Posted: Sep 12th 2011 11:56AM hami83 said

It's so sad that American leaders, and people, don't care to give Nasa the money to fund what I feel is the future of mankind, but will blow trillions of dollars on the stock market, which is essentially just the perceived value of companies, and wars.

Not like my country (Canada) is any better.

What a pathetic species.

Posted: Sep 12th 2011 12:41PM Space Cobra said

@hami83

It's a tad more complicated than that, but on the outside-looking-in, I admit it should look better: I know some people that got laid off after the shuttle got nixed.

I don't hear too much from the International space-station and other countries, either, in regards to more space usage/exploration.

Posted: Sep 12th 2011 12:44PM yeppers said

@hami83

I heard it costs something like $1B (USD) for each shuttle trip. What do we really have to show for it besides a mothballed shuttle fleet and a failing space station.

If we had focused on unmanned missions using robotics, we'd probably have a base set up on Mars and rovers on Saturn's moons by now.

Posted: Sep 12th 2011 12:48PM ephesym said

@Space Cobra

It's really not that complicated. NASA gets .005% of the national budget. The cost of the 'War on Terror' has cost more than the money NASA has received throughout its entire existence. I agree completely with hami83, humans are so concerned about material gain they fail to see past their own noses.

Posted: Sep 12th 2011 1:00PM Space Cobra said

@ephesym

After President Kennedy's push/mandate, the budget went down to those levels (I think it's been falling ever since).

The thing is that there are corporations and small businesses, like machine shops, that do jobs for NASA in construction and other things. There is a big business concern there to make money and that's what I mean by complicated.

Without the "War on Terror" and other things, NASA may've been alright, but other corporate (and banking) entities with the ears of our leaders can lobby for their continued comfort/existence in the wake of current economic problems. Of course, politicians (I would argue from ALL sides) want to cut spending, but they tend to leave in the pork for themselves and their friends and ask others to eat gristle yet again (it's not that Americans aren't unwilling to cut-back themselves, but they are tired of seeing others with more connections/money get a free-ride. This situation has happened before.)

Posted: Sep 12th 2011 1:43PM ephesym said

@Space Cobra

I get your point now, and I agree.

Posted: Sep 12th 2011 12:23PM nimzy said

This is what everyone dreamed Moonbase Alpha would become. I wish the best for these guys.

Posted: Sep 12th 2011 12:50PM ephesym said

@nimzy

I agree. If this game is done well, you will inspire many people, young and old, to learn more and more about science, technology, and the space program. They need a guy like Dr. Neil DeGrasse Tyson to promote it.

Posted: Sep 12th 2011 1:50PM Vandal said

I liked the dev talking about the game will be telling realistic sci-fi story. That should fit in well with RPG elements and allow the realism to balance with fun. As long as the story is good, this could be something fun.

Posted: Sep 12th 2011 1:55PM dudes said

• 1 heart
Good luck. Shame Obama shafted these dreams.

Posted: Sep 12th 2011 9:08PM drunkingamebar said

@dudes what do you mean 'these dreams', we'd be lucky if was only these dreams!

Posted: Sep 15th 2011 9:19AM Saerain said

@dudes By which you mean Bush.

Posted: Sep 12th 2011 2:04PM nc drake pilot said

um, putting "... and Beyond" at the end of your new title's name might be a mistake.

Posted: Sep 15th 2011 9:21AM Saerain said

Little note: the shuttle and the space station are not in the business of space “exploration,” and discontinuing at least the former allows NASA to engage in more exploration and less playing in microgravity.

Perfect Ten: My World of Warcraft launch memories