the baby that formed from them.

Posted: Sep 20th 2011 5:03PM drunkingamebar said

@Azev all but the pet thing, it's like an extra layer of frosting on an already frosted cake, it can only get so sweet.

Posted: Sep 20th 2011 9:54PM (Unverified) said

@Azev Dude have you looked at the gameplay? I thought the game had potential until I watched about gameplay videos. It looks like a bad cross-over between Halo and Borderlands. After careful review, I will not be playing.

Posted: Sep 23rd 2011 4:34PM Zerogrifter said

@Azev I'm with you, I think they are taking all the right steps and this is going to become a huge title.

Posted: Sep 20th 2011 3:36PM Chempy said

I'll just post what I posted on their facebook.

"I guess I'll have to be that guy, but what awards/achievements has 'Frag Dolls' raked in? What prestigious tournaments have they been placed in?

At the moment all I see is a women who gets payed by Ubi to look good and play video games...

When it comes to the eSports community, understanding your target audience is a very large issue. Not only do you need to be able to handle the competitive edge of the crowd, but you need to have them to see you as someone they can look up to. The lack of skill/knowledge/'veteran status', held in this position really needs to fit to say the least."

Posted: Sep 20th 2011 4:59PM Psychotic Storm said

@Chempy

Good question I do not know because I do not follow the competitive scene, but form experience I know this, you do not have to be great in a field as a performer to be a good theoretician and have a deep useful knowledge about it, on the contrary the tops of the top, tend to be clouded with their success and tend to approach the subject from their own point of view that while valid is not spherical.

Does this means she will do it right? I do not know history will tell, but I tend to not judge people by their tournament success when the subject is not the first place in a tournament.

For a simplistic example a decathlon coach that has zero personal medal, but has 10 golden medal students under him is a far greater coach that has 10 golden medals under his belt but none of his students have placed even a brass medal yet.

Posted: Sep 20th 2011 5:28PM Chempy said

@Psychotic Storm

I agree with you, a though I see nothing that she can bring to the table that someone with more past history couldn't. In short, she doesn't have "10 golden medal students under" her, and I worry about what exactly they see in this.

Posted: Sep 20th 2011 5:29PM Karen Bryan said

@Chempy You can find a little more about her background in a recent article I did from PAX East, where she spoke about gaming communities. She's got a pretty extensive background in both MMOs (like EQ and Shadowbane) and FPS games, and she was also a community manager for Ubisoft for a while. I don't recall what tournaments the Frag Dolls won, but I recall that they had placed high in several and were pretty competitive.

Here's the link:

Posted: Sep 20th 2011 7:45PM Callagan said

Still going to try Firefall, but I don't think it's ever going to be an esport.

Posted: Sep 20th 2011 9:08PM Grummz said

I posted this to the Red 5 forums at www.firefallthegame.com, but I'm reposting it here.

Morgan was a community manager on Shadowbane before creating and founding the FragDolls for Ubisoft. They play very competitively and Morgan has a tremendous amount of experience in tournaments, organizing matches, and has a lot of contacts in the e-Sports community. Plus, she is shrewd entrepreneur and businesswomen - Its not easy to create a gaming group and keep it going for years to draw in nearly 1.4 million followers. All of these things we need as we create an e-Sports program specifically dedicated to Firefall. A mere pro-gamer would not have sufficed, we need all the other skills as well.

Morgan actually worked with us as a contractor for community for many years. She helped us find Phobos, for example, as our community manager. I've been trying to get her to join Red 5 for years, but she was busy with the FragDolls and her PhD in Anthropology (specializing in online game communities and development teams).

I hope you guys can welcome her as you've welcomed the other devs here at Red 5, and not have preconceived notions just because she happens to be a wonderful, warm and charming woman. It's not fair to start her off with a negative impression before she even makes her first post here to the forums. I would ask yourself if you are pre-judging, and if so, why.

We have big plans for eSports, and Morgan will fill you in on them as we go along.

Thanks in advance,

Posted: Sep 21st 2011 4:47AM Psychotic Storm said

@Grummz

Sounds good to me, I might not be interested to esports myself, but others are and she looks to have good experience behind her.

Betawatch: April 12 - 18, 2014