Posted: Sep 15th 2011 9:51AM Dunraven said

• Half a heart
The techno fantasy and "Mega Lazors" has turned me off of GW2 which is really a shame as I was looking forward to it. There was a time when that concept was fresh and new now every developer and his ugly sister are doing it. Arenanet should have left out the Techno and stuck with the original Guild Wars setting.

Posted: Sep 15th 2011 9:59AM Eamil said

@Dunraven

Magi-tech isn't an angle I've seen in a lot of games lately, but to be honest, you're entitled to your opinion and everything but complaining that "everybody's doing fantasy technology" and then saying ANet should have stuck to traditional fantasy which is still FAR more prevalent seems a little strange.

Posted: Sep 15th 2011 10:07AM toychristopher said

@Dunraven The original guild wars setting is still there, in the original guild wars. And in WoW, everquest, everquest 2, lotro, rift, conan, etc...

It's just one race not the entire game, and the game world is evolving. How could you not want to see what has changed over the years since the original game?

Posted: Sep 15th 2011 10:08AM Ehra said

@Dunraven

You mean the original setting that had techno fantasy introduced to it in Eye of the North? The original setting that had siege guns mounted onto giant turtles?

I always think it's a little funny when people complain about how everyone's doing "X" thing and that it's not "fresh" anymore, then turn around and tell developers to repeat the same thing they did six years ago instead of taking the new direction they want to just to avoid doing what "everyone else" is doing. That doesn't sound very "fresh" to me, especially considering the "original Guild Wars setting" was just regular fantasy anyway.

I also never understood judging a concept based on how "everyone else" implements it. So what if other people have done similar concepts? If they take it in an interesting direction and it fits the world they build then that shouldn't matter. They gave us an interesting take on "plain fantasy" settings with GW and I'm looking forward to experiencing their take on something else with GW2.

Posted: Sep 15th 2011 10:28AM Kalec said

@Dunraven

Ok your comment make no sense but I'll try to find it any way. Basically what your saying is that:

1) Everyone is doing steam punk (or magi-tech) so aNet should stick with traditional fantasy. But wait even if everyone is doing steam punk (which is untrue of itself) they should stick with something that is done to death ?

2) They should have stuck with the original setting you say ? but the original setting had magi-tech (eye of the north) just not as much (now it seems to be everywhere).

And I must say this again ... who is this "every developer and his ugly sister " because I love this kind of stuff but I couldn't find it in almost any other game except Allods. Srsly link plz!

Posted: Sep 15th 2011 11:52AM deffbee said

@Dunraven I want to introduce to a good friend of mine. His name is hipster kitty i think you guys would get along well.

Posted: Sep 15th 2011 1:07PM Utakata said

@Dunraven

I sure get amused by some peeps` luddite views of fantasy. Yet most fantasies uses some form of mechanical and/or magical technology including the war machines in Lord of the Rings. It seems to be rather a staple of fantasies as opposed something awkwardly attached on because it`s in vogue as the complainer claims. Whether is simple mechanical wheel, cogs or levers - which are used to open gates or lodge projectiles - or something more fantastical, such the water bridges and likely magic holographic displays used by the Asurer shown. It`s all technology. Unless Dunraven can come with a fanatasy where all its protagonist races lives in caves and hunts by spears as our ancestors did, this protest is kind of silly at best.

Posted: Sep 15th 2011 4:00PM winterborn said

• 1 heart
@Dunraven

I agree, I will not bother with this game due to this type of world. This breaks any chance of immersion for me but to each thier own : (

Posted: Sep 16th 2011 4:54AM JuliusSeizure said

@Dunraven

Magic is just technology that hasn't been explained by in-depth scientific analysis yet, anyway.

What, you bought into the ludicrous idea that magic was something science could never explain? My friend, you clearly don't know what science is: Specifically, it's a method by which anything can be understood. Nothing more, nothing less.

If it exists, science can explain it someday.

Posted: Sep 15th 2011 9:57AM Verus said

Looks really nice. Perhaps a bit too cute for my taste but is just me.

Posted: Sep 15th 2011 10:01AM Eamil said

Rata Sum looks AMAZING.

That is all.

Posted: Sep 15th 2011 1:16PM BigAndShiny said

@Eamil
The holographic displays looked liked something out of mass effect rather than GW, not even steampunk has that I think.

Posted: Sep 15th 2011 6:15PM Ehra said

@BigAndShiny

Considering ME is more Science-Fantasy than Science Fiction, it's not too surprising you'd see some similarities in the technology found in ME (Biotics aren't "magic"...... riiiiight) and magic fueled technology like the Asura holograms.

Posted: Sep 15th 2011 10:03AM Vorender said

Straight up high fantasy is so overplayed. How can anyone still want that style of world after 14 years of it being the main driving style in the genre? More sci-fi / modern day / horror MMOs please!

GW2 is looking awesome as always. Great job A-Net. It's your attention to detail that has kept me interested in this game.

Posted: Sep 15th 2011 10:12AM LtRoosevelt said

Finally magi-tech!

Posted: Sep 15th 2011 10:14AM aurickle said

I have no interest in playing Asura but I'm really looking forward to visiting this city. That first shot in the video that then pulls back establishes just how epic the scale is. It's got to be incredible to come to for the first time as a player.

Posted: Sep 15th 2011 11:16AM drunkingamebar said

@aurickle same here, but I am also glad it's not a comic relief quirky race that blows everything up with stupid inventions!

Posted: Sep 15th 2011 11:01AM Oskiee said

So... between GW2 and TOR.... i dont know what to do!

On another note... Is there any way i can try GW1 for free, just so i can check it out.

Posted: Sep 15th 2011 11:15AM Lenn said

@Oskiee They have a trial: http://www.guildwars.com/

Posted: Sep 15th 2011 11:17AM Ehra said

@Oskiee

This gives you a week or X amount of gameplay time before the trial ends (don't remember how much exactly). Also keep in mind that I think this only lets you do Prophecies content, so there's quite a bit (like heroes) that you won't be able to mess with.

Why I Play: ArcheAge