Posted: Sep 13th 2011 8:34PM SwarlesBarkley said

There was a poll I looked at two weeks ago and Smuggler was near or at the very bottom. After the video Friday I believe that has changed. My opinion about the smuggler changed as well. Not sure I will be rolling one, but with them being a utility class I just might. I enjoy the Captain on Lotro and so far I think this class might be something along those lines, not quite the same, but its always nice to be able to do different roles.

Posted: Sep 13th 2011 8:50PM Mikx said

"and my favorite (which I believe to be called Dirty Kick), gave a swift kick to a sensitive area"

Yes, this ability is awesome, it really highlights the flavor of the class.

I assume it will also be abused in pvp situations, but I wonder what happens if you deal a dirty kick to a female character. Does it hit the same area? Does she respond with the same crippled over animation? Does it have the same gameplay effect?

As absurd as it is, i hope its exactly the same. The only thing funnier than the kick would be female characters reacting the same way men do. May every smuggler be a Bobby Hill, and let there be no Peggy Hills in star wars.

This is one of the only classes that appeals to me, (aside from the sith counterpart in the Agent, and maybe the consular for the old school jedi feel, but we need to see more interesting force/caster dps abilities for the consular), and the smuggler actually lets you be an alien, with the Twilek. If they let in Consular Twi'leks, I'd probably be sold on that class.

Posted: Sep 13th 2011 9:10PM Endrek03 said

@Mikx Kicking a woman down there still hurts a lot, probably enough to make them react the same as a man. Granted, a man WOULD hurt more down there after being kicked, but you're still kicking a sensitive area with an overabundance of force.

Posted: Sep 14th 2011 4:20AM mysecretid said

@Endrek03

This.

I saw a woman get booted in the lady bits once (by another woman), and the effects were effectively identical to what you'd see with a man. There's no appreciable difference -- even the (ahem) "animations" play out the same.

Posted: Sep 14th 2011 9:37AM KvanCetre said

@mysecretid
But what about droids? ;)

Posted: Sep 14th 2011 1:51PM (Unverified) said

@KvanCetre I imagine some NPCs will be invulnerable to the attack.

At least I hope that's a mechanism in the game as you can choose to play as a species who are entirly blind and only "see" by use of the force. It's going to be awkward for them to balance blinding powers in PvP.

Posted: Sep 13th 2011 10:26PM JonBuck said

I've wanted to play Smuggler ever since I saw the gunslinger in the opening cinematic they published a few months back. Who needs a lightsaber? :)

Posted: Sep 14th 2011 4:23AM mysecretid said

I'm curious if I'm the only one who has no interest in playing a Smuggler who heals?

Not saying it's a bad design call, only that the feel isn't iconic enough for me to want to bother with it.

Posted: Sep 14th 2011 10:18AM (Unverified) said

@mysecretid

I also dont want to play a healing smuggler, but I also want to see what all the abilities are down that tree. The progression video suggests combat rez and a group stealth, which could set up some awesome gank situations in pvp

Posted: Sep 14th 2011 1:04PM epilepticemu said

@mysecretid I actually DO want to play a healing smuggler. I'd love the combination of crowd control and healing. Sure they can heal less than a consular, but they also stun one enemy out of a fight, which would equate to the same damage mitigation.

My only concern is that there's some way to help avoid the "breaks on damage" crowd control problem. Too often it's too hard to get your team to play along...

Posted: Sep 14th 2011 2:35PM Space Cobra said

@mysecretid

I am only slightly torn between Gunslinger and Scoundrel in mostly fashion-sense, clothing. I do like the gunslinger, but I also like the Han Solo/Lando type of wear that Scoundrels seem to have. I'd kinda like to be a Gunfighter dressed as Han. :p

As for abilities, well, I tend to favor DPS, but I also like self-healing and maybe some lite buffing of party members (or myself). Basically, think "Warrior Priest" or "Discipline of Khaine". I seem to favor this off-tank style that heals themselves (rather than rely on masses of armor plate). So, that's a possibility...if the game allows such play.

Heck, I may even play 2 smugglers to try out both versions. :P

Posted: Sep 14th 2011 9:58AM heerobya said

I like having the option to heal, good utility, but I just hope you can be a utility filled smuggler who can heal that doesn't take 97 minutes to kill a single mob when you're out soloing and/or doing class quests alone etc.

Posted: Sep 14th 2011 10:17AM (Unverified) said

@heerobya

They said that if you did choose a healing route on any character, that your heals and buffs would make your companion fight harder. So instead of 97 minutes, it would only take 72 minutes :P

It was a long time ago that I read that though...things may have changed

Posted: Sep 14th 2011 10:22AM AceSteveC said

@heerobya

Just bring along your DPS crew member and you'll be fine :)

MMO Week in Review: Are you Elite or Dangerous?

Posted on Dec 21st 2014 8:00PM