Posted: Sep 16th 2011 10:44PM Bladerunner83 said

@Pingles

If F2P is for you, right on, there is no problem here. F2P is a change and not everyone can get it done right. DAoC is a great game and I hope the only thing that changes with it, is with the announce of DAoC 2. I don't need to know you personal life, but I do enjoy reading your opinions.

Posted: Sep 17th 2011 7:13PM Faction 3 said

@Bladerunner83

No, not really, Im simply pointing out that you're illiterate and can't read past a 2nd grade level. I just happened to illustrate that point on a topic we're both reading, with you proving my point in spades.

Again.

Nobody's stalking you champ....cool off.

Posted: Sep 16th 2011 4:25PM Ehra said

It kinda upsets me a little to see so many people saying they wish so much this game would go F2P and they would be so happy to play it if it did. The reason it hasn't is because EA believes (rightly so, for the most part) that the investment required to convert DAoC to F2P wouldn't see a return in future profits. Everyone wants to play the game when/if it goes free but no one seems to want to actually put money into it, and money is the deciding factor when it comes to an issue like this.

The best way to convince EA to move more resources (which may or may not result in a F2P conversion) to DAoC is to play it now when it matters.

Posted: Sep 16th 2011 7:36PM Jade Effect said

@Ehra

That's why I always say: talk is cheap, truth is where the action is. People can talk all they want, but at the end of the day, action speaks louder.

This just reminds me of the time I was in LoTRO newbie zone. Someone was asking for a free crafted sword. Then someone else start complaining how he hates all these beggars that come with the f2p transition. Many others said they should make the newcomers feel welcomed instead. Then I simply ask "Okay, so which of you are gonna make him that sword?" Dead silence. Heh.

Posted: Sep 16th 2011 4:36PM Bladerunner83 said

This is great news, I think I will re-sub a month to see the new content and chat with some old friends; even make some new ones.

Posted: Sep 16th 2011 7:09PM mysecretid said

I was always surprised by how much I liked this game when I (finally) tried it -- and I wasn't even playing the RvR PvP, I was on the PvE "everybody play nice" server!

The other thing which surprised me is how well I could tolerate the dated graphics. Taste is individual, I know, but I found that DAoC's older graphics weren't ugly, so much as less-shiny (literally) and less finely detailed.

I did have some trouble adjusting to DAoC's sometimes unique control keys ( they don't always follow the so-called "industry standard" because this game existed before certain keybinds became standardized) but I picked up the diffrences fairly quickly.

In fact, I think the only real reason I left DAoC was because other, newer games enticed me away, and I only have so much game-time per month.

It was never really a flaw in DAoC itself.

Your mileage may vary, of course, but that's my take on the game.

Betawatch: April 12 - 18, 2014