Posted: Sep 15th 2011 9:09AM jpkustra said

People still play that game? :)

Posted: Sep 15th 2011 9:17AM Yellowdancer said

@jpkustra

You don't play EQ, you live it!

Posted: Sep 15th 2011 9:58AM (Unverified) said

eq1 f2p yet? i know eq2 was,didnt like it much its so gutted.

someone said eq1 was f2p but i never read anything bout it,and always wanted to try it i got another game stead of this when it came out

Posted: Sep 15th 2011 10:06AM Yellowdancer said

@(Unverified)

Its not F2P. There is really no way to monetize the game features. SOE doesn't want to RMT content and the tech is so old they don't have a lot of cosmetic items. Plus, the subs on EQ1 are still high cause people never really quit the game. They do have a trial though.

Posted: Sep 15th 2011 10:28AM Ehra said

I've been doing a free trial of EQ2 recently and really enjoying it. I remember looking up at the sky one night ingame and seeing what looked like an exploded planet and was all "holy crap, what's that all about?" Not sure if that's an EQ1 or 2 thing, but it's the most obvious example I can think of right now of the feeling of depth and vastness I've been getting from the EQ2 lore, which is likely helped by having another previous game to draw lore/ideas from.

Anyway, my point is that I'm thinking of getting a station pass and trying out EQ1 too. I played DAoC back in the day, so I think I'd be able to get into such an old school game (never played the original EQ before).

Posted: Sep 15th 2011 3:13PM Skai said

@Ehra The sundering of Luclin(the moon) by Rallos Zek and Solusek Ro is considered the splitting point between the EQ1 timeline and the EQ2 one.

Posted: Sep 15th 2011 1:30PM raven7680 said

If that is in-game footage, color me shocked at how nice the graphics are for such an old game. Even the NPCs look pretty good, I'm rather impressed. It's nice to see that people still play EQ and that SOE cares (or seems to atleast) enough to keep the updates and expansions flowing for those who still play.

Posted: Sep 15th 2011 3:48PM Ardra Diva said

Every now and then I get nostalgic and try to recapture my original wonder and joy from the first MMO I played, EQ. So i install it and think hey, I'll enjoy being in the original game again, and all those features I miss now...

Then I am struck by how far behind the graphics are, and I lose interest after 10 or 15 minutes.

You can't really go home again... but it's not home that changed, You did.

Posted: Sep 15th 2011 4:40PM socialenemy2007 said

Many great memories of classic eq1, + Kunark and Velious. Then PoP ruined it :(

Posted: Sep 16th 2011 12:43AM Yellowdancer said

@socialenemy2007

They have 2 servers up just running EQ1 classic now.

Posted: Sep 16th 2011 1:24AM socialenemy2007 said

@Yellowdancer nice, are they just Kunark and Velious?

One Shots: Hello, autumn