Posted: Sep 12th 2011 2:21PM nightsong89 said

"This is an entire race of mad scientists hell-bent on world domination, and designing their material culture is as daunting and subtle as a finger on a missile switch."

Ha! I knew it, you can never trust the Asura. I find it hilarious that they compare the design of the Asura race to that of almost launching missiles.

Posted: Sep 12th 2011 2:49PM Sunlover said

@nightsong89

And I find this to be very fitting, especially after playing Eye of the North and hearing Vekk's voice for the first time. I immediately identified it as Brain, from Animaniac's and Pinky and the Brain, who was voiced by the talented Maurice LaMarche.

Brain's Orson Welles-like personality and constant yelling of the phrase, "Things will be different when I take over the world!" are no coincidence. Arenanet knew exactly what images and ideas they wanted the Asura to conjure up when you first saw and heard one of them. Everything from the design of their bodies (the small stature with huge head and the large, rodent-like ears) to their clever use of acronyms (Brains name was an acronym for "Biological Recombinant Algorithmic Intelligence Nexus") seems to be a reference to the mini-mad scientist I enjoyed watching on television when I was young.

Or at least that's how I see it =) And I can't wait to see more.

Posted: Sep 12th 2011 3:15PM nightsong89 said

@Sunlover

Yea I totally agree. Another quote that sums them up that makes me really want to play the Asura is their outlook on other races: "Shut your talk-hole, bookah. Every time you open it, you drip stupid all over my floor." They feel they are superior to everyone intellectually and it leads into great role playing options for players.

Posted: Sep 12th 2011 2:26PM DevilSei said

You know, there is one line in that blog post that I just can't agree with!

"Nobody is prepared for the Asura except the Asura"
It should read:
"Nobody is prepared for the Asura, not even the Asura"

I mean come on, how many "apprentices" get killed off for some of the scientists? If I were one of them, the first thing I'd do is have a golem between me and whatever the scientist I'm working under is doing...

Posted: Sep 12th 2011 2:33PM nightsong89 said

@DevilSei

It's why most Asura use bookahs in their experiments. Must safer than sacrificing one of their own to further their insane projects.

Posted: Sep 12th 2011 2:32PM toychristopher said

Ugh this is slow torture. ArenaNet is torturing me.

Posted: Sep 12th 2011 3:37PM Superjudge said

Day one of Asura week seemed a little bit thin until I watched the video. It wasn't so much that he was creating an Asura as it was the process of the creation itself. I've fleshed out artwork that I draw with other types of media in Photoshop. The end result generally comes out looking descent but it is nothing compared with what Mr. Barrett created in that video. I just can't seem to get the creation aspect down like that from blank canvas to rough drawing to finished realistic image.

Mr. Barrett made it look effortless. All while using just one layer and no effects, styles or anything else. Simply amazing!

Posted: Sep 12th 2011 4:13PM dudes said

RELEASE DATE! AAARRRGGGGH! Cool week anyway. :D

Posted: Sep 12th 2011 5:43PM Nepentheia said

Gawd, ArenaNet's marketing is brilliant...

So subtle in the way they lure you in with a low-key "behind the scenes" video while playing the soundtrack from the game in the background...

...and all you're left with is this intense antsy feeling as you scream at the monitor, "ARRGGG!!! WHEN DOES THIS GAME FRICKIN' LAUNCH?!?!?!11?!?!?!"

Posted: Sep 12th 2011 5:50PM Lenn said

@Nepentheia That's exactly where the Asura want to have you: curled up on the floor, foetus style, drooling like an idiot and stammering "release date, release date". The last thing you see is the battle golem's foot stomping down on you.

I know. I'm in that place, too.