Posted: Sep 19th 2011 1:59PM (Unverified) said

If they just PROMOTED, dcuo would have easily had MILLIONS of players. But its SOE, the one company that has NO CLUE whats going on in the mmo community and in the world. PROMOTE YOUR GAME, dont go f2p (which holds up a big sign saying "we give up")

CO- good as f2p, coh-great as f2p , DCUO - SHOULD be subscription only, IF SOE pulled their collective heads out of their arses, So yet ANOTHER game will go down the path of laziness - f2p revolution my hiney

Posted: Sep 19th 2011 2:33PM Yellowdancer said

@(Unverified)

Dunno about you but I see ads for DCUO all over the place. Even saw ads on TV and Hulu. Lets not forget that they run ads in every DC comic book. Not sure where else they could advertise.

Posted: Sep 19th 2011 3:22PM real65rcncom said

@Yellowdancer yep. if you thought they advertised before, just wait until now.
I think this game will eventually end up with as many people playing it as Guild Wars does because it will basically end up being probably B2P for most people.

Posted: Sep 20th 2011 2:33AM Amusednow said

@(Unverified) You mean like the countless and probably more than likely free ads for themselves in every DC comic for the past few months ads? This isn't a case of some unknown publisher pushing out a MMO based on a poorly drawn Liefeld comic as a MMO universe, it's Fing DC comics and Sony.

Posted: Sep 20th 2011 4:49AM Sephirah said

@(Unverified)

"f2p will be DEAD within a few years when devs wake up to realize they are catering a game to a vocal minority and not the majority."

"2010's subscription revenue added up to $1.58 billion, a respectable amount but still 5% less than 2009.
...
On the flip side, microtransactions from F2P models are rising exponentially, jumping 24% from 2009 to 2010 to account for $1.13 billion."

Posted: Sep 19th 2011 2:07PM Scarecrowe said

It sucked when it left beta so I'd be interested in taking a look to see how much of the awful UI has been fixed and some of the major show-stopper bugs have been squashed. I sure wasn't interested in paying to have to see that so I may take a look if it's free.

Posted: Sep 19th 2011 2:17PM CookieMillz said

• Half a heart
This is going to suck balls

Posted: Sep 19th 2011 2:43PM tk421242 said

@CookieMillz You have to pay extra for that actually.

Posted: Sep 19th 2011 2:43PM Quarlo said

I love DC Comics but SOE has dissappointed me time and again. If it wasnt the archaic chat system, or the lack of speech bubbles (a no brainer for a comic based game), it was the Valentines Holiday patch being released in March. And don't get me started on the PVP exploits that were ignored.

I'll probably go back to see whats been added to the game, but they're gonna have to knock my socks off with what they've done to get anymore of my money.

Posted: Sep 19th 2011 2:57PM bobfish said

This is all great, but to be honest, what really got me was this line...

" You can look for some announcements about current games in the future, and we're really looking closely at it. We like the model."

Give me Freemium Vanguard and I'll be playing in an instant.

Posted: Sep 19th 2011 3:04PM Lenn said

In my opinion, SOE should have gone with a freemium model for DCUO from the beginning. I like the game, but it doesn't feel like a "true" MMORPG. Not enough zones, not nearly enough social hubs, awkward UI and chat mechanics, etc. It's a game excellently suited for short stints of playing. If you play too much, as many MMOers are wont to do, you burn through the game before you can say "holy lack of content, Batman!"

Posted: Sep 19th 2011 3:26PM Grimcicle 2 Electric Boogaloo said

I'm paid up all the way until December. So I guess I become a "Legendary" subscriber next month?

Posted: Sep 19th 2011 3:49PM Ryukan said

Saw this coming not too long after the game came out. Couldn't see myself paying for a sub for it, but to be honest I don't see myself bothering with it as f2p either. F2p gets boring fast with the limitations put on it and I always end up subbing to the game rather than spending money left and right on the cash shop options or unlocking stuff. And frankly I don't intent to give SOE any money for this game at all.

For the sake of the game and the players hopefully the f2p thing works out for them, or the game will be a true failure.

Posted: Sep 19th 2011 4:12PM Daemodand said

Wouldn't touch it even for free on PC. The controls and community features are just leagues behind every other title.

Posted: Sep 19th 2011 4:24PM Spookimitsu said

"Just to be clear, we gave the current Green Lantern content pack to every subscriber for free, and in the future that's the way we see things going."

Just to be clear, they weren't planning on doing that at first, and probably reconsidered when they saw the sh*t storm on the horizon.

and Just to be clear, we're almost in the 4th quarter of the first year of the game, and we've only seen what One significant content update? Not withstanding the added raids and alerts. This game needs another open world area, badly.

And let's not split hairs here, they first promised monthly content updates, and couldnt keep up with that. I'm not holding my breath for too much that SOE

Posted: Sep 19th 2011 6:56PM Yellowdancer said

@Spookimitsu

Well, Central City should be introduced at some point. I am not sure if its a free update or DLC. They haven't really started talking about it.

I didn't think it was likely that they could release monthly content anyway It takes a week to just get PS3 DLC certified. I think that was a Chris Cao cover-up for the lack of content. To me DCUO always felt like someone ran in the room and said "We have to release 6 months earlier than we thought". Which may have happened considering 2 months after DCUO comes out DC announced that they were rebooting the entire franchise.

Posted: Sep 19th 2011 4:45PM Elikal said

Good idea, but why so late? It was apparent for some time it would only work like this. But even so it needs more content. LOTS.

Posted: Sep 19th 2011 4:55PM notinterested said

I liked the game when i played it just not enough to justify the sub. No i will give it another shot.

Posted: Sep 19th 2011 7:21PM Utopian Warrior said

I've been hoping for a free trial for this game for a while now... but this is much better! :)

I'm also pretty happy to hear they are adopting a hybrid scheme, very similar to what LotRO has. I wish more games did the same.

Posted: Sep 19th 2011 9:23PM (Unverified) said

Massively: In terms of competition, Champions Online went free-to-play and City of Heroes is working on it. Is this something that factored into your decision?

John Smedley: Not at all. We have a very strong belief in the future of the F2P business model. We've got our own ideas, and we feel very strongly that this is the future of the industry. We're certainly exploring it ourselves very deeply, and you can expect more announcements in the near future.

...yeah...right.