Posted: Sep 14th 2011 2:41PM (Unverified) said

The game is doing some great things and there is no denying it's ability to keep up with the current giant in the industry. Honestly i'm a veteran of EQ and WoW and after going back to WoW from a year hiatus for a free 7 days then going back to RIFT for 5 (6 month birthday event) I would have to say RIFT easily impressed me more. It seemed every dungeon run I got into on WoW we went through 1-3 replacements because people just threw tantrums and left because of one wipe.

The community on RIFT is far superior for the simple fact they're just looking for fun, after dealing with both communities for a week each, I enjoy RIFT's community so much more, and when playing a game that you have to interact with a community on a day to day basis, I would say community counts for a lot. The biggest piece of the pie for me.

Posted: Sep 14th 2011 3:20PM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
@(Unverified)

Rift does have it's share of baddies though. And baddies in Rft seem to be even MORE unaware of the gravity of their badness than in WoW

Posted: Sep 14th 2011 3:40PM NeverDeath said

@(Unverified)

I think you've been running into some not-so-baddies in WoW, if you truly think that there is any way to be less effective/aware than some of the baddies I've met over the years.

Posted: Sep 14th 2011 2:46PM fallwind said

good summary of what is and isn't looking up in Rift.

Posted: Sep 14th 2011 3:01PM beqerel said

• 1 heart
after you lvl to 50 u have nothing to do in it , and it feels like single player online game , you cant find help for any quest that need more ppl.
i still have subs till october 10th but not playing since sept

Posted: Sep 14th 2011 7:50PM Faction 3 said

@Ren54

Uh-oh! Someone insulted or isn't enjoying RIFT...

REN TO THE RESCUE!!

Posted: Sep 14th 2011 8:57PM drunkingamebar said

@Faction 3 lol so true.

Posted: Sep 15th 2011 5:08AM Kraven said

@beqerel Nothing to do? You do all the Intances? T1, T2, Raid T1/T2? I doubt
You think is grind? Not if you enjoy the progress and help mates to equip and have fun with that
You are a rank 8? no way

You like quests, exploring worlds in leveling? make another characther (other side) or play other game. Example, you have Warhammer Online, you have 6 diferents paths to leveling in pve ... or why not .. play WOW at gap level?
You are a guildless and selfish? Yeah, this game has nothing for you, and playe please a Single player

Btw, you don¬ęt need to pay sub for a game only if you enjoy the leveling, you have ALOT of options in the f2p world

Posted: Sep 15th 2011 5:26AM beqerel said

@Kraven
i dont have full elite equipment but i have all from rift i can get
and i am in guild and they do only raids and its to repetitive .
i don't like grind , and there is a lot of when you r getting any kind of reward such is doing daily's all the time that looks like f2p game ,
btw i stopped play f2p-shops games
and even worse i need to do daily raid when i cant get enough ppl or to spam channels
any quest that i wanted to do via ingame party maker cant do any dungeon or 2/3 party quest , and all 50s in guild usually dont help

maybe its EU servers problem ,thats why i play LoL on US server with 200 ping

game is very polished but since all you can do is closing rifts to make more planarites , that they called dynamic universe

crafting is not usable at all i am 2 craft proff 300 and nothing i can make is good enough
or is too expensive

i will probably stay with moba games till 2012 since i dont like SW (and startrek is ruined by Cryptic --- they ruin every game or world known name and they want to do with NWN as well)

Posted: Sep 14th 2011 3:06PM (Unverified) said

I am glad to see RIFT is doing quite well. I strongly applaud their marketing department and their ability to sell their game is indeed one of the biggest reasons the game is currently a succes.

That said, I just ended my subscription because it simply does not have any more to offer to me that makes me want to replace World of Warcraft. I may be one of the few who still does enjoy my time in Azeroth when I do get to log on. I log on to RIFT and I don't even want to join a guild group.

The pace of updates did concern me a bit. I don't raid in RIFT and, every time new gear became available, it can then become "baseline" even to expert groups. "Oh he has none of the new craftable gear, he sucks".

All in all, it will be quite interesting to see what Trion does in the next few months.

Posted: Sep 14th 2011 3:12PM Caerus said

One of my dad's favorite stories is how back when New Coke was around, the local radio station had people calling in to voice their opinions. One guy said "I don't really like it - it's missing that great battery acid flavor!"

Posted: Sep 14th 2011 8:34PM ndessell said

@Caerus that is an epic jab at everyone

Posted: Sep 14th 2011 3:13PM (Unverified) said

Nice article. I left Wow a few months ago after playing many years and leveling 4 of my toons to 85. I lost my interest during cata like so many others. The constant class changes with the variations of difficulty levels got old. Wow's guild perks were poison to our small guild. I'm 3 months into Rift and I am still liking it. I enjoy playing with the community especially when running dungeons. I only have a couple hours a night to play and just want to get on, relax and enjoy my 2 hours of play time. As long as Rift doesn't continuously reset talent tree points and constant class tweaking then I'm happy.

Posted: Sep 14th 2011 3:15PM BigAndShiny said

I personally found that Rift did everything right, and yet It had no character. Great graphics, nice effects, good combat, no bugs or glitches, yet no real lore, no story, no character.

I get the feeling that the devs of AOC or Vanguard wanted to build amazing magical worlds of adventure, whereas Trion went "How can we statistically build an improved version of WoW" and just chucked in some substandard lore, world-design (The main city that is 'so massive' is a dome and 3 shacks) and questing experience.

Posted: Sep 14th 2011 3:16PM BigAndShiny said

@BigAndShiny
And yes, I know why the city is so small, but they could just have only let you explore a bit and used skyboxes like AOC or SWTOR

Posted: Sep 14th 2011 3:19PM (Unverified) said

@BigAndShiny

Dude rifts combat is stand still and mash your buttons. Same as every. other. mmo. ever. It's combat was terrible.

Posted: Sep 14th 2011 4:01PM hereafter said

@BigAndShiny

That's basically how I've felt about it. I'm currently subbed because my whims are unpredictable, but that;s my biggest critique. It's like they had a checklist of features they wanted and built just enough of a world for those features to fit in, but not quite enough to inspire.

Posted: Sep 14th 2011 3:16PM (Unverified) said

I think it would be foolish to believe that just becauses Rifts subs have been going up over a period of time where its really been the only "new" sub based mmorpg, would mean that it is in a position to survive the competition when it hits the market.

A lot (not all) of people are subbing to Rift right now simply because there is nothing else even semi new TO subscribe to. Older successful games are now boring and worn out, and Rift has been the only real option for many gamers looking for a sub based game. This doesnt mean that Rift is amazing, or horrible. It just means that it was really the only option. As soon as more options are available for players, then we will really see how well Rift holds up, and if it was just a "time killer" or something that actually brought something lasting and unique to the playing field.

Posted: Sep 14th 2011 3:18PM (Unverified) said

@(Unverified)

That's exactly why I played it. It was entertaining for about a month and a half, then it got terribly redundant.

Posted: Sep 14th 2011 5:13PM (Unverified) said

@(Unverified)

At this point in Rift's life, I think you're wrong. I would have agreed with you at release, but I'm playing on Deepstrike, one of, if not the most, populated servers for that game. We get a decent amount of returning or new players everyday, and I talk to at least one of'em to keep up to date on the community (and to help them find guilds). I have not ONCE, in the past month, found a new or returning player that's looking at jumping ship once TOR comes out aside from my guildies. Granted, GW2 of TSW come up once in awhile, but those are looking to do things a bit more differently than WoW/Rift/TOR. I think for the next few months, Rift is going to be fine, and in terms of % of players leaving, may even be better off than WoW, where people are coming in with "recruit a friend," blasting through levels, and saying "I'm bored, call me when TOR's out."

The Think Tank: Thoughts on PAX East 2014