Posted: Sep 18th 2011 5:21PM Irem said

Cautiously interested. I was more excited for it prior to all the EVE controversy this year, but I love the IP enough that I'm still going to follow it.

The ideas they have for it sound like something I'd really enjoy playing, but it remains to be seen whether or not they can pull it off, or if these are just their ambitions for the game. I'm also not thrilled with the possibility of it being sub-based with a cash shop, especially since if it is supposed to be RP-based, all that cosmetic "fluff" that usually gets monetized would be a big part of the game.

Posted: Sep 18th 2011 6:06PM aaradun said

• 1 heart
When i saw the picture though it was for Vampire: Masquerade (since well Massively they took that picture).

Oh well, but it's a ccp game i'll probably stay clear of since they going to have an overprice useless cash shop.

Posted: Sep 18th 2011 9:04PM Tizmah said

@aaradun World of Darkness is Vampire the Masquerade isn't it?

Posted: Sep 18th 2011 10:08PM JuliusSeizure said

@Tizmah

Other way around. Masquerade is one of several World of Darkness game lines.

Posted: Sep 18th 2011 7:45PM The Ogre said

Just vampires and humans? No thanks. Give me Mages any day. The Cult of Ecstasy, Virtual Adepts and, especially, the Sons of Ether are way cooler than anything those pathetic bloodslurpers get.

Posted: Sep 19th 2011 8:15AM (Unverified) said

@The Ogre I think that if the game is successful they'll start to include other WoD races - garou first, I bet. Vampires are popular at the moment and it was always their biggest-selling game by far. Makes sense they'd start there.

Personally I'm with you on mages, but given the sheer versatility of Awakened magic in the tabletop RPG I can't imagine how they'd implement it in this game without just resorting to spell-lists, which for me would really detract from the freewheeling, anything-is-possible feel of Mage.

Posted: Sep 18th 2011 8:41PM Kuroyume said

Only vampires? kinda sucks... out of all the possible WoD races they chose the most generic one...

Posted: Sep 18th 2011 9:00PM Royalkin said

@Kuroyume

I would much rather play as werewolf. I'm not fond of sparkles.

Posted: Sep 18th 2011 8:58PM (Unverified) said

If this game is successful or fails it sounds like it is ushering in actual role playing into online gaming. I think it succeeds for doing that.

Posted: Sep 18th 2011 9:00PM Royalkin said

The Sociopolitical aspects of this game sound very intriguing, but it is truly a shame that it will be riddled with micro... err macro-transactions.

Posted: Sep 18th 2011 9:05PM Tizmah said

Isn't this type of gameplay attempted in Face of Mankind?

Posted: Sep 19th 2011 12:25AM Jagoss said

I see from Seffrid and some others that they have not done any research or even read up on the ideals of WoD or White Wolf itself. This game while having PVP will be a social game, more then fighting and such. PvP will more then likely used to settle disputes but so will social abilities. While the road to the Prince will be hard it will not be because He/She can fight the best, but because of the social networking and manipulating.

So go ahead and pass. Better chance for Me to be the Prince :D

Posted: Sep 19th 2011 12:26AM Jagoss said

@Royalkin

lol hoping your joking. Vamps in White Wolf are not the Emo sparkly vamps of Twilight

Posted: Sep 19th 2011 4:01AM (Unverified) said

A role-playing game that actually encourages role-playing?

Shocking, yet intriguing...

Posted: Sep 19th 2011 7:57AM JuliusSeizure said

@(Unverified)

Exactly what a lot of people said back in 1991 when Vampire: the Masquerade first came out, I'm sure. ;)

Posted: Sep 19th 2011 4:05AM Manjimaru said

@paterah: I agree that single server approach in a ground-based game sounds weird and would require huge amounts of ingame space. I guess it will be generated automatically. When you go somewhere, an instance will be created for it, and other people can also enter that same instance. Kind of like solar systems and deepspace sites work in eve online.

Posted: Sep 19th 2011 4:16AM Manjimaru said

PC game Vampire the masquerade: bloodlines had the best system ever in regards of improving your character. It rewarded completing objectives ie. missions ONLY, not killing random NPCs. This meant that you could accomplish the objectives in a multitude of ways, for example kill all, sneak around all NPCs or achieve objectives through dialog. You could even get bonus points for figuring out difficult solutions like non-violent solutions. It also means theres no 'farming' of the NPCs for rewards like in most MMOs. I really hope this game goes that route also.

Posted: Sep 19th 2011 7:59AM JuliusSeizure said

@Manjimaru

That's roughly how the tabletop version works, so it will most likely resemble this, yes. :)

Posted: Sep 19th 2011 11:52AM Manjimaru said

@JuliusSeizure

What I meant was: thats not how it works in most MMOs of today. So if they made character progression work like that, it would not be only awesome, but also pretty unique. Most of the negative aspects of MMOs in my opinion come from xp being rewarded for defeating NPC opponents, creating the 'grind'. And the fact that pretty much all goals in MMO PVE are behind groups of NPCs that you have to 'defeat'. Its perfectly all right from game designer perspective, since their goal is to simply make us waste time, but its not all right from player perspective.

There is also the problem of there being enough mission content in the game and enough randomness in the problems presented to the players to make it feel fun instead of a grind. Having a multitude of ways of achieving objectives goes a long way.

For example, my first MMO, city of heroes, had theoretically tons of content written in the mission backgrounds. However, it was all just text in a window. The actual mission was finished always in the same manner: beat mobs, beat mobs, beat mobs, beat mobs, beat mobs some more. Sometimes pick up an object, then beat mobs. Thats also how it is in CCP's current flagship, Eve online. PvE in Eve online is pretty darn boring. The game is good because of player interactions, the large scale, and the threat of losing what you have.

To make the missions feel interesting they need huge amounts of artists working on the content in addition to good game mechanics. I hope they pull it off.

Posted: Sep 19th 2011 5:28AM Rodj Blake said

Given CCP's track record of promising lots and delivering little, I'll judge it when it comes out.

But I certainly won't be playing it if you can use RL cash to gain an in-gme advantage.

Why I Play: ArcheAge