Posted: Sep 14th 2011 3:26PM yeppers said

That's great news about Ablegamer. I friend of mine has cerebral palsy and is very limited in the usage of one of his hands. He likes to game but has been limited to controller-based (primarily console) games. I really hope they grow the technology in this area. Any of us (game addicts) could become disabled in some way at any time.

As a side note, it would also be nice if the MMO communities become more accepting of people who may use a different input device or style of controlling their character in-game. "Keyboard turners" are still treated horribly in MMOs.

Posted: Sep 14th 2011 3:42PM Beau Hindman said

@yeppers Something I learned working with Ablegamers a long time ago was that everyone WILL be disabled at some point, period. Old age, whatever. So yeh, it's in our best interest to invest in technologies now, so we can still be jamming on games at 96! :)

Beau

Posted: Sep 14th 2011 6:46PM tooright said

@yeppers sadly even perfectly healthy and able people will be guilty of keyboard turning no matter what how many empowering peripherals are invented.

On a positive note a guild I used to be in years ago had a simple rule.

If you aren't on ventrilo you don't get a raid invite.

Well we had a deaf player in the guild and he couldn't hear a darn thing.

did he demand an exception to the rule? nope!

His butt got on vent regardless and needless to say the guy never missed a raid. He knew the fights in advance well enough to need no verbal explanation. He put up good numbers and never once did we hear him complain (har har)!

We didn't think it would work out with how complex games are these days and how much coordination is involved, instead we were left wondering how "awesome" we really were after all and in a way he was lucky.. he didn't have to listen to that annoying raid leader!

Posted: Sep 14th 2011 3:27PM Seffrid said

• 1 heart
"Alganon is still a great free-to-play game"

When did Alganon become a great free-to-play game? I must have missed it. Is anyone else playing it yet, or just you Beau?

If these games are all as highly recommended as you say, then we could do with a bit more information about them. On the basis of what you've said thus far, if this is the best the world of free-to-play can offer this week then I'd hate to see the other stuff!

Good news about the Adroit tho'. It ought to get a separate article rather than being buried at the end of this frankly less than inspiring update.

Posted: Sep 14th 2011 3:53PM Arkanaloth said

No Vindictus?!?!?

Posted: Sep 14th 2011 4:04PM andyman54 said

@Arkanaloth Vindictus is boring sorry

Posted: Sep 14th 2011 4:17PM donweel said

We need Beau to remind us of some of these games. I forgot I started Illyriad, and it's been a while since I have been in Ryzom. I will have a look at Alganon, I think that is the one that people where saying was just a WoW copy but sounds like it has come into it's own so I will give it try.

Posted: Sep 14th 2011 5:00PM donweel said

On second thought I am going for Istaria, looks interesting and a litte different.

Posted: Sep 14th 2011 5:22PM Saker said

I tried having a look again at Istaria like 2 months ago, had horrible lag issues that made it completely unplayable for me. No idea why as generally speaking i have decent cable service and don't really ever see lag issues with other games.

Alganon... well I don't know... I definitely feel the same as others above have said about it's master... Had a quick look at it's website, did they hit the graphics with a ugly stick? Could have sworn it had better graphics in beta then what I'm seeing! They look like something from 5+ years ago...

Never heard of this Illyriad thing, have to look into that. Tried Starjack a few months ago during beta, couldn't make sense of it. Maybe it's got some tutorial now that actually gives you some sense of how to play the thing?

Posted: Sep 14th 2011 5:27PM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
Derek Smart is pretty hilarious.
He'd go on ridiculous rants on the Steam forums whenever anyone pointed out any flaw in All Aspect Warfare, that's pretty much my only experience with him though.

Posted: Sep 14th 2011 5:49PM Beau Hindman said

@(Unverified) Guys or gals: can we please stick to the topic at hand? I understand that some of you want to comment on Mr. Smart every time I mention a game of his (sort of like the NGE'ers in any SWG article) but please, just skip it.

If you want to talk about your experience with Alganon, go for it. But let's not drag it off topic every single time, essentially ignoring everything I have written. Anyway, it's all been said before.

Beau

Posted: Sep 14th 2011 7:43PM yeppers said

@(Unverified)

Not sure if your comment is meant as a negative or not. IMO at least he responds to his fans/critics and doesn't spout off the same ol' talking points every other public figure does. Refreshing whether you agree with him or not. He'll defend Alganon like any parent would defend their child.

Posted: Sep 14th 2011 8:39PM Jergis said

@Beau Hindman

Fair enough, but don't play naive here. You knew (or should have known) mentioning Alganon would garner this response.

Leaving behind Mr. Smart and his questionable community interaction strategy, you have Padreic and the rest of the team dedicated to the game.

Current equipment sets on Tribute are more effective than most casuals can get in-game, which (while not pay to win) can be disconcerting to casual PvP interests. Graphical issues remain (stuttering, collision issues, etc.) in a game with a population that often can be counted on one hand.

Servers are stable, *most* of the crew is friendly and helpful, but the 1-2 combination of bad launch (which Mr. Smart probably needs to take some of your advice Mr. Hindman and stop mentioning it every time someone talks to him about Alganon) + Smart drama (whether you like to talk about it or not) drove away most larger proponents of the game and their guilds. Combined with a model that is more freemium and less free to play, they have an uphill battle to stay afloat/recover.

Certainly, as with any game, try it yourself, see how you like it. There are a few recent posts on those 'other' forums recounting newer players impressions and decisions, can also look there for tips, more in-depth discussion of the game's issues, and a head's up on what to expect.

Jergis

Posted: Sep 15th 2011 1:13AM JuliusSeizure said

@Jergis

He's not playing naive. He's asking for it to stop, not expecting it to never have happened at all. There's no call for insulting like that.

Posted: Sep 15th 2011 10:21AM Jergis said

@JuliusSeizure

No insult here, just telling him he should have expected it.

Back on point, have you played Alganon, or any other games in the list above? What were your impressions of those games?

I play Alganon and log in about once a week. I play the free stuff only, and while i don't necessarily enjoy my time there i continue to log in to see what they fix and if the free portion will ever reach a stage that i am comfortable with playing on a regular basis.

Ryzom is probably my favorite on the list, i just don't have enough time to game enough these days it seems.

Jergis

Posted: Sep 14th 2011 5:49PM stamps79 said

Playing Dragon Nest, the game is very enjoyable.

Posted: Sep 14th 2011 7:10PM (Unverified) said

Say what you want about Derek Smart but he has put a lot of time and effort into Alganon. Many companies would have thrown in the towel, but not Derek. The game has continues to improve and it sounds like they have some a lot of exciting things coming in the future.

@donweel I would give both Istaria and Alganon a shot and decide for yourself if either one is for you.

Posted: Sep 14th 2011 11:37PM donweel said

@(Unverified)
Sure thing, why not try both.

Posted: Sep 15th 2011 2:16AM Khai mann said

As for me, I always wanted to give Alganon a try, even when it was P2P. I was very happy when they decided to go F2P.

Currently, I play EVE, EQ2 and AoC for free. All are great games that offer a lot of content an countless hours of fun. It is quite amazing that people will still complain even though you can play these games for free.

As for Beau's comment, I know how you feel. MMO gamers feel like the industry owes them something, that they have the RIGHT to say or do everything they wish and that the DEVS should just put up with it.

Sure, I was one of those "bitter vets" so I know how the MMO gamers feel when something doesn't go their way. But still, lets just give it a rest!!!

Posted: Sep 15th 2011 7:55PM (Unverified) said

I'm sure it's been said before, but I hate this linking to "tags" and not to the games website.

MMO Week in Review: It is your Destiny