Posted: Sep 12th 2011 12:37PM Space Cobra said

I really don't know what Bigpoint's strategy is at this point in time; buying a studio that specializes in consoles? Perhaps they want to move beyond browser-based gaming? Sure, you can put those devs to work at another browser-based game, but we have really yet to see an explosion from what Bigpoint has gobbled up or will gobble up: Where's the games, browser or otherwise?

Really, at this point, they may be growing and "boast" 5 million registered users (active and not) but I wonder about their long-term strategy and how profitable they will remain, now and in the immediate future.

Posted: Sep 12th 2011 1:17PM DevilSei said

Best known or "only game we've ever made"?

I was wondering why I never heard of the studio, and now I know why. Nothing I can find about the studio, but their publisher is EU only, and apparently just that, with a majority of games sounding more like the casual division of Ubisoft (Imagine! and the like).

And unless Bigpoint is planning on trying to release some generic sports title to consoles (which they shouldn't, they'll be wiped off the face of the earth by other games). More likely though it seems, they're probably tagging them for a Browser-based "Olympics" game... in which case they aren't going to do well again, because I've seen other games that are more likely better.

I'm not really much of a sports gamer though so... eh.

Posted: Sep 12th 2011 2:10PM Daemodand said

Well, selling in game advantages is at least appropriate to the sports genre. Sports work just like that IRL.

Posted: Sep 12th 2011 5:15PM SnarlingWolf said

I think you could have at least done a catchy article with this one.

Bigpoint Blitzkrieg
Corruption of Good Development Spreads as Bigpoint Buys out studio.
Sports Souls Sucked

Anything to highlight how awful it is for a company who's goal is to make money by directly selling in-game advantages to get any bigger. Shame on anyone who supports that ideal with their wallets.

Posted: Sep 12th 2011 8:59PM drunkingamebar said

If there is any company I'd loved to see fail, it's Bigpoint.

Make My MMO: August 24 - August 30, 2014

Posted on Aug 30th 2014 6:00PM

PAX Prime 2014: ArcheAge is a go for launch!

Posted on Aug 30th 2014 5:00PM