Posted: Sep 12th 2011 8:13PM DevilSei said

Uggh... please don't remind me of DQ10! It should of been a straight sequel to 8, but instead from what early sources have said the game forces you online after 3hrs of an offline "tutorial" of sorts, just to continue with the story and even if you use NPC allies...

As for D3 and its competition? D3 still hasn't done too much to really win me over with its online-only gameplay either, so I still consider Torchlight 2 its major threat for that simple point (as well as for price). Though Path of Exile has always kept me interested, even when I first saw it on an article for Joystiq a long while back.

Posted: Sep 12th 2011 8:28PM Faction 3 said

@DevilSei

I gotta agree with you Dev, D3, although looking great and all, has'nt really swayed me in its general direction, the RMT Trade thing, the Crafting, etc, hasn't done it for me, especially with PoE on the same release horizon. Im definately going for one of the 2 games, but I'll probably hit PoE first, then if it dont hold me, I'll get D3 for my Birthday in April, if its out by then.

As long as its been since I played WoW (July '09), I definately still have full confidence in Blizzard to make a killer game with D3, but SO FAR, I have'nt seen or heard anything to tell me they still have the same touch as they had back in the D2: LoD days besides some Online, real-money trade thing, and a crafting mechanic.

But then again, I obviously have'nt played D3, so I could be wrong completely.

Posted: Sep 13th 2011 4:43AM Ecto said

@Faction 3

I have to disagree with both of you. I think the RMT Auction House was a great idea. People would have been selling items etc. for real money anyway, the only difference now is it will be done in a safe, controlled manner rather than on some sketchy third-party website that steals the "customers" credit card info. Not to mention, I was going to be playing a lot of D3 anyway, so now I might make some money while I'm at it!

I also think the whole online only thing is fine as well. If we're being honest here, the fun in D2 mainly came from online play, not single player. Even then, if you really wanted to play single player, you just made a private game on bnet.

As for Path of Exile being competition for Diablo 3, I don't see it. Don't get me wrong, PoE looks decent and all but Diablo 2 is probably my favorite game of all time and Blizzard, despite what a lot of haters on here will say, has yet to do wrong by me. I have full confidence I'll be playing Diablo 3 for a long time.

I could see some people choosing Torchlight 2 over Diablo 3, but for myself and my circle of friends, it's still no competition, even though we enjoyed Torchlight quite a bit. It's just not Diablo.

Posted: Sep 13th 2011 12:22PM DevilSei said

@Ecto
And I'll have to be honest here and say that, for me, the fun wasn't in the multiplayer. I enjoyed playing the game how I wanted so I played Single Player mainly. I wasn't looking to try and progress through the game just to grind out hard-mode this and hell difficulty that. So, at the time, connecting to AOL just to play online to do that would be pointless.

And to connect to Battle.net through AOL (dial up) just to play the game on my own? It would be downright stupid. So no, I didn't get my enjoyment from online, and if I wanted to play single-player I actually played single player. This forced online is doing nothing for the game at all.

Posted: Sep 13th 2011 2:31PM OutThere said

@Ecto

D3 isn't going to be Diablo, either. From what I've seen of the gameplay videos, D3 is some other game. Doesn't mean it won't be fun, but it won't be Diablo. Path of Exile on the other hand has the right look and feel to it.

Posted: Sep 12th 2011 8:35PM Wisdomandlore said

DQX being online isn't a huge surprise. Yuji Hori has said for years that he wanted to make an online DQ. And after DQIX had such a strong multiplayer element that it seemed to signal the possibility. I do wish it were a spinoff instead of a main entry to the series. This is the same mistake SE made with FFXI/XIV.

The subscription fee news is mind-boggling, though. It's not a full-fledged MMO but I'm going to pay a sub fee? We'll have to see what kind of features it will offer.

I do wish Level 5 were developing it instead of SE. Level 5 developed the DQVIII and IX, and if they had a crack at X, we might see what True Fantasy Live would have looked like. But then again Level 5's White Knight Chronicles (another RPG with a strong multiplayer element) wasn't a big hit, so maybe not.

Posted: Sep 12th 2011 9:05PM (Unverified) said

@Wisdomandlore

I'm hoping, like Monster Hunter Tri, the subscription is Japan only... All these details are so far Japan so it's hard to guess on anything being different or what not... I also don't think we'll see this in the US til 2013, and by then they'll make a WiiU only US release... Dragon quest 8/9 both saw year localization processes and I can't expect it to be any less with this one.

I will be picking it up on day 1 no matter what... DQ games always have a spot waiting on my shelf.

Posted: Sep 12th 2011 10:14PM DevilSei said

@Wisdomandlore

Honestly, I didn't like DQ9's version of online play. We aren't Japan, all those fancy convention-only maps won't be seen more than a state or two at most away from where they were held, and the tag system required to unlock expansions in your Inn are darn near impossible to get unless you game the system by using a couple of extra copies of the game.

And as of right now, DQ10 is Japan only, hence why the talk about sub fees and everything. The game has been rumored to be in development for 6 years now, and as of yet no mention of US/EU release (though it will probably happen).

Honestly my biggest issue right now with it is the online connectivity being required. I don't know about the WiiU, but the Wii's online is abysmal. If a particularly laggy individual were to get the "host" on a monster you are fighting, good luck trying to hit it. One minute that Uragaan is in perfect position for a super-pound, next he's warped to your side and rolling towards you.
Hopefully SE is investing in some actual servers to connect to for this outing though, and keep the original team for FF14 as far away from it as possible.

Posted: Sep 12th 2011 8:36PM (Unverified) said

Good, bad, or indifferent, D3 is the known commodity in the list, and is going to crush it on release.
Battlechest is still selling today in decent numbers, why would D3 be any different?
And honestly, I'll be picking it up - way too much sentimentality from this old fool to miss the next installment, and as much as I want to hate on the big boy, Bliz can deliver.
Now if Ironlore could be brought back to life for Titan Quest 2....

Posted: Sep 13th 2011 9:36AM ApathyCurve said

@(Unverified)

"Now if Ironlore could be brought back to life for Titan Quest 2.... "

Here ya go: http://www.grimdawn.com/

Same folks, darker tapestry.

Posted: Sep 12th 2011 9:11PM Saker said

Path of Exile looks good!

Posted: Sep 12th 2011 9:15PM EyezRed said

Lol. It's Diablo... There is no competition. Why would I want to play an impostor?? There have been a few games that were decent at trying to corner the creepy dungeon crawl that is Diablo. There have been no successes. All the ppl who disagree are usually the ppl who don't tend to like them games anyway for one reason or another. I, for one, will be pre-ordering this and getting it on launch (beta too if possible).

Posted: Sep 13th 2011 2:58AM eLdritchZ said

@EyezRed actually, Diablo III is the impostor, since all the people who originally made Diablo and Diablo II now work on Path of Exile and Torchlight 2 ;) and tbh - Path of Exile looks a lot more like a worthy successor to Diablo II than Diablo III.

Might wanna give it a chance before you go buy the next iphone because it's the "best" phone on the market ;P

Posted: Sep 13th 2011 3:07AM Germaximus said

@EyezRed yup

Posted: Sep 13th 2011 9:48AM EyezRed said

@eLdritchZ

I stand by what I said. Torchlight will never have the fan base that D2 had. While I think its ok. The story was epic, and had all the grim evil I love. Also I'm sure that there is some of the origional ppl making D3 that made d2/d1

Posted: Sep 12th 2011 10:07PM winterborn said

I dont know one person even thinking about supporting this P2W game.
Too many other good games to play.

Posted: Sep 13th 2011 3:08PM Atrophex said

@winterborn what P2W title are you talking about?

Posted: Sep 12th 2011 10:20PM Valkesh said

Path of Exile, for me, is everything Diablo 3 should have been, and would have been if Blizzard had any creativity or balls left.

Posted: Sep 12th 2011 10:29PM Bhima said

Wait What??? How do you write a story about Diablo 3 competition and NOT include Torchlight 2??

Posted: Sep 12th 2011 10:46PM DevilSei said

@Bhima

To be fair, Torchlight 2 isn't out or anything yet so you can't really write much on it besides what Joystiq and others have covered. Specially for the kind of article this is.

One Shots: Hello, autumn