Posted: Sep 10th 2011 8:59AM Eamil said

Here's one I thought was bad just because it was really pointless and stupid.

Back when WoW was first out, well before most people had hit the level cap, I was in a guild I don't even remember the name of anymore. They were a friendly bunch, but after a month or so the leader stopped coming online. So after a while of waiting and the leader never coming back, all the active members split off and formed another guild.

Here's the pointless and stupid part: After a few weeks, the new leader and officers created a Horde guild on a PvP server. They then played exclusively on that server, leaving those of us who didn't want to play on the PvP server in THE EXACT SAME SITUATION: We're in a guild with no active leaders.

We all just split off and found new guilds separately after that.

Posted: Sep 10th 2011 9:04AM Ref Minor said

The collapse of the Iron Union faction in Outer Empires was fairly dramatic, it led to two galaxy wide wars, the second lasting over 3 months of 24/7 war that also brought low the largest richest faction in game.

I was a member of the galactic council at this time (outer empires version of Eve CSM) and there was so much drama the council ended it's term with only 2 of the 5 members remaining.

Happy days, our alliance won.

Posted: Sep 10th 2011 9:04AM cowboyhugbees said

My RP-oriented kin in LotRO got off to a killer start - we had almost nightly gatherings, server-wide events, a genuinely good group of people, etc. All of the sudden, summer hit, and everyone at the same time just kind of stopped playing. Now, I'm back into it, and the kin is for all intents and purposes dead.

It was quite dramatic, actually. My head is still reeling a bit.

Posted: Sep 10th 2011 9:15AM Platypus Man said

Hands down, the worst guild death I've ever experienced was the Tabula Rasa roleplaying guild I was in. Things were great for a while, and we were having a really good time doing in-character patrols, fortress defenses, and missions. But strong personalities within the leadership started clashing -- mainly due to miscommunication, misunderstandings, and a decided lack of tact on the part of one of the participants. That kind of spread to the rank-and-file, and it all came to a head within the space of days. The guild collapsed. I'm not really doing it justice here -- it was UGLY. Some of the members tried to restart it a few months later, but then the game went belly-up. :(

It sounds cheesy, but I've noticed that I haven't gotten super-involved or really close to another guild since... I've joined other guilds, and participated in them, but the thing with the TR guild left a really bad taste in my mouth.

Posted: Sep 10th 2011 9:20AM Quarlo said

I was the guild leader of a small guild in WoW. We were all friends who knew each other, tho some of us had moved out of town, but we kept in touch using WoW.

We decided to start raiding as a guild and took on Kharazan for the first time. After taking down Attumen the Huntsman the raid leader accidentally gave a piece of loot to the wrong players (this was before they gave epic loot items the ability to be transfered just incase this sort of thing happened).

Well, things blew up. FAST. Before I knew it the 'loser' of the loot felt that this was done 'on purpose' to deny him is epic loot and left the raid, then the guild. The guild itself divided upon which camp they supported: the lootmaster or the lootloser. Within days the guild was a shell of its prior self as those who supported the lootloser left and others left to avoid 'drama'.

The lootmaster and the lootloser were friends who knew each other for 8 years and they still dont talk to each other to this day.

Posted: Sep 10th 2011 9:40AM Skiim said

@Quarlo

Loot or not, they're both losers imo..how do people take games so seriously

Posted: Sep 10th 2011 9:59AM ElfLove said

@Quarlo

It's a wonder why people don't want to raid anymore.

Raids: Destroying lifelong friendships since their creation.

Posted: Sep 10th 2011 5:24PM ChaosInc said

@Quarlo
It is this exact reason I've never got into raiding. Too many self-entitled people out there who bitch and whine when they don't get the loot "they deserve".

Over the years raiding has turned from "let's do some challenging content together and have fun" to "I NEDZ DA GERZ 4 MY EPEEN!! GTFO OF THE FIRE NOOB!!!"

You can keep it.

Posted: Sep 11th 2011 3:31AM OutThere said

@ChaosInc

Yes, I'd have to agree that quarrels over loot and raid related issues are major reasons for guild breakups. My guilds have been the beneficiary of some of these, but I avoid raiding guilds because of the drama and so have never witnessed the pyrotechnics.

Posted: Sep 10th 2011 9:38AM FrostPaw said

Raid Leader Quit for another guild and took half the active members with them after arguing with the guild leader over the number of players allowed to raid who didn't do it reguarly.

Was quite sad, I had only been with the guild a month or so but they were all decent friendly people and to divide them up over that seemed a silly thing to do. I stayed with the original guild leader but we never really recovered after that.

Posted: Sep 10th 2011 9:41AM l0cke said

Okay, so I have to list at least three because I've been playing MMOs since EQ1's launch.

1) EQ1 Fennin Ro: My first guild fell apart after the guild leaders (a couple) ebay'd their accounts and didn't tell anyone (or disband the guild). So... all the "guild bank" (before guild banks) went with them.

2) EQ2 PvP Nagafen and Vanguard PvP Tharridon: So, we played with this guild for awhile. People stumbled onto it largely because of myself and the perma-group of people I had going. The guild leader played drama games and politics to pull people away from me in the guild a lot, but I'm largely a solo player anyhow so that was fine, I like playing and contributing so didn't really make it an issue. So... I find out the guild leader took all the items and platinum that I gave the guild bank and sold them on the auction system, then sold the platinum and made around $30,000... I was pissed. I'm extremely good at finding things to farm and by reporting my farming afterward I usually keep my "exploited gains". Time went by, people suggested I be an officer because I had the highest play time of any. I didn't leave because there were too many people that wouldn't leave, that I was close to and some of my guild-mates were interesting people who had game dev careers. So... long story short, we proved that the guild's leaders were all either nepotism products or RL friends who had nothing to do with accomplishments in the game for the guild. The guild leader got about 50 people banned for rallying the guild to exploit a PvP mechanic and let his RL drama (divorce) come into the guild far too often... That was the last straw and killed enough of the guild that the core of the guild, even his friends abandoned him.

3) More recently, Rift: I logged in to see a ton of people on and asked someone I enjoyed talking to and grouping with to join their guild. This was at launch, BTW. I played with them for a week, then took a three week break for work. I logged back in and it showed the last time logged in for other players was 2 1/2 weeks ago. I logged in again and no one was on but the roster still showed 230 people. I logged on and played for about a week about one month ago and the guild was still there, still had nearly 200 people but _no one_ _ever_ logged in. I play a lot, sometimes 4-12 hours a day at various time, split up during the day and night, I didn't miss anyone.

Heh, I think I'm going to write a Guild Stories blog post for my blog now.

Posted: Sep 10th 2011 10:59AM Jackleope said

@l0cke Haha, I know exactly what guild you're talking about on Nagafen, I was in it for a while too and even through the mass banning. That I take partial responsibility for since a few others and I were the ones that taught him how to do it. He just got the entire guild involved and took it to a ridiculous level. Funny enough, none of the originals got banned, just the ones that he suckered into mass exploiting the mechanic that weren't max level yet. Sadly, those stories don't even begin to describe the drama that surrounds that guild leader everywhere he goes.

Posted: Sep 10th 2011 1:55PM Elloa said

@l0cke I left Rift exactly for those reasons. The first weeks it was awesome fun. Then it became desert land. Don't know where were gone everyone.

Posted: Sep 10th 2011 9:56AM Eamil said

I'm not sure this story quite counts but I feel like it deserves a mention.

Posted: Sep 10th 2011 10:31AM Jade Effect said

My guild in Guild Wars has the maximum 100 members and there's always players logged in. Inactive members are kicked and new members are constantly brought in.

However, I wouldn't call it a living guild. It's just a collection of people whose favorite topics are on how they're solo'ing in their little instance corner for armor crafting materials, or doing speed runs, or grabbing titles. We don't meet up, we don't group up with one another, nobody knows or cares what the other members are doing, the whole guild is pretty pointless. It's just a chat channel. Kinda like Kamadan local chat, minus the kiddy drivel and flaming.

Posted: Sep 10th 2011 11:21AM AnathemaOne said

My story has a happy ending.

I was in the leading Horde raid guild on a small WoW server. There was some drama between the guildmaster, his girlfriend (who was in the guild), and one of the senior officers. A lot of petty sniping and backstabbing ensued at the officer level, though the rank and file member knew little of it. Apparently it came to a head, and in a secret overnight move, the guildmaster and almost all of the officers left the guild to move to another server and start over. They took everything from the guild bank, and left one of their alts as GM.

None of the remaining players had any guild permissions - we couldn't even invite new players - so we were essentially locked inside a dead, penniless guild. All that work, down the drain. The senior officer that had been part of the initial drama remained with us, and negotiated a deal with another raid guild to take all of us en masse. As it turns out, the guild that accepted us really needed the players, and when we merged, they were now able to do 40-man content again.

Raiding life started anew.

The happy part? The guild leaders that fled to the other server failed to hold it together for more than two weeks. Our former guildmaster, the architect of the betrayal, returned to our server as an Alliance player and joined the best Alliance raid guild on the server. He even used the same character name, and baited us on the forums.

One day, while he was leveling in Tanaris and his guild was raiding, my brother and I found him. Long story short: we kill-camped him for two hours, calling a couple of other former guild members to assist with the retribution. Since his entire guild was raiding, they could not help him. It was the first and only time I've ever camped another player, and to this day, I do not feel bad about it. Not at all.

Posted: Sep 10th 2011 11:41AM Hexedian said

The worst I've seen is a slow, quiet death.

Because of game mechanics, in Atlantica Online, small guilds that are part of large nations just aren't viable, so our little, friendly guild was "asked" to welcome a few outside players.

From there on, the new people just started taking all the big decisions; players from the old guild just left, stopped playing much or just quit the game altogether. The guild was still alive, but it was still a shadow of its past self - where there used to be a few friendly people, suddenly there was a bunch of kids screaming louder than anyone else and thinking the world owed them. The guild was effectively dead.

Posted: Sep 10th 2011 12:31PM (Unverified) said

The worst one I've seen was when our small very casual and very tight guild in WoW decided to merge with a guild about four times our size so that we had more grouping options. We had most of the levels at the time, they had the sheer numbers.

Before the merger we did everything correctly I thought. The officers all had sit downs and discussed what worked in each guild and what didn't. Members were encouraged to group together to make sure that everybody meshed. The leadership situation was discussed and figured out with little issue with our guild leader becoming an officer in the new guild and myself and two others becoming officers as well. Everything looked great for the month that we worked things out.

A solid week after merging, both guilds feel apart. I'm still clueless how everything snowballed so quickly after so much groundwork was laid out, but it was the first and last guild merger I would (or will) ever be a part of.

Posted: Sep 10th 2011 12:48PM Icemasta said

Here is an hilarious one. We were the third strongest guild in Darkfall, we had several towns under our wing, and we were the first in term of amount of players. There was one major problem, that I discussed several times with my fellow officers at the time, and it was that the guild master was a 13 years old brat who just invited everyone to his guild and it worked out for him because several of us officer to it upon ourselves to grow the guild. Anyway, fast forward to a little skirmish between and enemy guild and ours, and an enemy guild glitched the capture of a town, generally when this happen you report it to the GMs, they show up in minutes and fix it, but to our collective ignorance the young guild master was discussing the guild master of the enemy guild. The enemy guild master told our guild master to disband the guild so the town wasn't in contention anymore and that they would do the same and everyone would go on their merry way.

So he did it, and our massive guild was instantly disbanded, losing our 6 towns, and sadly we were the ridicule of the DArkfall community for a while. The guy jumped on the forum and raged for like a week before leaving.

Posted: Sep 10th 2011 1:18PM (Unverified) said

while playing World of Warcraft i witnessed a small group of elitest jerks decide that they were the ones holding the guild together so they left and tried to poach people for their group. They tried to form a ten man guild for about 2 years and never succeeded because of their nasty attitudes, their guild finally died off and they transfered to another server. It was sad really, people like that should be pitied.

WRUP: Queue zen