Posted: Sep 15th 2011 2:53PM Balraw said

@(Unverified) Trion say that their subs are continuing grow each month but provide no figures (which they have no obligation to provide to anyone but stockholders, investors etc.). People like yourself continually say that RIFT is failing, again without showing any sort of proof other than conjecture and guesses.

So short answer is no one outside of Trion/stockholders know what the state of play is with regards to the sub numbers.

As a player of RIFT all I will say for certain is that as long as the game keeps me entertained I will continue to pay my subscription and as soon as I stop being entertained I will stop my sub (not going to happen any time soon.)

Sorry for the off topic but this style of comment from the vocal minority who want RIFT to fail (for reasons that I cannot fathom) is starting to annoy me. Here's hoping that when Swtor is released that will be the mmo poeple will love to bash :)

Posted: Sep 15th 2011 2:58PM Balraw said

@Balraw this makes no sense now as the comment I replied to seems to have been removed. C'est la vie

Posted: Sep 15th 2011 5:33PM Keeop said

@Balraw meh, I wouldn't put that much thought into it. "This game is failing" generally equals "I don't like this game."

Posted: Sep 15th 2011 5:40PM Utakata said

@Balraw

Yeah...I was kinda wonder if you where posting the wrong idiot. As in me, as opposed whoever was going on about Trion. O.O

RIFT does raise an interesting possibility as being the only active MMO currently that's still truely sub without micro-transactions (even with Trion's next project will be a Freemium MMORTS). It will be fascinating to know if RIFT is drawing in a enough revenue currently that Trion will keep it MT model free. (I hope they do!)

Posted: Sep 15th 2011 12:50PM herculesmrb said

Yup, 'micro'(why are we still using this term) transactions is where the money is going.

Posted: Sep 15th 2011 1:05PM drunkingamebar said

@herculesmrb Good question, why is "micro" being used still when virtual currency can cost 10 to 200 dollars a pop... Pay to play games are cheaper to play, I don't see why people flock to this rubbish!

Posted: Sep 15th 2011 1:12PM drunkingamebar said

@drunkingamebar er yeah, lets not forget economy atm, guess that would also play a pretty big role. When people start to worry, entertainment is one of the first things to go in the attempt to save a little more monies.

Posted: Sep 15th 2011 1:45PM blackcat7k said

@drunkingamebar

That's the point. You're not saving any money with this majority of these F2P play titles. They usually have pay-to-win incentives in them that you pretty much have to buy in some cases if you expect to actually develop you character to maximum level.

Sure I may be able to play more F2P games, but I'm just really faffing about because I don't intend to actually drop cash to develop this character to the point that they'll be worth a damn because:

A lot of these F2P sell their pay-to-win PER CHARACTER. I would think that right there would be enough to scare anyone away from F2P.

I rather pay a developer 15$ a month and do whatever the heck I please in the game. When the month is done. I'm done. Let the company hold on to my character info if I come back.

Posted: Sep 15th 2011 2:40PM Knuxson said

@blackcat7k It depends I think, although most F2P games are so obviously greedy that I won't touch them. The only F2P games I have played extensively are Vindictus and LotRO because while I have spent some money in each I have also bought everything I want to buy and can now play them without paying anything. After some months pass I will actually be saving money over what I would have paid if I was on a $15 a month plan. The plus side of that also is that if there is a month I don't play as much I don't have to pay $15 anyway. I always hated when I would play for a total of 8 or 10 days out of the month but would still have to pay $15.

Posted: Sep 15th 2011 4:47PM EdmundDante said

@drunkingamebar Depends. Cheap entertainment tends to do well - rather than say long trips/expensive vacations.

Posted: Sep 15th 2011 5:17PM Graill440 said

@herculesmrb

Microtransactions or pay as you play terms are not fraudulant, and are accurate, compared to F2P which is fraudulant, misleading intentionally and not accurate. Whether you want to see it in type or not. Companies use Free to Play for only one reason, and its not because their games are free.

No game is free to play by definition, if it was free to play the company would not make any money. Companies use the term Free to play to snag the people with much lower "standards" (i say brains) among gamers intentionally. It doesnt take a rocket scientist to figure that out, or a person using the term F2P living in denial that the restrictions they are forced into are nothing and they are glad a game is "Free to play", these people simply have lower standard and expectations, and are tagalongs, enjoying a life of denial, "i dont need that, or i dont need this" "i can do without this area", "I am not interested in all that content", "who cares if it takes me ten times longer to level or i can only level so far", "i dont need what the paying subs are enjoying, i'm fine!"

People that believe F2P exists are the same people that watch Jersey shore. (Laugh)

If the wave of the future is microtransaction models i am fine with that, i will however understand that subscription games will NEVER go away either, simply because mixed in with all the metrics of that Microtransactions report, are the small subscriptions to vips, preemies, etc. Subscriptions will always dominate even if they are small ones mixed in with the microtransactions and a report says microtransactions are dominating subscriptions, well no they arent, microtransactions are a small part of the system mixed in with the vip subs, preemie subs, or standard subs. Microtransactions by themselves with no vip support or preemie support numbers (which are subs by definition) would not show the revenue numbers.

These game companies release data, how they want, and mixed any way they deem so you the consumer will believe it. Subs will never go away.

Posted: Sep 15th 2011 5:27PM sortius said

@drunkingamebar What economy problems? oh, right, rest of the world, not Australia.

I'm not sure I'd blame that on a drop in revenue, considering as a whole revenue was up 5%. If you look, it's been dropping for some time. I dare say it's due to so many quality F2P MMOs out there & some switching to F2P/Freemium models, nothing more.

Posted: Sep 15th 2011 9:11PM (Unverified) said

@herculesmrb No. Actually the $$$ is staying in gamers pockets as they quit WOW by the thousands. Its a really bad time for MMO's. Everone seems to be waiting for Torchlight MMO. Firefall looks bad but Wildstar looks impressive.

Posted: Sep 16th 2011 2:19AM drunkingamebar said

@sortius No I wouldn't blame that, but I would blame the steady increase of unemployment.

Posted: Sep 15th 2011 1:02PM (Unverified) said

No surprise really

Posted: Sep 15th 2011 1:03PM Yog said

The subscription model isn't losing grip, it's the MMO genre that is.

People are tired with most of the games out there and are waiting for the next big title to hopefully whisk them away into a land of MMO addiction. However, in the meantime they still want to play something. So they download anything that is free and start playing it and if by some chance they happen to become amused by one of those games they pick up they decide to start investing some money into it to create a better experience for themselves.

If in the future a good subscription game comes out they will be more than willing to pay the monthly fee again and drop whatever F2P game they're playing. So you see, it's not the subscription model that is suffering but MMOs in general.

Try to look past the numbers people.

Posted: Sep 15th 2011 1:47PM bobfish said

@Yog

I seem to recall Turbine saying that after their game (whatever one it was), went free to play, they actually saw an increase in subscribers, not a decline.

Posted: Sep 15th 2011 2:57PM Saker said

@Yog Agree! Well said, well written.

Posted: Sep 15th 2011 3:05PM Darkstryke said

@Yog Well said Yog. The only games that have changed from a subscription model to a F2P base have been the ones that were failing in the first place

Posted: Sep 15th 2011 5:20PM Graill440 said