Posted: Sep 12th 2011 6:23PM Brendan Drain said

@Kalex716 The point is that while the games industry is generally like this, CCP has historically not been like this. They've always put EVE Online first, and given that it produces about 100% of their income, it's baffling that they might be deciding to do otherwise. CCP was one of the few games companies out there that did things right, and I think it's due in part to the fact they don't have a publisher or investors to placate.

Somewhere along the line, that has changed and EVE has suffered from having extremely poor development resources as a result. Every expansion since Apocrypha has either been produced on a shoe string budget or 90% of the work done on them has been discarded. There simply does not seem to be enough work produced to account for all the dev time EVE should be getting.

A lot of that time can probably be accounted for with the colossal time investment required for Incarna and the Carbon framework. They're technological masterpieces, don't get me wrong. The engine's stunning, and the characters are awesome. But we don't play a pretty graphics engine, efficient rendering techniques or well-structured development frameworks -- we play gameplay/content, and that's where the dev time has been taken from. I think every EVE player has the right to be annoyed at that. Even though we may see the benefits of an impressive engine or development framework in the future, right now we're being starved for content.

Posted: Sep 13th 2011 9:40AM Kalex716 said

@Brendan Drain

Whatever their resource allocation is these days, I agree with you, that bang for your buck time invested on getting 'walking in stations' up has been extremely costly without any real IMMEDIATE fun for the user base. Thats interesting because that is one of the fundamental parts of an agile process like scrum, you are supposed to know full well that the stuff you pipe is going to give users features they want, need, or have fun with (in games).

I definitely understand that this is a bet CCP is placing with the long run in mind, but it is bound to annoy its user base in the meantime and that's exactly what is going on here. But I still wouldn't ever be surprised that on the development floor, and in meeting rooms, discussions always get to the point where resource problems is your limitation. That's completely natural, lets just hope CCP is wise for their next few moves and they spend those slim resources much more respectively to having a good time.

Posted: Sep 12th 2011 12:21AM Utakata said

I'm not sure about this "Flying in Space" thing...but It seems with this Incarna expansion is where CCP has appeared to have "Jumped the Shark." Just saying.

Posted: Sep 12th 2011 12:42AM Azaetos said

If Incarna had of been what was touted previously as Ambulation it would have been a well received expansion by most players. But instead they release one room and it's hard not to view it as purely a vehicle to get their cash shop in the game as quickly as possible. Now I can see microtransactions being added to many aspects of Incarna.

The time and resources it has taken for what has been released with Incarna so far I think is what has ticked a number of people off. If CCP continue at that work rate then the rest of Incarna will be a long way off. Of course it doesn't help when CCP sight the lack of art resources as the reason why other FiS features are being held up due to those resources working on Incarna.

Also now with microtransactions being added to Incarna CCP has given a kick in the nutts to current and potential RP'ers. Funny how the supposed improved immersion with Incarna has actually been the opposite. If you are even remotely familiar with EVE's lore then CCP should have given you the choice to either enter the CQ's or remain in your pod/ship within the station.

Then there is the clothing, EVE used to have a very distict style but now it seems the people designing them are completely clueless when it comes to Sci-Fi. I have to wonder if these designers have even taken a glance at the old clothing or done any research into EVE's lore.

At the end of the day FiS is the foundation of EVE with CQ's and the station environment being supplemental to that. Imagine if General Motors decided to make garages instead of releasing any new cars for the next couple of years, I'm sure their car customers wouldn't be too thrilled.

Also when you see statements made by devs from WoD talking about it potentially having 2-3 times or greater the customer numbers as EVE then it's not hard to work out where CCP want to prioritise their efforts. I think only because of the vocal EVE community that it hasn't been all hands on deck working on WoD.

Posted: Sep 12th 2011 10:04AM Irem said

@Azaetos
Which is really too bad, because while I was originally very excited about the WoD MMO, taking a closer look at the way CCP is handling EVE has turned me off of it.

Posted: Sep 12th 2011 1:00AM psycros said

EVE has been circling the drain for years. CCP was either unable to get the funding they needed to really make it shine or they just didn't care. Either way, its a damn shame because when EVE shuts down it may well kill any investor interest in backing a similar project (at least ones that aren't based on a movie or TV series with "star" in its name).

Posted: Sep 12th 2011 2:51AM Nychus said

Unfortunately I've seen the pattern before and I'd guess higher up are giving the input from the White Wolf types greater consideration since the oattern looks the same as when White Wolf folded oWoD.

Posted: Sep 12th 2011 4:56AM Rodj Blake said

The really depressing thing is that so much of what's wrong with Eve wouldn't actually take that much effort on the part of CCP to fix.

They just refuse to make any effort at all.

Posted: Sep 12th 2011 5:17AM dudes said

The concept of EVE, Incarna and Dust combined looked so good on paper. In practice it's turning into a nickel and dime bloated monster that's dragging everything down. I suppose there is wisdom in the words of perhaps going 'back to basics'.

I understand CCP are a business and need to make cash, but when they were already making cash in a system that worked, well, if it ain't broke...

There are other ways to innovate and expand without crushing the current business model and game framework. That has forever gone now, especially after the Monoclegate disaster.Trust has been broken as reputation has too. And reputation is a brittle thing, once broken like glass, very difficult to repair. Good luck to CCP anyway, for what it's worth.

Posted: Sep 12th 2011 9:46AM Kalex716 said

@dudes

You are right, and this is typically the way EVE has always been. On Paper, when i describe my exploits and on goings of my eve characters to friends it sounds like the coolest game ever made... However, in reality, theirs so much boring down time it always seems to balance out.

If you ask me, what CCP needs to do as far as going back to basics go and their Incarna expansion is to make a little hall you go into. Down this little hall is a door into another room. This new room is a Casino with fully working table games of all kinds where the users can gamble their isk away in real time against other eve players. Win all around if they do this as gambling always makes people happy!

Posted: Sep 12th 2011 11:00AM Calfis said

@Kalex716

www.eohpoker.com

Posted: Sep 13th 2011 3:17AM (Unverified) said

I joined in the Apochrypa days 2009, and then played on and off for two years hating/pulling my hair on how to begin and where to begin. When I got back a month ago and the tutorial were so much better, npc agent finder, there is no turning back. fly safe!

Posted: Sep 13th 2011 6:15AM missingpiece said

As far as I am concerned, I am fine with supporting the "idea" of EVE Online : "A better game in future" with my subscription, and following everything around it via browser.

With Incarna, as limited as it still is, you must admit EVE does make for a much bigger and appealing selection of screenshots for articles and all...

0.0 in theory should also appeal to the non end-game player. Check out e. g. the "how to make 0.0 a capsuleer's home" discussions triggered by the FIS development team : https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=44194#post44194