Posted: Sep 15th 2011 8:08AM Twitchy5 said

Whenever I say that I play runescape, I get a number of comments like that. It irks me because thousands of people still play and pay for it. But indeed I have to wonder what makes people play some of the games they do, like Ragnarok, or Dragon Raja, but I can understand the nostalgia as I have had that feeling. I can also understand if people still play it because they've played it for so long that they don't want to just let all that time go to waste. As long as people don't play a game just because they want to look cool, I'm fine with it.

Posted: Sep 15th 2011 8:14AM FrostPaw said

I wonder how korean style grindfest games such as Shaiya and Archlord find western players when games like Tabula Rasa and Matrix Online didn't.

Posted: Sep 15th 2011 1:33PM raven7680 said

@FrostPaw
I played Shaiya for a bit and have to agree with you on that one never played Tabula Rasa or Matrix but wish I had they both sounded like they were unique and fun to play. =D

Posted: Sep 15th 2011 4:50PM Haldurson said

@FrostPaw
I totally agree about Shaiya. A friend of mine who really couldn't afford a subscription game at the time invited me to play -- It felt familiar at first, but then devolved into endless grinding, plus, not to mention the old eq-style marketplace creating enough lag that it was impossible to even take a step.

Posted: Sep 15th 2011 8:23AM Everfaust said

• Half a heart
the games that get me are AION, Warhammer, WoW, or... lol, well any MMO that hasn't had any legit content added in months.

oddly enough, I like to play League of Legends and MTG on my 360.
for most games that totally urk me, it comes down to PvP and gear = skill.

I hate that concept as well as the PvE grind for it ~ I don't like to raid for
gear, I like to do it for a challenge.. but there just isn't any games out
there right now up to said challenge.

once you run a dungeon, it'll be the same every time you go back.. it's quite boring.

as of now, the only game I'm even looking forward to is Guild Wars 2 and the release of Dominion for LoL.

perhaps the rest of the industry will catch up to ArenaNet and try to innovate rather then spew out the same clone/grind that's been around since EQ was released ~ but I wont hold my breath.

Posted: Sep 15th 2011 8:29AM alzeer said

still play my 1st MMO : FFXI
i try almost every new MMO and at the end of the day i come back it.
i guess because i have few friends still playing it and the game doesn't change much so it got "home" feeling to it.

Posted: Sep 15th 2011 8:57AM bulldozerftw said

counterstrike

Posted: Sep 15th 2011 8:58AM (Unverified) said

DAOC

Soloing was painful. ...Everything was painful! Have they at least changed the rate health/mana recharge so you're not waiting 5 minutes between fights without a buff-bot?

Posted: Sep 15th 2011 9:46AM Ehra said

@(Unverified)

Yeah, they've made things a LOT easier. Power regen is so high anymore that you practically never run out even during extended sieges; it was nice that they made leveling easier but it also sort of messed up the flow of RvR too. You can also level through repeatable quests in BGs now which are extremely fast.

Posted: Sep 15th 2011 9:58AM Pingles said

@(Unverified)

Just the fact that people are still paying a sub! For DAOC!!!!

I can't figure out why they dont go F2P. I think they'd get quite a few players!

Posted: Sep 15th 2011 9:00AM SwarlesBarkley said

I say that about Entropia or whatever its called nowadays. Ultimate grindfest and biggest rip-off for dollars to play time I have ever seen.

Posted: Sep 15th 2011 9:21AM Tom in VA said

Guild Wars.

Considering its age and the lack of any new campaigns or expansions for many years, along with the advent of so many "newer, shinier" MMOs, GW should be dead and buried by now. But it's not.

People still play GW1. Heck, I still play GW1.

Instead of always copying and/or trying to improve upon the WoW format, I wish at least a few developers would take a good look at GW's magnificent skill system, level cap, PvP, combat, graphics, world building, deep lore, use of heroes/henchmen, instanced CORPG, missions/dungeons, map travel, and terrific business model and try coming up with something less WoW-like and more like GW1-like.

Just saying.

Posted: Sep 15th 2011 9:29AM JohnFordColey said

I have to say that I'm surprised Vanguard is still running. I never really got into the game, but I do know that the people who play it are pretty into it, so kudos to them for keeping the game alive.

Posted: Sep 15th 2011 9:48AM Ehra said

I was absolutely shocked when I recently discovered that Everquest Online Adventures, a PlayStation 2 exclusive MMO, was still up and running and apparently still had at least one well populated server.

It almost tempts me to see if I can find a copy and try it out someday.

Posted: Sep 15th 2011 9:57AM mrantimatter said

@Ehra
I used to play that back in the day. It was...almost insulting to Eq1 fans.

Game lacked quests, armor designs, weapons designs, graphics were always a bit meh, and seemed overly simplified.

Most people dropped it right after the first, and only, expansion. It was basically an infinite grind, with little point because everything looked the same, and raids were difficult due to no instances and the ps2's memory limits.

Posted: Sep 15th 2011 10:22AM (Unverified) said

@Ehra Yeah. This is the 'people still play that?' game I see as well. I too was just looking at it's continued existance... last night! It has no dev team since it's not worth anyone's time to continue developing, and because no one remembers how to code it! Yet it still exists as some odd time capsule.

Part of the problem playing it now is because PS2s (and backward compatible PS3s) are no longer manufactured! So if your PS2 dies... it could be annoying to find another.

It's really strange. But I also find the fact people still play it really amusing. It makes me happy to see even a game like that continues.

Posted: Sep 15th 2011 10:12AM Vgk said

• 1 heart
I understand why people play even dated games, DAoC even today has one of the best PvP systems in an MMO etc.

I however for the life of me cannot understand why anyone still even plays Star Wars: Galaxies.
Decorating a house or dancing for random people to make money won't make me feel like Lan Madragoran, Luke Skywalker, or Aaragorn. There's other (imo) vastly better sandboxes out there, the thing however is these sandboxes aren't as centered on "decorating one's house"

The mere concept of why anyone in their right mind would ever play some of the classes ( primarily entertainer) and the hours invested in decorating a house is just something I'll never understand.

So dated graphics, not the most stable devs, the rise of a much bigger Star Wars game on the horizon, classes, 1 button rotation macros (as in your whole rotation) among other reasons always has me wondering why people still play that game

Posted: Sep 15th 2011 10:26AM (Unverified) said

@Vgk Not everyone plays MMOs to enable power fantasies. Some just want to experience a different world, often in ways not available elsewhere. It makes perfect sense why people play a game when a similar experience isn't available elsewhere, because a similar experience isn't available elsewhere.

Posted: Sep 15th 2011 11:09AM (Unverified) said

@(Unverified)

I played SWG pre-NGE and was loving it. If it wasn't for the fact that, in all honesty, most people cared more about the things you mentioned than the space game (among other things), I probably would have stayed till the very end.

That aside, Asheron's Call is the one game I'm surprised people still play, but only because the graphics are dated. It still has some really good mechanics and features in place that I miss from modern MMOs, and some of the best lore too (btw, why hasn't WoW yet explained why everyone comes back from the dead until Metzen needs plot points?)

Posted: Sep 15th 2011 10:13AM Lucidus said