Posted: Sep 16th 2011 9:21PM Faith said

It's crazy how after all the money that was dumped in CO and especially DCUO, that CoH is still the best comic book MMORPG over 7 years later.

Posted: Sep 16th 2011 10:39PM Furdinand said

• 1 heart
@Faith It is crazy how people who still like playing CoH think it is better than games that aren't CoH. I punched Parallax in the face today, but fighting a seed is pretty cool too I guess.

Posted: Sep 17th 2011 2:00AM Sente said

@Furdinand Yeah, imagine that - everyone has different taste and preferences...

Posted: Sep 17th 2011 3:20AM Utakata said

@Sente

Yeah that was an odd comment by Furdinand. I'm not sure who he/she was speaking to, to conclude that opinion...but it certainly wasn't me. Since my position has always been that CoH is not the greatest MMO there ever was despite I still play it. I just think it was a well done game for it's time, that has been remarkabley adaptable for it's age...even more so than WoW despitie CoH being older with far less money behind it. The proof is in the pudding. /shrug

Posted: Sep 17th 2011 11:44AM Daemodand said

@Faith Right on, Faith! Of course, it doesn't help that the competition keeps falling flat on its collective face, with Marvel due to be the next "challenger" that fails to beat a 7 year old game due to the crazy stupid direction they are taking.

But credit where credit is due: Freedom is an amazing upgrade to the game, and City of Heroes just continues to quietly innovate in the MMO space. Issues hotly debated in other MMOs (holy trinity, low levels and high levels playing together, waiting in line to kill the boss you need, etc.) CoH solved back in 2004 and even moreso in 2005.

Heck, just look at the quality of movement you get in CoH and compare it to WoW or most other MMOs, even recently released ones. CoH's movement is so much more sophisticated.

And the animations! Compare CoH's animations to any MMO title on the market. It beats most of them hands down. Heck, it beats them all!

Here's to another 7 years of City of Heroes!

Posted: Sep 17th 2011 1:03PM CitizenH said

@Furdinand

"Better" is subjective.

Parallax is a fear entity, and fear is just in your mind, so you punched out an imaginary yellow bug.

But more to the point, you waited over 6 months to do that. The amount of sheer content CoH released in it's first 6 months of operation blows DCUO away.

Not to mention CoH has had THREE major content releases just in the time DC took to get /one/ out, and they're arguably more substantial than what DCUO even had out of the box at launch.

And CoH did it with a smaller development team and without the big Sony and Warner Bros bucks.

"Better" is subjective and abstract, like Parallax, but more power sets, more content, more frequent and substantial updates, a long proven track record of support by the development team, two boxed expansions, seven years of operations without needing server mergers and still the most expansive costume creator are very real advantages CoH has.

Posted: Sep 17th 2011 5:46PM Faith said

@Furdinand Not only do I get to fight a seed, I get to fight a seed with a ton of actual players surrounding me!!! =D I'll take that over solo pew pew pew on an empty "super" merged server any day!

Posted: Sep 17th 2011 4:03AM pcgneurotic said

And now for something completely different.

Do we have a date for Freedom yet, or is it still "later this year"?

Posted: Sep 17th 2011 6:08AM augustgrace said

@pcgneurotic Freedom is live right now for VIPs and open to f2p peeps around 20th-21st.

Went VIP to check it out and I'm much more impressed than the last time I tried the game. The pace seems a bit quicker, graphics sharper and the early quest lines smoother.

Posted: Sep 17th 2011 11:50PM JuliusSeizure said

@augustgrace

Neat!

Do you happen to know if it'll be going into Steam's F2P lineup? They had the Going Rogue edition until sometime in the last two days, but no sign of it now and nothing about Freedom that I can see. :\

Not that it really matters, but it is a little curious.

Posted: Sep 17th 2011 5:44PM pcgneurotic said

Brilliant, thanks for the info! I can't wait to get back in!

Posted: Sep 17th 2011 11:55AM Stormwalker said

This is a pretty cool and fun iTrial. It's basically a big dungeon raid. Light on the gimmicks. Really, just keep Desdemona alive, stick together and you can pull it off without much trouble.

Overall I've been loving Issue 21 and all it's content.

Posted: Sep 18th 2011 11:10AM pcgneurotic said

Man, I'm trying to get my old CoX account sorted with NCSoft, and it is SUCH a p.i.t.a. now. Millions of verifications, Captchas, secret Q&As, everything precisely spelled and capitalised - and now I have to email support and explain everything to them. Yargh! If you want to see the real victims of hacking, witness the innocent players who have to jump through fiery hoops just to get into their accounts again!

Make My MMO: December 14 - 20, 2014