Posted: Sep 11th 2011 10:21AM syberghost said

In two years we won't be talking about which games are going to go F2P; we'll be talking about the tiny and shrinking handful of dinosaurs that haven't yet, and whether or not they'll do so in time to save themselves from oblivion.

Posted: Sep 11th 2011 10:44AM Bladerunner83 said

@syberghost

Interesting assumption, good thing you're not physic; I'd hate to see the end of the MMO genre in two years.

Posted: Sep 11th 2011 1:40PM JonGalt said

@syberghost

In two years, everyone will probably be playing Titan. Or waiting for Titan and that will set the standard going forward for the business model.

F2P is getting bigger now because gameplay innovation is so stale so the business model has to be slimmed. Lets be honest, most games out there are some variant of the "EQ/WoW" playstyle with 1-2 unique tweaks that WoW will eventually mimic at some point anyway. I have been struggling to find something remotely interesting to play until SWTOR comes out, which I fully achknowledge will be more or less the same experience as WoW.

Posted: Sep 11th 2011 2:27PM Bladerunner83 said

@JonGalt

"I have been struggling to find something remotely interesting to play until SWTOR comes out, which I fully achknowledge will be more or less the same experience as WoW. "

But at least its Star Wars! And we haven't had a polished Star Wars game since 2003, looking at you KOTOR.

Posted: Sep 11th 2011 3:24PM JonGalt said

@Bladerunner83

Agreed, even a straight WoW clone with the strength of the SW IP will be enough to keep me playing for a while. I played SWG for much longer than the game warranted on its own merits (post CU and even a bit of the NGE).

I guess my point was that something that brings something totally unique to the table will be able to charge a subscription fee. I am looking forward to SWTOR and I am going to give LOTRO a shot for the next couple months (my first f2p game) and I am looking forward to even that interim experience.

Posted: Sep 11th 2011 10:33AM BigAndShiny said

I hope that if there are f2p games only, we'll see 'subscription' servers in which there isn't an item shop.

Posted: Sep 11th 2011 11:17AM smartstep said

@BigAndShiny

yeah that what I want.

People can spend and buy whatever they like , like even character at max level in store I don't care.

I would love to pay some kind of premium higher than "normal" subscription to have no item shop server for me old dinosaur and all other big reptiles out there.

If there will be no item shop at all and a decent game up to 25$ month.

Posted: Sep 11th 2011 11:40AM BigAndShiny said

@smartstep
If TSW is good, I would pay $20/month for a server with no item shop.

Posted: Sep 11th 2011 1:07PM ApathyCurve said

Good god, look at that faux paneling. I haven't seen any of that hideous crap since the late '70s. Please tell me you're going for a retro-chic look...

Posted: Sep 11th 2011 4:01PM Valkenr said

In the first reader quote there was something far from the truth. Elitests and trolls are much more present in F2P games, the fact that they are free gives access to anyone who chooses, and i have found that the general atmosphere of f2p titles is knocked down a few pegs. And I don't care who you are, PC gaming is much more expensive than console gaming, if you are playing PC games, you can afford a monthly sub.

F2p is a great system to keep your game alive, and subscriptions are the best way to start. Take DCUO, it is built as a F2p game, but they charged a subscription for 9 hours of content a week. Thus it tanked.

I'm getting tired of this discussion of F2P vs P2P, it really holds no relevance. The game types are very different. The games that last and have a real backbone are P2P, because they have the certainty of a constant even cash-flow.

The problem now is weather an MMO will hold it's starting population. The days of WoW and EQ starting out are over. There are too many alternatives to choose from, if you don't like a game, you're out 50 bucks but you have 10 other games to choose from.

Lets take this discussion, wrap it up in chains, throw it in a box, and start discussing something of relevance:

What do new games need to hold on to players?

Betawatch: November 22 - 28, 2014