Posted: Sep 19th 2011 11:24AM chum said

Very good move. Would like to see a station cash stipend with the sub but otherwise it seems ok. The game should thrive with f2p. Looking forward to playing on the PS3.

Posted: Sep 19th 2011 11:24AM tk421242 said

I enjoyed my time with the beta trial.. but did not feel confident in the product enough to buy the client at launch. There promise of new content every 30 days seemed like a bad bet to me.

Now with a free client download I am much more likely to play and actually drop a few dollars from time to time. Also keeping it on the Station Pass is a good decision, though with SWG closing down the pass is not as attractive to me as it was in the past.

Posted: Sep 19th 2011 11:42AM aurickle said

I would never sub to this game but the freemium model will certainly entice me to come play a bit now and then, and that will also get a few bucks out of me through the store.

So it's a win-win as far as I'm concerned. I'll get a bit more variety in the games I play and SoE will get some revenue that they otherwise would not receive.

Posted: Sep 19th 2011 11:52AM Yellowdancer said

And the odd thing is...it seems like the DCUO community doesn't want F2P. PS3 and PC have given the news a lukewarm reception. I thought they would be happy about it.

There also doesn't seem to be a stipend. Not that big of a deal. I notice games with stipends tend to inflate the prices in their cash shops. EQ2X items seem to have a fair price attached to them. For my tastes anyway so I'm good, I think

Posted: Sep 19th 2011 12:02PM Furdinand said

@Yellowdancer I'm not surprised. If you were a DCUO subscriber or lifer yesterday, you were fine with the status quo. Change carries a lot of risk.

Posted: Sep 19th 2011 12:16PM real65rcncom said

@Furdinand
Some lifers would be happy.

Other lifers see that the IP is pretty popular and the game is actually pretty good. Making it FTP only helps the lifers as people spending money in the shops are going to guarantee regular content updates.

Unlike other mmos where things are kind of complex, DCUO is a fast, quick game that even a 10 year old can play with a controller. Costumes are the number 1 thing they will want to buy, not powerups.

Someone who paid 200 bucks for this game almost two years ago just got the best news they could hear; this game is going to get one huge cash infusion very soon.

Posted: Sep 19th 2011 1:00PM hami83 said

@Yellowdancer With any form of change, or anything, assume that those being affected by the change will hate it and be vocal about it over the Internet.

Humans like routine, and hate change. It's amazing really because things that are clearly a better system/service/product, people still hate it because it's change.

Posted: Sep 19th 2011 1:32PM Saker said

@hami83 You've just explained the psychology behind why the world is the way it is instead of the (radically better) way it -could- be! If only more people in politics and business understood this very simple basic important key to understanding people and their motivations!

Posted: Sep 19th 2011 1:41PM hami83 said

@Saker Yeah. If only. It's the reason I've pretty much given up on humanity as a race that's successful. lol

Posted: Sep 19th 2011 11:52AM Titan1 said

Didn't this game just launch recently? How many people just got hosed from buying at full retail a couple of months ago I wonder...

Posted: Sep 19th 2011 12:04PM Furdinand said

@Titan1 They only got "hosed" if you put absolutely no value on the enjoyment they had playing DCUO this year. It is like buying a hardcover book new when you know in a couple years that the paperback will be in used bookstores for a fraction of the price.

Posted: Sep 19th 2011 11:53AM Lenn said

I just resubbed to the game to check out the new hard light powers. The EU server is downright empty. It's a wasteland. I played last night, peak playtime for other games, and there was hardly anyone around. The few others I did spot were milling around in the Watchtower.

I hope for the sake of the developers (the game is fun and looks great) that this new model will lure in some new and old blood.

Posted: Sep 19th 2011 12:17PM real65rcncom said

@Lenn
There is no EU server. It's all Megaservers now.

Posted: Sep 19th 2011 12:57PM Faryon said

@real65rcncom
Wrong, there is a US megaserver and an EU megaserver. To switch between them you need to change the Version option in the launchpad.

But Lenn is right, the EU server is pretty much empty atm.

Posted: Sep 19th 2011 1:11PM Lenn said

@real65rcncom What Faryon said. I'll check out the US server later to see if that's a little more busy.

Posted: Sep 19th 2011 1:16PM Faryon said

@Lenn
They are a little better (medium-high pop during US prime-time), but if you are playing from Europe you might experience some latency issues.

Posted: Sep 19th 2011 12:00PM pcgneurotic said

I'm just happy to see 'Yay for SOE!' posts again! :D

Posted: Sep 19th 2011 12:04PM slickie said

From launch to F2P in eight months. Oh dear.

Posted: Sep 19th 2011 12:15PM Faction 3 said

@slickie

Just goes to show SoEs "prowess" in running games.

Even moreso, Im not suprised at all. AT. ALL.

Posted: Sep 19th 2011 12:18PM Yellowdancer said

@slickie

It could have stayed P2P. PS3 servers are packed. I have no problem finding groups on the PC server so it was doing fine.