Posted: Sep 12th 2011 7:30PM Aqualis said

I am sad to say that you all did not spend enough time learning how it all works or the fact that all the players are waiting for the big September Update that is coming this week most likely and will combine the ladders and add the other game modes to the tournament and ladder play as well.

In addition to this, you all seem to think the controls are tricky? There are not many abilities and with all the bloodlines, most do the same type of thing. Basic attack, jump, self defense of some kind. Only a few are really that different in basic function...though they do all act different.

Add to this the fact that you do not have to mash keys or keep pushing them to use them. Just hold the key down you play to use next and as soon as it is off cooldown it will activate. No need to watch your cooldowns to see when you can use it. Need to jump and are chasing it is almost out of cooldown...then hold it while chasing. It will activate when ready.

There is more, but you all need to re-look at how the controls work and revisit the game after this September Update. Odd you chose to try it right before the huge update.

Posted: Sep 12th 2011 7:51PM QSpec said

I agree with Aqualis. I hope you three give it more time... in fact, I would say that without playing it a week straight or longer you have barely scratched the surface.

There is a learning curve, no doubt. But the cooldowns I think are well balanced. They are just long enough to prevent you as the Igniter from using your movement skill both offensively and defensively. The cooldowns are just long enough, not to be annoying, but to force decisions. Do I shield now or can I get away? Should I fly in and attack or save it for when someone comes running for me. I can stun the tank, but is that worth my time? Decisions like those.

Seriously, I encourage everyone to try the game and stick with it. It is excellent. My only concern is for its longevity.

Hopefully the Sept. update will fix the U.S. queue times, and hopefully the community will return en masse.

Posted: Sep 12th 2011 9:20PM Brendan Drain said

@QSpec Bear in mind that this is not a review, it's a first impression opinion piece and so will always focus on the start of the game and how easy it is to get into. I'm personally very impressed by the game considering it's coming from a small indie studio, and it certainly has that itch factor that makes me want to go back for another match. But ultimately the learning curve (between basic gameplay and being able to play a bloodline well) is what most people will encounter and some will never get past it.

The biggest problem with Bloodline Champions is just that it's not as popular as it should be. If there were more people playing the game, it would definitely be a lot better in competitive circles. I'll be heading back to play it again once the patch hits, and will continue to cover the BLC news in Not So Massively with interest.

Posted: Sep 12th 2011 7:52PM QSpec said

Oh, I would also like to add that if you would like an opponent, I am sure there are at least 3 of us that read Massively that would be happy to give you a game.
I am not very good if that is any incentive.

Posted: Sep 12th 2011 8:16PM Germaximus said

The game is amazing. I'm truly surprised it isnt far more popular than it has been.

Posted: Sep 12th 2011 8:17PM (Unverified) said

...Really?
I had the exact opposite experience, I found it ridiculously easy to get into but found that it might be TOO simple, there are a lot of abilities which do pretty much the same thing across bloodlines (Space is almost always a pursuit or escape skill, for example).
I haven't even really played for that long, maybe a few hours.
And I can always get a game but I can't play for longer than short bursts before getting bored, it's fun during those short bursts though.

Posted: Sep 12th 2011 8:49PM QSpec said

@(Unverified) They are organized like that, yeah.
M1 - Primary attack
M2 - Secondary attack/heal
Space - Travel skill
R - defensive
Q - often CC
E - whatever
There are exceptions to this. The trick is in knowing when and how to use them all. I can see the game being easy, but if you get into a few games where people know what they are doing, they can easily punish you for mistakes. Maybe you aren't as accurate with your heals (they decrease in effectiveness farther from the center). Maybe you popped your travel needlessly. Maybe your shield is on CD. The learning curve is knowing all of this, for all of the characters and being able to capitalize it.

Posted: Sep 12th 2011 9:01PM Valius said

You guys are playing Bloodline Champions right? Sounds like somthing completely different, it has a learning curve but not very significant. Also EU que is busy.

Posted: Sep 12th 2011 9:16PM QSpec said

I think it can be quite significant. The gap between good players and bad players is quite large.

And yeah, the EU queue is busy, but that isn't something that is advertised for most new players. It took me quite a few nights of being completely frustrated with the NA queue to figure that out.

Further, the ping because of that can get out of hand on occasion depending on a variety of factors.

Posted: Sep 12th 2011 9:17PM QSpec said

Haha, I am posting a lot, but this game is one I feel passionately about. I hope they make despite the mistakes of the developers et al.

Posted: Sep 12th 2011 9:19PM Bartlebe said

Unpopular for a reason.

Posted: Sep 12th 2011 9:35PM Plastic said

Steep learning curve? I don't know, I'm pretty slow and it only took me about 2-3 matches to familiarize myself with the available skills. Something tells me you three were on the drink while "testing". ;-)

During beta I fell in love with this game, but after it launched I mysteriously went from always being able to find a match to wondering where the hell everyone went. Someone explained to me that they had changed the way you join matches, so I was able to find a few after going about it differently, but I eventually abandoned the game anyway after swearing off of Funcom for life. =p

Posted: Sep 12th 2011 10:23PM h4ngedm4n said

I enjoy this game, but yeah it needs more people. Its one of the nicer anti-progression online games available. With that said, it is indeed frustrating to find enough people to play matches with. Often the people online are spread out over too many grades to want to play one another.

Also the upfront cost for the full game is way too high, I think that deters a lot of players psychologically.

Also this game is yet another example of a skill based game, being less popular than the progression-driven games preferred by the masses.

Posted: Sep 13th 2011 2:52AM eLdritchZ said

don't take this the wrong way but maybe the game is too european for you?

F.E. games like Halo and CoD have huge "competitive" scenes in the US but are more of a second rate title over here.. CS and Quake however, with their focus on raw gameplay and less flashy BS are still really big in europe and pretty much dead in the US.

Similarly BLC is not so much about flashy effects and accessability but more about balanced combat and competitive potential... Of course I'm just speculating here but then again, the EU queue is chock full of people during peak hours and reasonably full during the rest of the day...

Posted: Sep 13th 2011 4:11AM Ecto said

To be honest, I think the biggest issue BLC has is the blood coin cost to unlock new bloodlines. If you don't actually purchase one of the game packs and want to play for free, it's going to take forever to unlock even a couple of different bloodlines permanently. In the amount of time it takes to get enough blood coins for a new bloodline in BLC, someone could unlock 5-6 new champions in League of Legends, for example (and no, I'm not talking about the 450 ones).

The reason for this however is obvious. It's because Funcom doesn't really want you to be able to play for free and they want you to buy their Funcom Points or one of the game packs. Unlocking a new bloodline with FP is quick and easy, unlocking a new bloodline with BC is beyond slow.

I know Stunlock Studios is the developer, but it's clear that Funcom is pulling the strings and they need to take a lesson from Riot and rethink what they nickle and dime their players for.

Posted: Sep 13th 2011 6:12AM Droniac said

My impressions of the game somehow don't quite coincide with yours.

For one, Bloodline Champions isn't the ghost town you're making it out to be. There are near-daily 2v2/3v3 tournaments with dozens of teams participating (total of 52000 participants thus far) and there are always plenty of people in solo queue and 2v2. Right now 3v3 is kind of empty, but that should swing back up when the patch hits. Here's an example: at 11:00 CEST there were 200 players online, 60 in solo queue, 6 active 2v2 teams, and 52 active games. That's plenty if you're looking for some action, and at nights the numbers are much, much, higher.

Secondly the learning curve is actually much lower than you're all making it out to be. In fact, I'd say BLC is the most accessible MOBA game to date. There are two reasons why I say this:
1. Once you've learned how to play a single bloodline, which doesn't take much more than 2 or 3 matches, you can play any other bloodline competently.
2. There are no item purchasing or ability leveling mechanics that form the main barriers of entry for every single other MOBA game out there.

As to why you're able to play every bloodline competently after knowing how to play with only a single one: the skill loadouts are (nearly) identical every time. Space is always a travel skill, left mouse is always a spammy melee attack, right mouse is always a basic ranged attack, and so on. And this is clearly explained in the tutorial. A game like LoL doesn't have this consistency, for example, Leona and Lux have stuns/snares on Q, but Sona on R, Irelia on E, and Caitlyn on W.

Lastly, the cooldown system in BLC is only a problem if you're trying to play it like an action (MMO)RPG. You're not supposed to spam abilities, but to think about when to use an ability at the right time. The cooldown system is an effective method of enforcing such intelligent play. BLC's gameplay would be ruined if the cooldowns were lowered, because that would make it a game of spam instead of a game of skill. The cooldowns may take some getting used to if you approach BLC with the wrong mindset, but it works very well and makes for a much more interesting competitive game.