Posted: Sep 12th 2011 6:02PM Jstaw said

This is actually a lot like the mission system in old FoM. It seems like all they're doing is getting rid of the stuff that ruined the game in the first place.

Posted: Sep 12th 2011 6:18PM tavtav said

How is the community in this game? I'm tempted to try it, but in a title like that the people playing it are especially crucial to the user's experience.

Posted: Sep 13th 2011 1:26AM Jstaw said

@tavtav Yeah about that...you'll need a thick skin to survive this game. Mostly made up of the sort of people who can be online 7-12 hrs a day. You'll find good clicks here and there, the Guardians of Mankind are very player friendly but for most most part expect people to be total dicks.

Posted: Sep 13th 2011 3:24AM mysecretid said

@tavtav

The Guardians of Mankind (i.e. "the diplomatic faction") was the faction I finally settled on when I played FoM, and they were good people, as Jstaw says.

See, the thing is, tavtav, in Face of Mankind your faction is essentially a guild that you automatically join when you pick that faction.

If the players running your faction actually care about the faction, and actually care about playing it in the role set out for it by the game, then chances are you'll have a good time.

When I played the Guardians faction, the faction leaders were very good about keeping things friendly in-faction. Dickery was discouraged.

The faction leaders also played the diplomatic role of the faction in the game at large. Sure, there were battles (it's that kind of game world) but we also had basic treaties, and other diplomatic encounters, with certain factions as well.

When a member of another faction kept stealth ganking players inside our borders, the leadership sent out teams to capture the offender, and then he was marched him back to his own faction gate.

Then, our leaders contacted the other faction's leaders, reminded them of our treaties, and left the captive for /his/ leaders to discipline. Faction light-roleplay fueling action. Fun for all.

The biggest problem with Face of Mankind (at least when I played) is that too many factions don't play to their special role in the game lore.

When I played, the Military faction were merely barely-led anarchist killers; the Police faction was similar, and they were also horribly corrupt, abusing their special police powers to fuel gankery, and so on.

There /are/ "crazy anarchist ganker outlaw" type factions built into Face of Mankind, but when roughly half of the game's faction also followed this gameplay type, ignoring the uniqueness of what their faction was designed to be, it sucked a lot of the fun and variety out of the game for me.

It was also interesting how /many/ new players would initially join the Police or Military factions, only to quit when they discovered the factions weren't being run or played as described.

I liked FoM, tavtav, but I eventually quit because too often, anything outside of my Guardians of Mankind faction just felt like the same free-for-all PvP I could get in a dozen other games.

That said, I haven't played FoM in a while. Maybe stick your head in, and decide what /you/ think? If the Guardians of Mankind are still a good faction, as Jstaw says, you might want to start there.

Cheers,