Posted: Sep 13th 2011 10:22PM drunkingamebar said

The number of American's playing Russian MMO's as male characters will rise 48%, and the amount spent on P2W increases 500%.

Posted: Sep 13th 2011 10:28PM Valentina said

Which MMO's are Russian?

Posted: Sep 13th 2011 11:28PM (Unverified) said

@Valentina The only exported one I know of Allods Online, though there are (I assume) other games that just haven't been ported over.

Posted: Sep 13th 2011 11:31PM (Unverified) said

@Valentina

Allods Online, Elements of War, and World of Tanks (Planes/Battleships/War Planes...) are the ones I know of. I'm sure there are a lot more but I think those will be the most recognizable in the West.

Posted: Sep 14th 2011 1:10AM (Unverified) said

@Valentina
There are few Russia-only MMO like Сфера / Сфера 2: Арена

Posted: Sep 14th 2011 1:26AM truthlesshero said

@(Unverified)

LoTRO is also ported over there and if you look at the 'player photos' section, that male/female ratio survey in the article seems pretty accurate. I'm impressed.

Posted: Sep 13th 2011 11:37PM Valentina said

Cool, Allods was/is such a cool concept...

Posted: Sep 14th 2011 5:01AM angryhoar said

@Valentina I agree! Very creative and atmospheric. I would love to see them Russians launch a triple A title.

Posted: Sep 14th 2011 1:49AM eLdritchZ said

well as long as they get their own servers and I don't have to share with another bunch that refuses to speak english, I'm fine with it ;)

Posted: Sep 14th 2011 5:01AM Scrobes said

@eLdritchZ

Just like you refuse to speak Russian? :)

Posted: Sep 14th 2011 7:04AM Gaugamela said

@Scrobes

He doesn't needs to speak Russian in servers where the defined language is english you jackass.
And I am portuguese. I just get really pissed of with people that speak in different languages in the general chat in international servers.

Posted: Sep 14th 2011 7:19AM smartstep said

Well , good for Russia and overall market.

Anyway whole gaming market in Russia , and central & eastern europe (including EU countires like Poland , Czech Rep, etc) and non-EU countiries like Ukraine , shows that even in markets with higher (sometimes much higher) piracy than in NA&EU , game companies can earn alot of money.

There is one condition though. As people in those counties still have much less income (when converting to $ for example) , you have to offer games for lower prices.

Good priced games can sell in hundreads of thousands of copies sometimes in Russia alone. F.e. Witcher 1 sold I believe like 200-300 k of copies in Russia alone , think The Witcher 2 sold even more (havent saw data yet though).

I am from Poland , and there are games that sell alot of copies here, as long as they are not overpriced. (some bad publishers tend to release badly translated , badly supported games with prices as high like in richer counties and then they they fail).

Just have to think cleverly and there is alot of money to make :)

Well anyway I am happy if Russian mmo market is doing ok !

Imho EU market would be much better if game companies end with horrible practice of selling games / subscription 1S = 1euro / pound conversion. Set a 1 euro = 1,2 $ which and I guarantee higher sales. even though normal conversion is 1,4 atm.

I understand conversion risks ,etc It is all understandable , BUT euro has been stronger currency shortly after euro was made and it NEVER was weaker than dolar, it is already long years and it does not look like it is going to change.

Really when I see myself trying to get nickle&dimed when game in EU cost 60 euro when in US it cost 60$ , I am angry even though it is standard and I spend more money or non-gaming things.

I know that Aussie guys have it even worse , that REALLY have to change fast , if game companies want to have dynamic growth of EU market again anytime soon.

Posted: Sep 14th 2011 7:24AM smartstep said

@smartstep

one more thing. I understand to have game more costly by 10% to avoid currency exchange fluctuations change and other costs.

But nowadays it is like 40% + more expensive and this has to end.

I am supporting game devopers and publishers than understand this and offer fairer prices . There are some that do (like CDProject on many games since they are biggest publisher in Poland and one of biggest in central Europe ).

Posted: Sep 14th 2011 11:43AM nimzy said

In many ways, the Russian market is far better than China's.

And that's after you take away the restrictions of doing business in China: Requiring a local company to serve as your partner and handing over all the trade secrets that go with your products.

Posted: Sep 14th 2011 12:26PM Daemodand said

In Soviet Russia, mobs grind you!